News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.
GDDR5 is known for its bandwidth, not capacity--which is why the motivation for it was sufficient at 4 or 8 GB.
My question now is what Sony was planning on doing prior to there being 8 GB to carve from.

Yeah at 4 gb you are talking a very different machine it would seem. Stuff like sharing and game resume/switching and the like might not have been in the cards for that machine or they would have had to have had more discrete modules for different things.

Now I'm really disappointed that multiplats will be aiming for the 5GB range. I hope it goes down overtime like the PS3.

It's interesting that a game initially sees about the same RAM as it did when PS4 had 4GB, but now with an extra 1GB of flexible memory of limited use. If this is still true it suggests that other stuff was a major factor in the decision to upgrade.

Games got an extra 1GB of RAM, and potentially a little more from the "flexible" memory, which put it on par with Xbox One. So they achieved parity on both the game and system sides of the device, instead of pushing for a game advantage and staying short on the other. That's probably a good move because the device can appeal to more people, and a huge memory advantage on the game side may have only been pushed by first parties.

Games got an extra 1GB of RAM, and potentially a little more from the "flexible" memory, which put it on par with Xbox One. So they achieved parity on both the game and system sides of the device, instead of pushing for a game advantage and staying short on the other. That's probably a good move because the device can appeal to more people, and a huge memory advantage on the game side may have only been pushed by first parties.

I lost a GB there. :oops:

It was always a smart move to mach up at the start. You can give back to games later, but you can't take away.

Why would they? they've got smartphones and tablets for that. As for these touch devices using lots of RAM, that's only to save load times. I have a 2 GB Galaxy note 10.1 and it has lots 'running', but I only use one app at a time. It just means when I fire up Photoshop, I don't have to wait ten seconds to use it if it's still present in RAM.

Sony are gonna have to do a lot of explainin' to convince me 3+GBs reserved RAM is actually of value to me. We're going to get the same experience as a 4GB VRAM PC GPU. The game-value of PS4 has taken a serious knock with this. Of course, if that OS reservation is including lots of core functionality like data caching and IO and camera functionality and whatnot, it may be justified, as it's, say, 6 GBs total used for the game to do its thing with 4.5 GBs game data and 1.5 GBs system maintenance stuff. If they're just offering another glorified smart devices with concurrent web-browsing and Twitter feeds as you game, I have zero interest, and I expect many core gamers will feel the same.

Absolutely agree with you. This is repugnant- what in the hell am I expected to be doing while I'm gaming? I mean even if you include app's like Facebook, Twitter and G+.. That's tiny stuff. A web browser with decent tab support wouldn't require anywhere near this.

The 'essentials' were covered last gen in the 32-54MB range. How did we go from that to 3.5GB?

I mean this is just ludicrous. That is over a 100x increase in memory allottment for non-game use.

I also want to point out, that the OS is probably very small. Based on some posts I keep seeing in forums that say things like, "OMG!!!! 2.5GB is a huge bloated OS!!!!!!!!" people seem to be under the impression that this is a huge 2.5 GB kernel. The OS itself is probably 256MB to 1GB, including most system level features like media server etc, and the rest is just free memory for apps. If it was only 1 GB free for apps I'd be surprised.

I also want to point out, that the OS is probably very small. Based on some posts I keep seeing in forums that say things like, "OMG!!!! 2.5GB is a huge bloated OS!!!!!!!!" people seem to be under the impression that this is a huge 2.5 GB kernel. The OS itself is probably 256MB to 1GB, including most system level features like media server etc, and the rest is just free memory for apps. If it was only 1 GB free for apps I'd be surprised.

Which is fairly horrifying, because if they give that much memory to app developers then it isn't like they can take it back basically. That's it.

"Oh we changed our mind, so you guys will only get 512MB now for your apps instead of the 1-2GB you had before. Our bad."

Which is fairly horrifying, because if they give that much memory to app developers then it isn't like they can take it back basically. That's it.

"Oh we changed our mind, so you guys will only get 512MB now for your apps instead of the 1-2GB you had before. Our bad."

Don't take my word for it, but I believe iOS has a limit on how much memory a single app can use, which is well below the total free memory on those devices. I may be wrong on that, or it might be Android. They have weird multitasking environments, so I don't know what the reasoning is exactly for the limit, but something like that could be the case here. They say your app can use 1GB max, even though there's 2GB free. That way you are guaranteed to have some free memory for multitasking even with one larger app running. No idea. All speculation. There's just no way the PS4 OS is sitting there using 2.5GB of RAM at all times. A very large chunk of that has to be free RAM for apps.

lol what? Just like Windows 7 runs at 1GB usage it will run more apps at the same time @4GB usage. Windows 7 @1GB will have to load from HDD every time you start a app that was not previously loaded to RAM slowing it down and old apps get closed in way of new apps.

Windows 7 even tries to use as much mem as possible preloading software to RAM from HDD which people dont get their head around on the internet.

The 'essentials' were covered last gen in the 32-54MB range. How did we go from that to 3.5GB?

They used that much because it was necessity and PS3 was above 100MB at launch. With these machines above 5GB is really questionable returns for gaming because texture streaming has been invented.

How much time does take to jump between apps on 360? 30s? To a game from netfix 1 minute? It cant do anything that is expected today

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm weird, but I actually like the idea of a system that can do more than just play games. So I think this could turn out to be a very good thing. The only worry I'd have is on the software side. Sony isn't exactly known for their software prowess and to jump from a 512MB platform for OS + apps to a 2.5GB platform for OS + apps is a huge change. I'd be worried about them cramming in a bunch of poorly though out features in a short time to turn it into a more flexible or diverse platform. Even if they had decided internally to go this route in January, that's still a really short time to change the entire outlook of what the platform is going to be.

