AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

At least the announcements also provided some information on the heritage of the TrueAudio DSP, which uses DSPs from Tensilica, which have a bit part in the console drama and--in a soap opera twist--have been standing behind us all along inside of Bonaire.

I'm not sure Curaçao really is just Pitcairn. After all, Pitcairn was supposed to have much smaller (and slower) memory PHYs than Tahiti, but here Curaçao's memory is faster than the HD 7970's (non-GHz Edition).

Something must have changed.

I'm not sure Curaçao really is just Pitcairn. After all, Pitcairn was supposed to have much smaller (and slower) memory PHYs than Tahiti, but here Curaçao's memory is faster than the HD 7970's (non-GHz Edition).

1. improvements in process variability etc? who wants to be making SKU's based off memory bus PHY performance.
2. maybe Pitcairn just had a better implementation, it did come 3 months later.

maybe a little of both?

Last edited by a moderator:

I thought so too, but AMD specifically says it's the same GPU that was in the 7800 series (their words, not mine).

Does anyone know when we will hear about the 270/280 pro models? it's obvious they will release them at some point due to the XT models both being full chips.

Not really as all reviews list it as 1280 and call it Pitcairn.

yeah, but prior to the launch there was a lot of talk about the 1536 or 7950 at 256bit config appearing as the 270X and still stuff like the links you posted. The whole launch has been a bit weird.

Scandal! :LOL:

http://www.4gamer.net/games/234/G023455/20131006001/

http://www.4gamer.net/games/234/G023455/20131006001/SS/003.jpg
Broken EVGA card and senior vice president and chief marketing officer Colette LaForce. In another picture Matt Skynner? jumping on this card.

If you cant crush the competition in benchmarks, than you can at least crush their hardware on your GPU day? :rolleyes:

Not really as all reviews list it as 1280 and call it Pitcairn.
According to Hardware.fr it is called Curacao internally. Also the number on the GPU indicates some higher revision of Pitcairn.
It could be interessting if partner could also unleash a close to 6Gbps potential on Hawaii with faster memory chips.

Back