KILLZONE Shadow Fall [PS4]

As for what I was expecting from next gen:

1)Every light will cast shadows including grwnades and projectiles.
2)POM on all surfaces.
3)TrueHDR lighting and realtime GI on somelights like flashlights and sun.
4)Good hair and cloth physics
5)Partial destructability on max objects.

and I am expecting it most from GG. Hope Siny doesn't force them into releasing the game prematurely.

You can find a lossless (I think) version here:

http://presscenter.playstation.com
Username: SCEA
Password: SC3APR

Events -> Playstation Meeting 2013 -> Software -> Killzone
Click the arrow icon and it should download.

There is also an Infamous video you can find in the same way from the press release site that is claimed to be in game material... According to others you can see aliasing in it as well.

I don't see the same problem with the smoke density, but I am definitely not as fluent in technologies as most of you guys lol. I'll take your word for it, but overall I think it looked really, really good.

An example of smoke I liked:

http://i.minus.com/ibvZ53RXBDlNFL.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibyp6xWb096Bd3.gif

Also I loved the realtime reflections. At the point in the video when he throws the grenade down the stairs, the smoke plume reflects off the wall, that was one of my favourite parts.... Simple to most of you I bet, but that one really caught my eye for some reason... All the lit up smoke particles from environment lighting was great too... I also liked when the helghast shot from the plane... His shadow enveloped the inside.... So crystal clear... Wow...

Finally someone shares my view.

The cityscape and huge waterfall in the KZ4 scene does remind me of Lair. ;-)

They should be able to do a good open world dragon game now. :devilish:

Well.... Imagine Factor 5 doing Star Wars Rogue Squadron now...

The tech is finally here... Episodes 4 to 6 only please...........

3)TrueHDR lighting and realtime GI on somelights like flashlights and sun.

What do you mean by true HDR? The lighting looks no more or less HDR than BF3.
This is certainly not LDR.
Again if the last minute change of ram amount is to be believed then expect ample supply of all those POM and high res textures.

The thing that really struck me was the lightness of the smoke. Really disappointing after KZ2. I was hoping for dense, lingering smoke, but this is typical computer fluff that magically vaporises in seconds leaving perfectly clean air.

If 8gigs of GDDR5 wont get you lingering smoke then Sony should go back to 256mb XDR Rambus :LOL:. I bet you $100 we'll see smoke that lingers for 5min in future killzone title or even the final version.

What I didn't see anyone mention here is that the huge city scape is just a facade. The gameplay area is basically still a very limited tunnel, with heavily scripted encounters and AI that's limited to the immediate are it's placed in; all those scycrapers are just 3D versions of the 2D backgrounds in current gen FPS games.

And even when the flying starts it is an on rails section with scripted events and all.

So basically it's a current gen game with more polygons and higher res textures, but nothing new.

Maybe that's just the drawback of actually presenting something that is playable, over just a demo with mind-blowing everything but has people in doubts about what is real and what is not. I guess after the 2005 KillZone trailer, especially Guerrilla might be wanting to get as far away as possible from any hint of raising false expectations.

You can't have it both ways. I like that they showed something that reflects actually gameplay and judging by KZ2 and KZ3, I'm sure there will be a lot more impressive things going on in the final product later in the game, that a short game-play clip like this just can't convey. For what it is, I think it's great and got me excited about next-generation more than I had hoped for.

If 8gigs of GDDR5 wont get you lingering smoke then Sony should go back to 256mb XDR Rambus :LOL:. I bet you $100 we'll see smoke that lingers for 5min in future killzone title or even the final version.

Killzone 4 is a launch title, and from accounts from Guerilla it seems they've been working on the game for 2,5 years and it is practically finished. The decision for 8GG was made very late, and they wouldn't have been able to take advantage much. If the amount of memory is the only bottleneck for lingering smoke, then they've got the next 6 or so months to get a little more out of the added RAM.

Not a bet I'm going to make because I expect better smoke in future.

Maybe that's just the drawback of actually presenting something that is playable, over just a demo with mind-blowing everything but has people in doubts about what is real and what is not. I guess after the 2005 KillZone trailer, especially Guerrilla might be wanting to get as far away as possible from any hint of raising false expectations.