Apps and/or system services. It was brought up that one likely reason that the CPU reservation went up this gen is that there are libraries that use system functions which were taken out of the game's CPU budget. With a reserved amount of CPU, the game's budget is not impacted, and that library has a consistent resource to draw upon.

If that works for CPU cycles, why not RAM?
There are buffers that could be used for some of that functionality, on top of the 15 minutes of footage, plus whatever the file system puts aside for caching.

MS have talked a little more about this, but console apps would have access to game data, so there are lots of possibilities.

They can wait and see if they want to scale back the reserve in the future, while they can't do the opposite. Either they are just being overly prudent, or there's a feature we haven't heard of yet, or the flexible 1GB memory somehow provides an advantage compared to a hard line reservation. It could be simple future proofing for apps of the next 10 years (which was MS reason given I think). If the reservation provides useful shared services and helpers, disk caching, etc... it gets interesting, and it can't be considered "lost" to the OS, but actually useful for the game. But I would really like to know what they are.

A year ago it was only 1.5GB for games. Now THAT was a good reason for a classic internet melt down. :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm really disappointed that multiplats will be aiming for the 5GB range. I hope it goes down overtime like the PS3.

The poor devs will have 10x the memory (in the beginning), available RAM is still the spec that grew the largest from gen to gen.

You can always give back RAM, you can never take more later.

What puzzles me is that PC BSD requires less memory than BSD on PS4.
You can't compare a base BSD system with virtual memory to a console with none. There's no swapping to disk in these consoles, so any app has to be fully resident in RAM.

They can wait and see if they want to scale back the reserve in the future, while they can't do the opposite. Either they are just being overly prudent, or there's a feature we haven't heard of yet, or the flexible 1GB memory somehow provides an advantage compared to a hard line reservation. It could be simple future proofing for apps of the next 10 years (which was MS reason given I think). If the reservation provides useful shared services and helpers, disk caching, etc... it gets interesting, and it can't be considered "lost" to the OS, but actually useful for the game. But I would really like to know what they are.

A year ago it was only 1.5GB for games. Now THAT was a good reason for a classic internet melt down. :LOL:

I honestly doubt there is one or even several features that explain the 2.5 GB reservation, unless you're counting a large pool of free memory for running apps a feature.

Why would they? they've got smartphones and tablets for that. As for these touch devices using lots of RAM, that's only to save load times. I have a 2 GB Galaxy note 10.1 and it has lots 'running', but I only use one app at a time. It just means when I fire up Photoshop, I don't have to wait ten seconds to use it if it's still present in RAM.

Sony are gonna have to do a lot of explainin' to convince me 3+GBs reserved RAM is actually of value to me. We're going to get the same experience as a 4GB VRAM PC GPU. The game-value of PS4 has taken a serious knock with this. Of course, if that OS reservation is including lots of core functionality like data caching and IO and camera functionality and whatnot, it may be justified, as it's, say, 6 GBs total used for the game to do its thing with 4.5 GBs game data and 1.5 GBs system maintenance stuff. If they're just offering another glorified smart devices with concurrent web-browsing and Twitter feeds as you game, I have zero interest, and I expect many core gamers will feel the same.

Considering 1.5 to 2GB would be used for CPU stuff, what´s left for the GPU is much less than 4 GB.

If true, I must say that I would be extremely disappointed.

I am really one of those 'core' gamers that just want a pure, 100% gaming machine as a console. I have absolutely zero interest in all the possible multimedia apps. Why should I? PCs are 100 times better in everything multi media related and way more comfortable, with a huge free software support plus community.

The huge amount of VRAM is indeed what interests me most in a PS4 (of course as all other specs are mediocre at best compared to my gaming PC I already have), and of course the possible implication this would have for Sony's first party devs.

I fear that Gamescom is going to be boring...as I believe now that both will focus on non-gaming stuff.

More insider stuff from Gaf.

shinobi602 said:
Here's the deal...somewhat. From a dev at one of the biggest in the industry. Just a messenger here.

Dev still a little cagey to give out 100% concrete numbers unfortunately like I was previously told, so I apologize ahead of time that they're not as detailed, but these are supposed to be the closest to detailed info I get on the OS footprint:

-At most, the OS uses 1.5GB, with a good amount of that helping the HD recording feature and on the fly switching/ multi tasking
-4.5GB is indeed about what's available for devs at present.
-1GB is set aside for futureproofing OS operations down the line.
-1GB for developer reserve, should they need it

And finally as an important point, I'm being told the faster RAM in the PS4 does in fact make a huge difference.

I don't see why the sky is falling, too many people with opinions about stuff they don't understand.

Maybe I'm weird, but I actually like the idea of a system that can do more than just play games.
You can do lots of things. You just need the swap from game to Netflix to be instantaneous. 15 seconds of load time won't be the end of the world! We ahve that already on the current consoles, quitting the game and loading iPlayer, say, because you only do one at a time that's consuming your display. I don't see a need for multiple concurrent apps like maps and Facebook. Anyone that into multitasking will surely already be doing all that on their phone, so why eat into the console as well? It's overkill IMO. Hell, 1 GB should be plenty for decent base experience anyhow, even with live apps resident. An app is a few MBs in size typically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back