How important is legacy to you?

How many 10+ year old games you've bought have you played since 2010?

• 0, none, nada. I don't do old games

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • One? I'm sure I had a look at something old a while back

Votes: 13 19.1%
  • Two or three. I like to crack out a favourite PS1 or NES title every now and then

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Quite a few. I like replaying old classics

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Loads! New games are crap. Gameplay >>> graphics!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I either don't understand, or refuse to answer, but I demand an option to record my abstention!

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
I somewhat agree with Phil's assessment going forward, and posted as much in the other poll (or maybe starting typing and then gave up with other stuff to do). Uncharted isn't going to age anything like as much as FFX with it's super-shimmer grass or anything on PS1 with its triangles and chunky pixels and lousy shading. 2D games often aged better and anything 2D now as going to look just as good in 20 years time. eg. Pixel Junk Monsters (1080p 2D game) will still be a good looking, good playing game in twenty years.

There are some genres that also haven't been continued and there's reason to go back to them. Elite is still worth playing as there hasn't been a decent sequel. XWing vs. Tie Fighter is another - that whole space-combat genre is dead on consoles. There are also 4X titles which had their hey-day in the 90s. XCOM got a remake, but it still doesn't play like the original so there's reason to go play the old game. If any of these got HD remakes though, just the same game unchanged but spruced up, the interest in playing the originals would be gone

I somewhat agree with Phil's assessment going forward, and posted as much in the other poll (or maybe starting typing and then gave up with other stuff to do). Uncharted isn't going to age anything like as much as FFX with it's super-shimmer grass or anything on PS1 with its triangles and chunky pixels and lousy shading. 2D games often aged better and anything 2D now as going to look just as good in 20 years time. eg. Pixel Junk Monsters (1080p 2D game) will still be a good looking, good playing game in twenty years.

There are some genres that also haven't been continued and there's reason to go back to them. Elite is still worth playing as there hasn't been a decent sequel. XWing vs. Tie Fighter is another - that whole space-combat genre is dead on consoles. There are also 4X titles which had their hey-day in the 90s. XCOM got a remake, but it still doesn't play like the original so there's reason to go play the old game. If any of these got HD remakes though, just the same game unchanged but spruced up, the interest in playing the originals would be gone

Perhaps. But I'm going to say that there's going to be a fairly massive jump in graphics going from this generation to the next. For me, it's likely to be as large or larger than the one going from the previous generation to the current one. To me, console games are like what PC games were like back in 2005. And just like consoles games have only advanced incrementally in that time so has most PC games due to the console centric nature of the gaming industry now.

But when you consider that the new console generation will herald in a significant advancement not only in consoles but in the PC space as well, that's going to be a massive jump. If things like tessellated geometry, POM, compute based physics (think TressFX, clothing, etc.), more realistic lighting models, significantly improved texture resolution, etc. become the norm then the visible graphics jump is going to be quite startling for many people.

While not perfect TressFX in PC Tomb Raider makes it difficult to look at traditional hair rendering in games without thinking they look ancient and outdated.

In the same way, after having seen tessellated geometry and POM used quite well in Crysis 2, it's extremely difficult to play anything else without feeling that the graphics are so bad that it might not be worth playing them.

The biggest road block is whether developers can actually afford to really take advantage of the potential available. If they can, people that have only gamed on X360/PS3 are going to have their minds blown away.

I'd imagine it'll even blow away many PC gamers.

Regards,
SB

When i buy SNES, i did not miss with NES game.
When i get PS2, i did not miss PS1 games
When i get Xbox 360, i know nothing about Xbox 1 game

this for me as well I voted 1 because I think I played a Gamecube game a couple years ago :smile:

shouldn't we figure out who plays them on the original hardware ? I play a lot of games emulated in my custom arcade unit that I made but I rarely ever break out old consoles

Games I've had for ages that I've played in the last 2 years:

X-COM: UFO Defense
Blood
Doom II
Duke Nukem 3D
Panzer General

More than I said in the poll, actually. They're all PC games because I bought my first console in 2003.

I don't really give a crap about graphics. For me, it's more about whether or not I'm getting bored with what I have. Most PS3 games look boring to me, so I keep playing COD and BF3 over and over again.

As for 10 year old games I have on hand... My main issue is I rented a lot of my absolute favorites 10-18 years ago due to a lack of funds, so I must either buy them or emulate them(Or both as I mentioned earlier).

I need to buy another genesis and a small ass TV for my room, but lack of space in it. :( I wanna play Streets of Rage 2 unemulated dammit. I've had that game since 1997 and I love it so goddamned much. It's the pinnacle of beat 'em ups, IMO.

