News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starhawk ! (RTS + FPS)

It plays quite well with just dual sticks though.

Heavy Rain is another candidate but that game tries to screw with your fingers to get you into trouble. So having a touchpad might make the game too easy. ^_^

At some point, I just decided that the touchpad is most proven for non-games; say when you switch constantly between a web walkthrough, and Persona 7.

Yeah that's it. Something like the Persona series might actually play better with the touchpad.

What do you do with the touch input in Dragon's Crown ?

The touch input was used to activate runes that appear on background of the battlefield. On PS3 you had to press L1 to activate the cursor, then move your cursor to the runes, then press a button to activate them. You had to activate 3 of them to do have the results, so it was really a pain.

Many of the runes had combat value, but due to the clumsiness of the controllers most people just ignored them until we finished the enemies and then to find that the runes are then useless. It made the rune system feel a bit awkward.

On PSV it was simply "touch" and done, many of the runes that had combat value could actually be used properly, combat got alot more fun.

Also cooking is MUUUUUCH easier and faster on PSV.

The touch pad may be interesting for non-games. e.g., web browser.

Yeah, I'm not sure how well placed the DS4's trackpad is ergonomically for use mid-gameplay - assuming you're using two analogue sticks and the buttons - but I think it'll be great for navigating UIs just a trackpads are on laptops.

For a lot of people it's just a far more precise (and familiar) technology. Plenty of games offer analogue stick control over a cursor but I've not found one that is pleasurable to use for even short periods.

The touchpad could be used for precision aiming, for snipers or shooting behind cover. Or for QTE motions. Maybe switching weapons too.

For non-gaming uses, it would be useful for navigating through screens and web browsing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nooooooooooooooooooaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrgh! :no:
:LOL: You know many games are going to have some form of QTE. But I didn't really mean QTEs per se, just motions in general, like dodging, sliding into cover etc. Or it could be used for controlling the throwing distance of a grenade. I can think of many ways of using the touchpad. Definitely not gimmicky IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm not sure how well placed the DS4's trackpad is ergonomically for use mid-gameplay - assuming you're using two analogue sticks and the buttons - but I think it'll be great for navigating UIs just a trackpads are on laptops.

For a lot of people it's just a far more precise (and familiar) technology. Plenty of games offer analogue stick control over a cursor but I've not found one that is pleasurable to use for even short periods.

Yes. It depends on the game. For a leisure-paced game like Persona, it may be ok.

For Starhawks, I may get shot from behind while laying down buildings. Terrible things happen in seconds. I only need to release my left thumb to abort a building placement, and then bunny-hop to cover. All the while my fingers are on the sticks.

If they let me place a building with the touchpad, I will likely stick with dual stick placement.

Yes. It depends on the game. For a leisure-paced game like Persona, it may be ok.
Yeah, you could design controls they require the pad when one or both sticks aren't being used. I revisited the Sucker Punch video on the DS4 where they show Second Son and I must say, the brief few seconds on the touch pad controls don't look too bad!

Poor analogy. We've already pretty much reached the limit on the number of useable buttons/triggers on a typical controller with good form factor. And the DS4 looks to have gone the final step with a touchpad, which imo is the most logical addition to controls out of them all this go around. Everyone and their babies are used to using touch controls now. In contrast, most camera controls end up simply just mirroring an action that can be done from a button anyways.

Poor analogy? My last one basically described the basic controller setup for both the PS3 and X360...

Or if Nintendo launched a controller with 2 analog sticks and a FPS game that supported it for the N64, but didn't include it with the base system? Pretty much no one would have supported that controller in their games either.

The N64 controller only had one analog stick. Hell, the Playstation at the same time had 2 analog sticks. But without it being standard with every N64 sold, a dual analog stick controller for the N64 would have gotten little to no support from anyone, other than whatever game launched with it or whatever publisher launched it.

Regards,
Sb

For Starhawks, I may get shot from behind while laying down buildings. Terrible things happen in seconds. I only need to release my left thumb to abort a building placement, and then bunny-hop to cover. All the while my fingers are on the sticks.

If they let me place a building with the touchpad, I will likely stick with dual stick placement.

I know this may be a "bad" way to say it, but the pad might be used mostly for gesture controls such as swipe, touch, or rapid coarse motions like pounding or something, especially at first.

I don't think it would be used a lot for precision controls, at least early on.

I'd expect the motion controls to be more used for precision early on than the touchpad. Yoshida has said he was using the motion controls to do some text or menu selection or something during the Gamescom press conference, and I guess it worked pretty well, because I didn't even notice he was doing so.

Poor analogy? My last one basically described the basic controller setup for both the PS3 and X360...

The N64 controller only had one analog stick. Hell, the Playstation at the same time had 2 analog sticks. But without it being standard with every N64 sold, a dual analog stick controller for the N64 would have gotten little to no support from anyone, other than whatever game launched with it or whatever publisher launched it.

You're equating the importance of having camera controls to 2 vs 1 analog sticks. The problem is a majority of the actions mapped to camera gestures simply replicate actions that can be done on the gamepad. Not many will miss it.

I know this may be a "bad" way to say it, but the pad might be used mostly for gesture controls such as swipe, touch, or rapid coarse motions like pounding or something, especially at first.

I don't think it would be used a lot for precision controls, at least early on.

I'd expect the motion controls to be more used for precision early on than the touchpad. Yoshida has said he was using the motion controls to do some text or menu selection or something during the Gamescom press conference, and I guess it worked pretty well, because I didn't even notice he was doing so.

Personally, I think using gestures (swipe, touch, rapid coarse motion) for combat is a little clumsy.

However, I may not mind using touchpad gestures to select healing items quickly. Using sticks is too error prone in some games. In TLoU, I ended up throwing a Molotov on myself a few times during frantic moments. :)

I don't think it will be used for combat or any super discrete and specific actions anytime soon.

I think it could be used for things like you said... simple gestures to use items, but not anything requiring precision. I think that's a good example.

It's similar to the OWL setup in Killzone. It's nothing major, just 4 cardinal directions for 4 possible commands, which makes sense for the interface I think.

The thing I like about the touchpad is that it can be used as a Dpad type thing with cardinal directions, or a swiping gesture thing, or something else. That's what makes it really neat imo, it's a very amorphous interface compared to all the discrete buttons.

Did Sony map the touchpad click to any default action ? If not, the touchpad itself may be handy as a shortcut or convenience button for games that don't implement any gestures.

No one (as in OS maker) in their right mind would map touchpad click to an OS level action [even] when a game is running in the foreground.

Games will certainly be able to listen to touchpad click events.

No one (as in OS maker) in their right mind would map touchpad click to an OS level action [even] when a game is running in the foreground.

Games will certainly be able to listen to touchpad click events.

Yes but did they stipulate any default game action if the game doesn't use it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back