News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why? If the next gen consoles have as low idle state why not let them be media devices too?

Though I can understand why Sony didn't include their features, plenty of people online bitched about wanting their gaming device to be completely about gaming. They got what they wanted and now some of those same people are bitching about it. (Not here) Typical hypocrisy.

Indeed this is funny to me.

The ability to play MP3 doesn't appreciably take away from the resources available to the platform holder to render better visuals - its software. Adding HDMI in, motion controls and the NFL channle does have an impact on the overall budget and therefore force compromises in overall design that gamers will notice and appreciate. Not seeing any hypocrisy with gamers noting that and being bothered by it.

If anything they are being consistent, they don't want things hidden behind paywalls that the device is perfectly capable of doing but are restricted from doing so Sony and MS can charge us additional fees to use features that should be standard out of the box.....

So business wanted MP3 and DLNA but development said PS4 couldn't handle it?

Probably not. He denied funneling subscriptions to MU. MP3 and DLNA have no business case. The business team wouldn't champion for these features per se.

It's likely up to the product team to decide and prioritize. All we know now is Shuhei mentioned that his meeting with the PS4 dev team is positive.

No, it's a transfer. If I want to get files from my PC to another one, I put the files on a thumbstick to facilitate that. The files are stored on the PC, copied from the thumbstick. The thumbstick is not accessed as the source of the files on either PC.

Same with a save game. If I have a FIFA career in progress on one console and want to put it on another console, I need a way to do that. Presently, USB drives facilitate this as the go-between. The console doesn't access the USB drive as a storage device with the game save on it as the save game has to be copied to PS3.

PS4 could support the same without contradicting the FAQ. I guess it might not if Sony are going with the brave,. new internet world, and everything's sync'd on the cloud, although that will necessitate good internet access. I'll be somewhat peeved if I go round my friend's house to play FIFA and his internet is down again and we can't sync the save game. At the moment the career lives on a microSD card kept in the game disk case, exported at the end of every play no matter which console we play on (of three).

I see what you mean. The file has to be copied from the external source back onto the local drive before it can be used. So if you had a big drive full of movies, save games, and photos you'd have to copy them from the external drive to the local drive to use them. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Maybe they are just trying to code the MP3 & DLNA stuff to run at it's lower power state.

maybe it will run on the secondary chip using the hardware encoders\decoders.

Probably not. He denied funneling subscriptions to MU. MP3 and DLNA have no business case. The business team wouldn't champion for these features per se.

It's likely up to the product team to decide and prioritize. All we know now is Shuhei mentioned that his meeting with the PS4 dev team is positive.

Sony is working pretty hard right now to get a deal done for IPTV, I would image that their development on PS4 is tied directly to what they are able to get done with TV, music and movies. At this point getting the gaming functions up and running is the priority the other stuff will come later once they know the scope of the services are that they will need to tackle.

Likely, but they need to tell us more. We don't really have a clear idea of the PS4 end user experience yet. We know the UI flow for some common use cases, and that's about it.

Some of the details like 4K support seems undecided. And that may be ok.

For nearer term features, everyone is kinda assuming the PS3 policies and experiences at this point.

Waiting a few days to see what happens before making that decision.

Cheers
I think you should cancel, because of the limited supply available, it will allow a hardcore gamer to get that console.

Maybe that was Sony's plan all along, sell the console to early adopters who buy it primarily for the games. They buy many games, have PS Plus sub, and they are generally very lucrative customers to have. Then they will add media and casual stuff when supply is less constrained. Right now they have nothing to lose, it's going to sell out no matter what. Remember that the people who bought the PS3 as a bluray player were a big money sink with nothing in return for Sony.

FAQ updated:

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?

No*.
*We appreciate your feedback and are exploring possibilities.

Will PS4 support media servers or DLNA support in order to stream videos or movies from a home PC?

The PS4 system does not support client functionality* for media servers.

I think you should cancel, because of the limited supply available, it will allow a hardcore gamer to get that console.

Maybe that was Sony's plan all along, sell the console to early adopters who buy it primarily for the games. They buy many games, have PS Plus sub, and they are generally very lucrative customers to have. Then they will add media and casual stuff when supply is less constrained. Right now they have nothing to lose, it's going to sell out no matter what. Remember that the people who bought the PS3 as a bluray player were a big money sink with nothing in return for Sony.
Nothing in return? To the game division, maybe. To the Sony ecosystem as a whole? They practically won the format war for Sony.

