AMD: Volcanic Islands R1100/1200 (8***/9*** series) Speculation/ Rumour Thread

Thats indeed a really good question.. what happened with thoses cfx connectors.. Well if they are not "retail", could imagine they are just missing on some ES PCB.

Thats indeed a really good question.. what happened with thoses cfx connectors.. Well if they are not "retail", could imagine they are just missing on some ES PCB.
I've never seen before an ES SKU to lack this feature. The leaked shots of the naked board were pretty clear in this regard.

Charlie says the lack of CF connector does not imply the lack of CF, which does suggest something through PCI-E.

And Scott said "Although we can't yet divulge too many details, we expect Hawaii-based graphics cards to arrive with a very capable solution for CrossFire frame compositing and pacing already in place." [before the new driver, that is.]

So yeah, I think there's some sort of improved CrossFire solution with Hawaii.

Something interesting:

I've checked my details more closesly:-

R270X is a cripped HD 7950, 2GB and 256-bit reduced from 3GB and 384-Bit.
Think HD 7950 GPU on a 7870 PCB/RAM config.
So no 280/270 pro models?

The 290 has 2 x 6-pin, while the 280x has 1 8pin and 1 6pin. Definitely a rebranded 7970 and not 7950 in that case. Good to see that the 290 (pro) is 2 x 6pin also.

Dave, I'm sure these new babies are going to be fast enough and all, but my concern is with the blower. It looks like the fan on the 290x is a bit bigger than the 7970-fan, which should indicate lower revs and therefore lower noise, any comment on that?

Then what are they?.AMD has just presented them and the only thing about their architecture mentioned was they are GCN and also we had the 3dmark figures that only lead to think in similar performance to existing products.

They have new reference coolers and likely different reference clocks, so using a restrictive definition of rebrand they cannot be called such.

Then what are they?.AMD has just presented them and the only thing about their architecture mentioned was they are GCN and also we had the 3dmark figures that only lead to think in similar performance to existing products.

The cards may be new, the chips probably aren't.

That only the low and highest end parts got the (probably quite small) audio DSP, screams rebrand for those who didn't.

The cards may be new, the chips probably aren't.

Which we would all call rebrands then, and I don't think Dave would twist the definition when he could just keep his mouth shut..

GCN1.epsilon, where epsilon is they added a TruLed to the boards, like no other led before it. Or a TruScrew:p

So much for the myth about AMD promoting only open standards and Nvidia being the big bad proprietary company.

People don't dislike Nvidia just because of their proprietary bullshit, it's for a lot of reasons.

Lets see how the AMD defense force tries to spin and damage control this one.
Damage control? In case you missed it most AMD fanbois are too busy celebrating to care.

Enjoy your Glide API 2013.
I sure will, and I hope you enjoy your slow assed DX11 version too.

Back