You can't have it both ways. I like that they showed something that reflects actually gameplay and judging by KZ2 and KZ3, I'm sure there will be a lot more impressive things going on in the final product later in the game, that a short game-play clip like this just can't convey. For what it is, I think it's great and got me excited about next-generation more than I had hoped for.

Thats what I said in my previous post too. People are forgetting that this was playable ! Everything else u saw might just be false promises. This is the King righr now cos we know it is actual gameplay footage. If u find it low in quality acc to ur expectations, then that makes it doubly sure that it is actual game.

The more i watch it, the more I like it. Although my expectations for next gen are higher but this as a first footage is great and our only glimpse of the next gen. After allthis can only improve till launch, unlike some others which arw only going to drop in quality after thier initial demo footages.

Killzone 4 is a launch title, and from accounts from Guerilla it seems they've been working on the game for 2,5 years and it is practically finished. The decision for 8GG was made very late, and they wouldn't have been able to take advantage much. If the amount of memory is the only bottleneck for lingering smoke, then they've got the next 6 or so months to get a little more out of the added RAM.
See this also interests me greatly, what if dev suddenly find themselves an extra 4gigs of GDDR5 for their engine? Would they able to utilize them straight away or can they do anything about it? But yeah launch title is cursed with things like this.
Not a bet I'm going to make because I expect better smoke in future.

Yeah I doubt they have used any GPGPU particle physiscs yet.

It's like all back to front !! Remember the days when developers aren't able to meet their initial vision due to late cutbacks and changes made to the hardware ? :LOL:

I was wondering in which devkit this games was particularly demo,did we have any confirmation that 4GB devkit actually hit developers.?

Because i think this game could have been running on the 2.2GB of ram devkit.

Is there a special hardware that helps with thick , lingering smoke ? Or it's just an engine thing ?
Smoke Accelerator Unit. It's a custom unit on the GPGPU backside bus, normally coupled to the Waving Grass Unit and the Wind-swept Scarf Unit...
:p

There are new techniques for smoke (well, years old just not seeing much action). Volumetric smoke is a pretty good fit for GPGPU. 8 GBs gives lots of room for recording volumetric info also. Some shooter or other is going to showcase thick smoke, because it's a real game-changer, not just adding atmosphere but changing how the battlefield plays out. Snipers won't be much cop when burning oil is filling the environment with greasy black smog instead of fluffy clouds that drift harmless away. ;) In this vid, the smoke trails could be blowing into the player and affecting their visibility, forcing them into other positions or reducing effectiveness if they hunker down where the wind is blowing the smoke. It'd make battlefield positioning a little more considered.

maybe they switch for pre-rendered when it jumps to heli and suddenly showing crazy draw distance then change back to gameplay when shooting the guy with pistol?

uncharted do something like that right? and to some extend, FF XIII and FF XIII-2 also does that and in some scene the transition is seamless on PS3. On xbox you see the FMV is much lower quality and destroy the illussion.

That is my guess. Its either that or they switch out to high-res polygons during the motion blur effect that no one seems to see.

A classic tunnel shooter trick. No windows, lots of smoke and mirrors. With all that ram it is highly possible that the majority of that background is a none interactive stream of polygons and animated textures with only the foreground building are interacting with the light.

Just another pretty set piece for you to look at. Development time is going to skyrocket because your are going to need tons of designers and artists in farms chrning out graphics that is mostly a 3d skybox.

I hope you get to fly a heli-plane through that city but I doubt it. As far as the gameplay demonstrated I have seen similar gameplay in goldeneye on the the n64. come on guys it 2013!

That is my guess. Its either that or they switch out to high-res polygons during the motion blur effect that no one seems to see.

A classic tunnel shooter trick. No windows, lots of smoke and mirrors. With all that ram it is highly possible that the majority of that background is a none interactive stream of polygons and animated textures with only the foreground building are interacting with the light.

Just another pretty set piece for you to look at. Development time is going to skyrocket because your are going to need tons of designers and artists in farms chrning out graphics that is mostly a 3d skybox.

I hope you get to fly a heli-plane through that city but I doubt it. As far as the gameplay demonstrated I have seen similar gameplay in goldeneye on the the n64. come on guys it 2013!

Yes, I was thinking about this the other day. I think they should let users extend the KZ world with better tools, like i2's user generated content. We won't complain if the world is created by ourselves. Their artists can focus on DLCs and tools.

Back