Crossfiring Original 7970 with Voltage Locked 7970

sir doris

Regular
I have an original Gigabyte 7970 OC (GV-R797OC-3GD) which I can adjust the voltage on, and I'm considering adding another.

The current version of the Gigabyte 7970 OC (also GV-R797OC-3GD) apparently has it's voltage locked, although the core/ memory speeds are the same. Is this likely to cause any issues if I used one of these with my original 7970.

I understand that Crossfire isn't supposed to care about designations, brands or even some models of GPU, however I've read of people having problems crossfiring GPU's (7950) from different vendors. And although it was Nvidia and not AMD, my brother never got his 2 EVGA GTX260 Blacks (1 65nm and 1 55nm) playing nicely.

Cheers :)

There shouldn't be any problems, even if the clocks were different.

Maybe your brother was trying to make SLI work with two graphics cards with a different number of activated shader units? There were some GTX 260 with 216 activated shaders and others with 192.

There shouldn't be any problems, even if the clocks were different.

Maybe your brother was trying to make SLI work with two graphics cards with a different number of activated shader units? There were some GTX 260 with 216 activated shaders and others with 192.

Thanks for the reply. As for my brother, no both 216 versions, but they did have different clocks, and he did try setting them the same. He even upgraded to a motherboard with a top end Nvidia chipset (680sli?).

You have to be careful as mismatches can cause issues.

A friend had a 6950 and and both were modded to run 6970 which caused him no end of grief. After reading on the forums he had to put them both back to 6950 to get them to work in Crossfire.

Flash the bios of the card with the locked voltage and bingo.... Both cards will have unlocked voltage.

And with the dual BIOS switch the cards have its easy to not screw it up.

Back