I have been a gamer since around the time that the first arcade machines appeared and have owned a console every gen starting with the 2600. Do I have to send away or something to get my hardcore gamer ID? Or do you hand that out?

Remember that the people who bought the PS3 as a bluray player were a big money sink with nothing in return for Sony.

The primary reason that the PS3 had a blu-ray drive was to win the format war, they very much wanted those people as customers.

Cheers

I have been a gamer since around the time that the first arcade machines appeared and have owned a console every gen starting with the 2600. Do I have to send away or something to get my hardcore gamer ID? Or do you hand that out?
You are pre-ordering a Sony console before launch, and then you posted a dozen things like "fuck you Sony", or making up random libelous crap that Yoshi himself denied. All of that because there are some media features missing at launch? This is cognitive dissonance. You made up a story about why the features aren't implemented, and refuse any new info that contradicts your conspiracy theory.

I want DLNA and MP3 playback too. I'm pretty sure we'll have it later, because I'm good at following history, I'm not bad at dismissing bullshit either. I'm not going drama-queen-berserk on all forum about something like this because it's not rational, I just voice my opinion that I want it. If there are people with a pre-order who consider canceling it based on the lack of MP3 playback at launch, they should do so. That's my opinion.

Summarizing all of my posts about PS4 policy as being "Fuck you Sony" is hardly fair and ignores valid complaints (DRM issues that affect my family directly for example). And one recent post in another AV related forum I routinely follow is hardly "all forums".

Summarizing all of my posts about PS4 policy as being "Fuck you Sony" is hardly fair and ignores valid complaints (DRM issues that affect my family directly for example). And one recent post in another AV related forum I routinely follow is hardly "all forums".
Maybe that was a bit strong. :???: I was certainly on all forum going berserk about the DRM crap. Because I think it was rational to do so, the impact was on the entire industry for the forseeable future, it was worth the effort. However the presence of MP3 playback at launch is not at that level, it's a small detail that is easily corrected later. Nothing like a make-or-break situation. Hence my comment. I was talking about your last posts here that are all ignoring or refusing what yosp is saying, and ignoring past situations that were followed by similar communications from Sony. They all ended up fine.

The FAQ is asking for comments with open arms. Look at the comments at the bottom of the FAQ, it's filled with people with a Plus subscription, this is the powerhouse of the community. They know the business has to be in sync with the core community, which is why I'm not worried. Of all the places, this is exactly where you should voice your opinion.

Considering the condescension you've recieved by Mr Spokesperson from the other post, I suggest that you stick with the pre-order and flip it for a profit. Might as well make best use of a situation, right? :smile:

I think it is better to wait and see before encouraging someone to cancel a pre-order. DLNA support should be easy as pie for them to implement, and if they don't want to offer MP3 support in a straightforward manner they could use something like Miracast and let the other device taking care of that for them.

I think that in the end those things are going to make into the final version of the OS. Yeah, it is sooooooo difficult... You are a smart person -honest- and you know it isn't, and that's something even the hardcore could use and enjoy from time to time.

I believe this has not been updated?

http://couchjockeyz.com/mp3-support-dlna-and-more-features-to-follow-on-2nd-ps4-update/

We were able to speak to a Sony rep today about if any of these features could be implemented in the near future and much to our surprise we have received a “Yes“. The future update that is in process to be rolled out shortly after the PS4′s launch(November 15th) will include the following detailed features listed below:
  • Legacy headset support
  • Mp3 support for not only in-game but non gaming as well.
  • Suspend and resume play feature
All of these features are set to hit PS4′s consoles by late 2013- to early 2014. Which we hope Sony will deliver sooner upon. From what we know these features are being packed in the 2nd forth coming PS4 firmware update.
Well that got changed damn fast.

Hopefully we will get a confirmation on DLNA soon too.

FAQ updated:

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?

No*.

I believe this has not been updated?

We were able to speak to a Sony rep today about if any of these features could be implemented in the near future and much to our surprise we have received a “Yes“. The future update that is in process to be rolled out shortly after the PS4′s launch(November 15th) will include the following detailed features listed below:
  • Mp3 support for not only in-game but non gaming as well.
Power to the people! Consumer might! Grumbling gets results! Well, if they deliver.

External HDD *will* be requirement this generation, they can't not implement it, it's that simple... Especially since it's so damn easy too, USB storage is THE most common profile available on any USB supporting device for chrissakes. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back