AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

But the 260x is the only other chip to feature TrueAudio isn't it? So does that mean they've added it for the re-launch or that it's already there and just not activated? Hopefully they'll up the bandwidth a good bit. The 7790 is horribly bandwidth limited.
Doesn't look THAT bandwidth limited to me - its ALU/bandwidth ratio is just marginally (5%) higher than that of the 7770, which is quite balanced too. But certainly using 7gbps chips would give it some boost.

But the 260x is the only other chip to feature TrueAudio isn't it? So does that mean they've added it for the re-launch or that it's already there and just not activated? Hopefully they'll up the bandwidth a good bit. The 7790 is horribly bandwidth limited.

First, the 260 is a low end card .. ( its not the GTX 660 ( i joke ) ) .. he said pcb and memory have been changed ( different, pcb, features, and memory size ) .. so bandwith is increased it seems . The core is the same, clock could be increased, so i can imagine, Bonnaire who was not so bad balanced, could be not so bad there..

It seems likely AMD partners will be able to use 7900 series coolers, so it may not be long after launch that we will see none reference designs(yay).

Cooler design are allways adaptable.. ofc you will see the same design from MSI ( with minor change ).. and Asus ( DCIII ) etc ..

Last edited by a moderator:
AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-GPUZ.png

It seems that based on GPU-Z screen shot, Memory clock has xx00MHz.

Speculation based on GPU-Z will be 1200MHz (Which based on AMD slide over 300GB's bandwidth) @1200MHz will give 307GB's memory bandwidth over 512bit bus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think going more than ~300GB's bandwidth for R9 290X will be overkill, that is why my best guess AMD could clock it @1200MHz over 512bit bus.

Doesn't look THAT bandwidth limited to me - its ALU/bandwidth ratio is just marginally (5%) higher than that of the 7770, which is quite balanced too. But certainly using 7gbps chips would give it some boost.

Dave Bauman said the XB1 will be faster than Bonaire when using its esram. Given that Bonaire is a much faster core I can only conclude from that that its memory bandwidth is constraining it to sub 12cu at 850Mhz levels of potential.

Dave Bauman said the XB1 will be faster than Bonaire when using its esram. Given that Bonaire is a much faster core I can only conclude from that that its memory bandwidth is constraining it to sub 12cu at 850Mhz levels of potential.
The 7850 has 60% more BW (and twice the ROPs), yet is only 15-20% faster with equal tflops. It's a bit of a stretch to say that the 7790 is "horribly BW limited".

This is a VI thread, not a "is mantle evil?" thread. I don't think we have a shortage of those. ;)

AMD-Radeon-R9-290X-GPUZ.png

It seems that based on GPU-Z screen shot, Memory clock has xx00MHz.

Speculation based on GPU-Z will be 1200MHz (Which based on AMD slide over 300GB's bandwidth) @1200MHz will give 307GB's memory bandwidth over 512bit bus.
dx11.1?

ROP count is the only discrepancy (44 instead of 64) but the rest falls in line with what most of the rumors talk about.

If the ROPs go with shader engines, then 4 shader engines each have 16 ROPs, similar to Tahiti having 16 ROPs for each of its two shader engines.

I think Hawaii has 4 tesselators. How could they double Tahiti's tesallation performance at same clock ?
Maybe 4 "geometry engines" ?

BF4 pre-order bundle with card specs: http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hard...bundle_limited_edition__battlefield_4_premium

Specifikationer:
• GPU Codename - Hawaii
• GPU Process - 28nm
• Stream Processors - 2816
• TMUs - 176
• ROPs - 44
• Base Clock - 800 MHz
• Turbo Clock - 1000 MHz
• VRAM - 4GB GDDR5
• Memory Bus - 512-Bit
• Memory Clock - 1250 MHz (5GHz Effective)
• Memory Bandwidth - 320 GBps
• Power Configuration - 8+6 Pin
• PCB VRM - 5+1+1
• Die Size - 424mm2
• Transistors - 6 billion
• 3D Technology - DirectX 11.2, OpenGL 4.3 and Mantle
• Audio Technology - AMD TrueAudio

As usual price marked up all to hell and obviously there's still a chance the specs might be wrong.

BF4 pre-order bundle with card specs: http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hard...bundle_limited_edition__battlefield_4_premium

Specifikationer:
• GPU Codename - Hawaii
• GPU Process - 28nm
• Stream Processors - 2816
• TMUs - 176
• ROPs - 44
• Base Clock - 800 MHz
• Turbo Clock - 1000 MHz
• VRAM - 4GB GDDR5
• Memory Bus - 512-Bit
• Memory Clock - 1250 MHz (5GHz Effective)
• Memory Bandwidth - 320 GBps
• Power Configuration - 8+6 Pin
• PCB VRM - 5+1+1
• Die Size - 424mm2
• Transistors - 6 billion
• 3D Technology - DirectX 11.2, OpenGL 4.3 and Mantle
• Audio Technology - AMD TrueAudio

As usual price marked up all to hell and obviously there's still a chance the specs might be wrong.

They had to lower the clock to 800MHz from 7970. Interesting. Modern high end GPUs are really pushing up against thermal barriers. Or perhaps, with the powertune, they intend to sell the low leakage parts only as OC cards.

44 ROPs look weird.

A few other things would likely need to be tweaked to fit as nicely as a 16-wide ROP array fits in a 64-wide wavefront, or cache lines and memory bursts with lengths that are multiples of 16.

Back