News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I already own a BRD player, why would I want to buy a second one? It'd be a waste of $75.

To save wear and tear on a $400 device that makes too much noise and uses too much power for movie watching? Call me crazy. The PS3 was great as a BD player when stand alones were $400, but that was 2007. I can understand it if you are in a dorm room, but a working adult with a full entertainment center? $75 is nothing compared to the total cost of equipment.

To save wear and tear on a $400 device that makes too much noise and uses too much power for movie watching? Call me crazy. The PS3 was great as a BD player when stand alones were $400, but that was 2007. I can understand it if you are in a dorm room, but a working adult with a full entertainment center? $75 is nothing compared to the total cost of equipment.

I guess I'm one of those. Then again, I digitalized most of my Blurays and rather watch them through XBMC, since that has become quite a lot more convinient. If I do watch a Bluray, I still rely on the PS3. Because that's quite rare though, I never really thought about actually purchasing a dedicated Bluray player. You're right in one thing though - as it stands, the PS3 was a lot better bluray player than the PS4 seems to be, in its current form.

So you assume everyone who owned a PS3 and watched BRDs in it is also a working adult with a full entertainment centre? There's a lot of different usage cases for consoles.

I didn't assume anything, hence the "I can understand it if you are in a dorm room". I was thinking that most people on this forum would have the disposable income to afford a stand alone player and not use a game console, but maybe that needs a poll.

I am not certain that there is any BR players that actually can compete with the PS3 when it comes to BR playback. I must admit i don't follow BR players anymore because i got the PS3, the last time this was brought up i read up and wasn't really convinced, and the few times i have come across a non PS3 blu-ray player the same was true. So maybe you could point me to a 75 dollar bluray player that beasts the PS3?

And i guess they all have streaming support now, so they would have to compete on that as well?

Ohh and a decked out HT , well we don't really care about wear and tear on a $400 dollar device, we are way to rich to care about that and way to busy enjoying the pleasure of 1080p movies and games :)

That being said, Sony will have to support the BR remote or they will end in my signature for being lazy and stupid.

I didn't assume anything, hence the "I can understand it if you are in a dorm room".
So the human population can be categorised into 'those in dorm rooms' and 'those with entertainment centres'...

I can think of plenty of people with moderately low incomes, or general disinterest in a superior home cinema experience, who'd find value in a console that plays disks.

So the human population can be categorised into 'those in dorm rooms' and 'those with entertainment centres'...

I can think of plenty of people with moderately low incomes, or general disinterest in a superior home cinema experience, who'd find value in a console that plays disks.

But do those people post here? My post was aimed at this audience, not the larger world of console owners.

But do those people post here? My post was aimed at this audience, not the larger world of console owners.
Sure. We've seen enough of different people's setups here to know not everyone maintains a high quality home cinema enthusiast experience. Heck, we even have people telling you they miss media playback in PS4 - what more proof do you need? ;)

Could I afford a $75 bluray player? Sure, if I really wanted to, but why? It'd be redundant (I'd rather spend that money on movies, comics and Steam games I'll never play), and it would eat an input on my TV for no reason. It only has three total. After my original launch PS3 died and before I bought my current slim PS3 I had an LG BR player to watch movies on. It was very barebones, did not have 3D support, did not have network port, did not support firmware updates and so on (so if future movies use/d different base encryption key they won't play on that player). As I recall, it actually cost more than $75, but that was at least two years ago now, probably more, so perhaps players in that price bracket have improved now, I don't know. However, PS3 was certainly one of the most well-featured, highest quality, most compatible players around. I rather doubt you could find a better player for the amount of money we're talking about.

Yeah, a PS3 costs more than $75, but has anyone worn out theirs by watching movies on it...? My phat unit died because of YLOD/solder ball fatigue issues after years of use as mainly a movie player and not so much a games console.

My BD drive is starting to wear out. It has trouble pulling discs in now. But replacements are peanuts so it's not much of a worry.

Maybe cleaning/de-dusting/lubing up the mechanism would make it perform well again. How is it exhibiting disc-eating difficulties?

Maybe cleaning/de-dusting/lubing up the mechanism would make it perform well again. How is it exhibiting disc-eating difficulties?

It feels, and sounds, as though the drive can no longer grip the discs properly. I think it's just wear and tear. It has had a hammering over the years!

My BD drive is starting to wear out. It has trouble pulling discs in now. But replacements are peanuts so it's not much of a worry.

I had the same, but with pushing out. I put it on its side, and then it had no issues.

Ok, now fez is out for almost every console under the sun. If only that bloody fish guy could release the game for OSX as well... *sigh*

PlayStation 4 firmware 1.62 released

Just updated to firmware 1.62. No noticeable differences at all and the patch notes only show:

Sony said:
Operation quality during use of some PlayStation 4 software has been improved

Lame.

PS Knowledge center says: "Image quality for some applications has been improved."
I don't know exactly what they improved but an improvement in image quality can't be bad ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back