Strange Resolution Issue with Lego Batman and HD7750

sir doris

Regular
MODs: Not sure if this is the best forum for this topic, so please feel free to place this to a more appropriate area.

I've got an issue with my HPTC where the ingame resolution setting is only having limited effect of the resolution the PC is outputting.

The PC normally runs in 720p, with no overscan, this is desktop and games such as CS:GO, Burnout Paradise and Dirt 3.

The PC is connected to a 720p projector (IN76) which can accept 1080p (@24/ 25/ 30/ 48/ 50/ 60Hz) via the HDMI output of the HD7750.

When I select 720p (and 16:9 aspect ratio) in Lego Batman the PC outputs 1080p (as reported by the IN76) and massively overscans the image, even though overscan is off on the projector and off in Catalyst Control Centre. If I select 1080p in Lego Batman the image is the same. If I select 800x600 in Lego Batman the PC outputs 1280x768 (720p) with boarders.

I'm using Catalyst 13.1 and Windows 8 Pro.

Anyone got any ideas what's going on?

"When I select 720p (and 16:9 aspect ratio) in Lego Batman the PC outputs 1080p"
thats your problem why would it do that if you select 720p it should output 720p
why is this game not outputting what its told to ?
what scaling options do you have set in ccc ?
sounds like you have gpu scaling enabled with maintain aspect ratio

sounds like you have gpu scaling enabled with maintain aspect ratio

This is almost certainly what is going on. That scaling only works with digital outputs IIRC, so I bet if you used VGA the problem would go away.

Or you could just disable scaling in the driver. Yeah that would be the better option.

This is almost certainly what is going on. That scaling only works with digital outputs IIRC, so I bet if you used VGA the problem would go away.

Or you could just disable scaling in the driver. Yeah that would be the better option.

Thanks for the replies.

Scaling is disabled in the Catalyst Control Centre, the 'enable GPU scaling' option is unticked. Like I said the desktop and other games are fine.

Is GPU scaling resolution dependant? If I change the desktop to 1080p might I find GPU scaling enabled? I'm still totally baffeled as to why it's just this game. All the other games are set to 720p.

I'll double check the settings tonight.

your desktop res should make no difference, are you sure all projector scaling is disabled (run a game at 800x600 if you dont see black borders it isnt)
ps; can you not quickly connect to a tv ?
try enabling gpu scaling -- use centered timings

I don't know anything about AMD drivers so I'll bow out now. I still suggest trying a VGA connection and see what happens. Just for testing, obviously I wouldn't count that as a solution even if it works.

I don't know anything about AMD drivers so I'll bow out now. I still suggest trying a VGA connection and see what happens. Just for testing, obviously I wouldn't count that as a solution even if it works.

I would but I don't have a VGA cable long enough go reach the projector, in fact I don't have a VGA cable at all.

ps: you said the projector can accept 1080p @60hz over hdmi
according to the manual it cant 1080i @60hz max
(it can only accept 1080p @60hz over component)

try
game
res 1280x720

ccc
no gpu scaling or (gpu scaling -- use centered timings)

projector
try changing service - hdmi edid (may need to reboot)
aspect ratio native or (16:9)

ps: you said the projector can accept 1080p @60hz over hdmi
according to the manual it cant 1080i @60hz max
(it can only accept 1080p @60hz over component)

try
game
res 1280x720

ccc
no gpu scaling or (gpu scaling -- use centered timings)

projector
try changing service - hdmi edid (may need to reboot)
aspect ratio native or (16:9)

will give it a go, although the IN76 got a few firmware upgrades, when I bought it it couldn't take 1080p24 from blurays, but that was patched and it now accepts 1080p48 which is how I play blurays. will take a look in a bit, thanks.

Well, this is embarrassing, turns out it was good old fashioned user error.

In my rage I must have repeatedly chosen 1280x768 instead of 1280x720. I even did it again tonight. It was only when I looked at a photo I had taken of the config screen I spotted my error.

I assume as generally only HDTV resolutions are accepted over HDMI that anything above 720p was being bumped up to 1080p, not sure what was happening with the scaling though.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Back