Official February 20, 2013 Playstation event

So, the only major surprise is the 8 GB of GDDR5. That's going to make for an expensive console to manufacture.

Minor surprises is that it appears Sony may be trying to pursue an always online experience as well with how often they kept mentioning and pushing online. Including ability to be connected to the internet retrieving (sending?) data even when the console is turned off.

Camera system will be always on just like Kinect 2.0 it seems.

Graphics are about where I would have expected them to be based on the specs.

The ability to start playing as soon as a small bit of a game is download, IMO, pretty much confirms that mandatory HDD installs will be in effect.

Online looks to be the big focus for Sony this time around. As well as cross device interoperability. The way the Sony guys kept harping on "simple, simple, simple" just makes it seem they'll be a lot more focused on casual gamers this time around.

Not bad. Wish there'd been some more info released about the console itself, but not unexpected. That will come closer to release. I have a feeling they want to see what price point Microsoft is going to release at.

Regards,
SB

Suspend to ram, hardware to support background downloads, software predictions to download your next purchase before you buy it, instant demos via Cloud, instant sharing of games including multicasting via Ustream, having friends watch you play, and take over the control if needed, instant share of videos that upload in the background.

I think they introduced many neat things that we didn't even discuss around here.

Well, I guess this means what little interest there was in the Wii U has completely evaporated by now.

Even MS' position is looking shaky now, what with 8GB of GDDR5 and Blizzard on consoles - oh and cloud powered backcompat.

No news of the VR headset though, maybe that was bogus - or they're saving it for E3?

So, I didn't think it was THAT big of a step-up, what do you guys think?

Honestly, though, I tuned them out after the specs.

We saw the PS4 eyetoy, it had a wire, therefore I boldly predict it can be unplugged, urgo not always on much like my current eyetoy.

Did they mention 8 cores? I know they did mention x86. Did they specifically mention 8-core Jaguar. If not, maybe it's going to be a 4-core Steamroller APU. If its an 8-core Jaguar, will the cores be modified for more flops?

Remote Play on Vita looked promising, and the online gameplay features sure looked well though out. I am impressed that GaiKai was not just bought, but immediately used as a great benefit. Not just sharing video, but look along while playing with anyone and even being to take over controls remotely is cool stuff.

They will have a lot saved still for E3, keeping some key cards to their chest. The year is still long! Must go to sleep though. No big surprise at the end though, but Killzone was real gameplay, quite the contrast from Killzone 2 reveal. ;) The fact that they are going to launch this year is also a big thing.

No word on used games, about online play?

The whole upload videos of your gameplay thing probably will come at a price.

The marketing BS is given.

What was shown however was very impressive.

Sony should be commended for that. This was one of the best keynote presentations I have ever seen from them, if not THE best.

Even better than the PlayStation X's famous "$299" and done speech.

Suspend to ram, hardware to support background downloads,

Both excellent features.

software predictions to download your next purchase before you buy it, instant

Big no to this, I'll choose what I want to play, not Sony.

demos via Cloud,

This is being done already but it sounds like a great seamless experience for the consoles. It's also pretty interesting around the backwards compatibility (eventually) using the cloud. I wonder whether this will be opened up tot he PC as well. I can't see why not to be honest.

instant sharing of games including multicasting via Ustream, having friends watch you play, and take over the control if needed, instant share of videos that upload in the background.

Some neat stuff there but I can't say I'm all that interested in sharing videos of my gameplay.

Suspend to ram, hardware to support background downloads, software predictions to download your next purchase before you buy it, instant demos via Cloud, instant sharing of games including multicasting via Ustream, having friends watch you play, and take over the control if needed, instant share of videos that upload in the background.

I think they introduced many neat things that we didn't even discuss around here.

Patsu has been speculating about games from the cloud for a while now, including PS3 games, etc.

Background downloads is basically expected for either console coming out and isn't really noteworthy. Downloading and uploading of data while the console is turned off is mildly surprise as I mentioned. But not totally so as it's something that Win8 can currently do. So something I was somewhat expecting at least for Durango.

Sharing and uploading of videos in the background as well has been speculated on. Ustream is a small surprise. I would have expected Youtube or even Twitch.tv instead of Ustream.

I'm also fairly confident that the OS or at least memory reserved for non-game related stuff is going to be far larger than the rumored 512 MB.

Basically it just confirms that PS4 is going to do basically the same things as Durango which I personally thought would be key for it to compete. Although I have no clue if MS will have something similar to Gaikai. Then again, I'm still skeptical of the business model for something like Gaikai, especially if there is a large demand for PS3 titles through Gaikai. 1x PS3 per user per data center is going to get very expensive unless they have some sort of PS3 blade server type thing. Now it comes down to how well they do things.

Regards,
SB

Watch Dogs was running on PC on conference. Ubisoft guys just confirmed that on gametrailers post-show interview.

Back