News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw his posts. He hinted at the VR announcement for Gamescom, but posted again when he heard it's been delayed.

Eurogamer and CVG published the VR rumor for TGS yesterday.

In any case, we will find out soon.

I like the Omniviewer idea but it sounds like people want a VR solution.

Close call. Nothing to see here, move along.... :D
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/04/us-hynix-suspension-idUSBRE9830SP20130904
(Reuters) - South Korean chipmaker SK Hynix Inc (000660.KS) said on Wednesday a fire at its Wuxi, China, plant caused no "material" damage to critical chip-fabrication equipment, and it expects to resume production shortly.

"Currently, there is no material damage to the fab equipment in the clean room, thus we expect to resume operations in a short time period so that overall production and supply volume would not be materially affected," company spokesman Seongae Park said in a statement.

Park added the company will continue to assess the extent of damage from the fire, which broke out during equipment installation.

I saw his posts. He hinted at the VR announcement for Gamescom, but posted again when he heard it's been delayed.

Eurogamer and CVG published the VR rumor for TGS yesterday.

In any case, we will find out soon.

I like the Omniviewer idea but it sounds like people want a VR solution.

Patsu,how did you understand the Omniviewer, like the Google glasses?, more alike to AR?.Reading the dualpixels info i didnt understand well the concept as they said that would be like transparent oled screens and would make any 2d tv behave like a 3D one.

Patsu,how did you understand the Omniviewer, like the Google glasses?, more alike to AR?.Reading the dualpixels info i didnt understand well the concept as they said that would be like transparent oled screens and would make any 2d tv behave like a 3D one.

Yeah, closer to AR than VR. Like IllumiRoom, extends game environment outside the TV frame. Or standalone like regular AR stuff in WonderBook, Invisimals, Glass, EyePet -- so the user doesn't have to look at the TV screen.

I have not tried it but users may experience less motion sickness.

However the gamers seem to prefer full VR immersion. So...

Yeah, closer to AR than VR. Like IllumiRoom, extends game environment outside the TV frame. Or standalone like regular AR stuff in WonderBook, Invisimals, Glass, EyePet -- so the user doesn't have to look at the TV screen.

I have not tried it but users may experience less motion sickness.

However the gamers seem to prefer full VR immersion. So...

I know I do.

AR doesn't seem to lend itself that well to complementing gameplay very well. I don't see much opportunity in using the environment immediately around the player as an interface, it doesn't act as a good interface at all.

VR on the other hand is more similar to simple TV, only with extra player input.

That depends. All other memory manufacturers have put all their non-contract shipments on hold in expectation of rising DRAM prices due to this. After all, why sell memory at the pre-fire prices if they can get more money on post-fire prices?

As well, while fire may not have damaged the production equipment in any significant way, it'll still take time to get a clean room back to a state where you can use it to produce chips that require a clean room. Especially if the clean room itself was damaged (highly likely).

The thing that the other memory manufacturer's are waiting to see is how many weeks (or months, but I don't think it'll take multiple months) this will take and thus how much world supply of DRAM will shrink in the meantime.

Regards,
SB

That depends. All other memory manufacturers have put all their non-contract shipments on hold in expectation of rising DRAM prices due to this. After all, why sell memory at the pre-fire prices if they can get more money on post-fire prices?

As well, while fire may not have damaged the production equipment in any significant way, it'll still take time to get a clean room back to a state where you can use it to produce chips that require a clean room. Especially if the clean room itself was damaged (highly likely).

The thing that the other memory manufacturer's are waiting to see is how many weeks (or months, but I don't think it'll take multiple months) this will take and thus how much world supply of DRAM will shrink in the meantime.

Regards,
SB
"production and supply volume would not be materially affected"

"production and supply volume would not be materially affected"

The full quote...

"Currently, there is no material damage to the fab equipment in the clean room, thus we expect to resume operations in a short time period so that overall production and supply volume would not be materially affected," company representative Seongae Park said in a statement.

It depends on what their definition of a "short time period" is. No material damage to the fab equipment, but the clean room is obviously damaged. You can't have a fire and not have damage, even if it's just smoke damage.

Now if the physical fire damage was contained entirely in the air purification system with only smoke damage filtering through to the clean room, then it may only be out of commission a couple weeks. If the fire actually entered the clean room and caused damage to the room itself, that could take a month or more.

For PR, they have to limit the damage in order to prevent their memory chip customers from immediately placing orders with their competition as they evaluate the extent of the damage and how long it will take to get chip production started again in the affected building.

Also note, that for the short term this will only affect their spot market memory pricing and availability. Contracted memory customers (like Sony) shouldn't be affected in the short term. And as long as it doesn't take them multiple months, it shouldn't affect contracted partners in the long term either.

Regards,
SB

Obviously their definition of "short" is the definition that fits with "production and supply volume would not be materially affected". It's in the sentence.

Sure, overall production and supply volume for the month? Year? For the spot market or for the contract market?

I've already noted that the contract market should be relatively unaffected as long as it is indeed short (not multiple months).

Regards,
SB

It seems like the PS4 is only supporting up to 4 controllers. Not that it will be a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but still surprising.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/374628548452954113

I think that so few people actually used the full 7 that the PS3 supported that they deemed there was no point in supporting more than 4.

But they haven't said anything about other device support e.g. tablets, mobiles etc.

It seems like the PS4 is only supporting up to 4 controllers. Not that it will be a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but still surprising.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/374628548452954113

This is extemely disappointing if true. Nearly every birthday party I attended where there was a PS3 present, involved either 7 multiplayer PixelJunk SpeedRacer or Bomberman matches. To simply limited the amount of controllers on some small technically (like number of LED colours) is simply daft, especially if the LED is all about the camera features which isn't even a requirement. Epic fail. :devilish:

I think that so few people actually used the full 7 that the PS3 supported that they deemed there was no point in supporting more than 4.

But they haven't said anything about other device support e.g. tablets, mobiles etc.

Rockband used 7 and that was a pretty big game. But since there won't be another Rockband I guess that's moot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back