Edit: Also doesn't help I discovered a lot more via emulation and the original carts are now pricy as fuck. I mean, the average price of a copy of Gunstar Heroes is about 45 bucks on ebay(Though there are cheaper ones). I shudder to think what would happen if I went after any of the classic SNES RPGs I loved renting as a kid... Let's look up the poorly translated near masterpiece Breath of Fire 2. Most of the listings are japanese carts if I wanna do the SNES version. If I go GBA, I get a much lower on average price, but my GBAs are the original model. It'd be better to buy it from WiiWare in my case.

I'm not even gonna try FF3 or Earthbound, a game that will never be reprinted in the US because a lot of the music was, well, ripoffs of various famous songs. the copyright issues in the US for that game are immense and thus it'll never happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows if someone will pay that? I saw that FF3 with the box and manual, but opened, is selling for around $50 to $60. It just goes to show that collectibles depreciate rapidly with use.

Perhaps. But I'm going to say that there's going to be a fairly massive jump in graphics going from this generation to the next. For me, it's likely to be as large or larger than the one going from the previous generation to the current one. To me, console games are like what PC games were like back in 2005. And just like consoles games have only advanced incrementally in that time so has most PC games due to the console centric nature of the gaming industry now.

But when you consider that the new console generation will herald in a significant advancement not only in consoles but in the PC space as well, that's going to be a massive jump. If things like tessellated geometry, POM, compute based physics (think TressFX, clothing, etc.), more realistic lighting models, significantly improved texture resolution, etc. become the norm then the visible graphics jump is going to be quite startling for many people.

While not perfect TressFX in PC Tomb Raider makes it difficult to look at traditional hair rendering in games without thinking they look ancient and outdated.

In the same way, after having seen tessellated geometry and POM used quite well in Crysis 2, it's extremely difficult to play anything else without feeling that the graphics are so bad that it might not be worth playing them.

The biggest road block is whether developers can actually afford to really take advantage of the potential available. If they can, people that have only gamed on X360/PS3 are going to have their minds blown away.

I'd imagine it'll even blow away many PC gamers.

Regards,
SB
The problem with Tress FX is that it is a resource hog, even for the most powerful graphics cards.

Back into subject, like I said before, certain games pass the tests of time.

For others... it's just that I have enough of a back log to last me years. I still have tons of games I haven't had time to play nor I touched.

There are some classic games that just like great music, black and white and silent movies, etc, are always present and alive. :smile:

In other words, just like music and movies, old games don't die-- sometimes they even get a remake.

It's not only nostalgia which brings old games into the new technologies like those you mention -tessellation, POM, etc- and modern days, but quality, imho.

Regards

Okay I'm gonna link to this because it made me laugh

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Final-Fantasy-III-3-Super-Nintendo-SNES-VGA-85-Gold-Rating-Brand-New-/130873199665?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item1e78a68c31

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no.

For the record, I have no issue downloading this game because I owned the PSX version of it for a while. That was a terrible reissue.
:oops: Holy moly, I want 100.

Played FFVI, VII, VIII, IX and XII (never found X and X-2 new here :() in the last two to three years.
They are PS1 classics, but actually still look quite well in some cases on an HDTV.

A good game (no, a great game!) can stand the test of time. Maybe the graphical aspect won't be as stunning as it once was, but if the game mechanic(s) hasn't been duplicated in a better game, then I really don't care.

Games I've had for ages that I've played in the last 2 years:

X-COM: UFO Defense
Blood
Doom II
Duke Nukem 3D
Panzer General

More than I said in the poll, actually. They're all PC games because I bought my first console in 2003.

I don't really give a crap about graphics. For me, it's more about whether or not I'm getting bored with what I have. Most PS3 games look boring to me, so I keep playing COD and BF3 over and over again.
BC is super important, specially on PC. On consoles maybe not so much, EXCEPT if they had infinite BC and games were adapted to new resolutions and filters over time -the ideal-.

On PC though, playing games you love soooo so much like the Mass Effect series at 1440p 165fps nowadays -more in the future-, is priceless.

I've just started playing kingdoms of amalur again. And I bought Dead Island remastered, COD, Uncharted, and some others. So basically if I liked the experience enough I'm happy to re-buy a newer version on a newer platform.

I took out my saturn and replayed panzer dragoon saga . I am ready for the port of panzer dragoon on pc next week !

I have my PS3/360 hooked up to my television as well as my Wii U and Dreamcast on the second HDMI input on my dual monitors. I have a retropie arcade machine that goes chronologically through the Dreamcast.

It's very big for me to be able to play yesteryear's games if I have the itch to do so. Don't mind my sheet as a curtain, I was waiting for blinds to be delivered. :D

2020-08-01-17-53-47_AATSC.jpg

1596770057498947-1.png

Back