News & Rumours: Playstation 4/ Orbis *spin*

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsu

Legend
There, source of early PS4 rumors/info is likely Teiji Yutaka (SVP Technology Platform) from SCE:
http://www.semicontaiwan.org/en/sites/semicontaiwan.org/files/SiP 3D IC_Teiji_Yutaka_SONY.pdf

He's talking about stereoscopic 3D rendering (and beyond). It would coincide with the PS4 rumors we heard:

Bandwidth is the key factor for render performance

... which leads to some forecast and prediction by third parties:
http://www.i-micronews.com/upload/Rapports/3D_Silicon_&Glass_Interposers_sample_2012.pdf

EDIT:
Plus the Sony CTO (Masaaki Tsuruta) interview:
http://mandetech.com/2012/01/10/sony-masaaki-tsuruta-interview/

... and the leaked alpha devkit documents.

There, source of early PS4 rumors/info is likely Teiji Yutaka (SVP Technology Platform) from SCE:
http://www.semicontaiwan.org/en/sites/semicontaiwan.org/files/SiP 3D IC_Teiji_Yutaka_SONY.pdf

He's talking about stereoscopic 3D rendering (and beyond). It would coincide with the PS4 rumors we heard:

... which leads to some forecast and prediction by third parties:
http://www.i-micronews.com/upload/Rapports/3D_Silicon_&Glass_Interposers_sample_2012.pdf

EDIT:
Plus the Sony CTO (Masaaki Tsuruta) interview:
http://mandetech.com/2012/01/10/sony-masaaki-tsuruta-interview/

... and the leaked alpha devkit documents.

The second PDF you provided has a pie-chart with the Playstation listed under "Set-Top Box and Hybrid Set-Top Box". I thought that was an interesting confirmation.

The second PDF you provided has a pie-chart with the Playstation listed under "Set-Top Box and Hybrid Set-Top Box". I thought that was an interesting confirmation.

Not really, it's just a picture of a ps3 which may or may not be related to that set-top pie piece. Right next to it is a game station pie piece (11%) and next to that is a game station controller (8%).

The more interesting is that from game controller to smartphone represents Sony core products or 68% of the chart. Do you think they have a vested interest in stacked tech?

Not really, it's just a picture of a ps3 which may or may not be related to that set-top pie piece. Right next to it is a game station pie piece (11%) and next to that is a game station controller (8%).

The more interesting is that from game controller to smartphone represents Sony core products or 68% of the chart. Do you think they have a vested interest in stacked tech?

If you line them up, the controller is for the controller section. The box with "VUDU" on it was in the game station piece of the pie. Everything else lines up, too. Hybrid could also include game stations and meant to pertain to game stations. It would be quite strange to have everything else line up accept that one.

I'm sure Sony does have a huge interest in stacked tech. That would coincide with the $1 billion investment in it.

I'm sure Sony does have a huge interest in stacked tech. That would coincide with the $1 billion investment in it.
If you mean the stacked sensors fab investment, I don't think it applies to what the PS4 would need, it's low power and analog. Maybe they could reuse some tech they developed but it would need a new fab either way.

Yeah, I think it's just an outside observer's view. Sony is into settop box but we haven't really seen any major release there.

Usually their launch day console has the best hardware, and then it degrades in quality over time to match the price.

Kutaragi launched PSX to extend PS2 ? But it seems to be a one-off effort so far.

I do wonder if they will/should change up the model to smoothen the generation gap problems especially if they throw away b/c, and it gets more and more expensive to make "core games".

http://kotaku.com/5977849/the-plays...ncy-user-accounts-and-impressive-specs-so-far

Kotaku claims they have info on PS4 and current dev kits (PDF having 90 pages), supplied by "Superdae". Here are the specs!

System Memory: 8GB
Video Memory: 2.2 GB
CPU: 4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" (so, 8x cores)
GPU: AMD R10xx
Ports: 4x USB 3.0, 2x Ethernet
Drive: Blu-Ray
HDD: 160GB
Audio Output: HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels

2.2 GB of VRAM sounds weird though...

Devkits have usually more RAM than the final product, don't they?

original.jpg

Kotaku

Which means that the PS4 will let more than one person be logged into the same system at the same time. It achieves this by linking control pads to user accounts; as each new controller syncs with the system, that player's account can be logged in as well. Accounts won't be "locked" to a controller; you'll simply be prompted to sign in to an account every time an extra pad is connected to the console.

One application we learned about for this feature would be that, were four players in a co-op battle able to defeat a boss, then all four would receive trophies.

Good feature for co-op games on the same console.

2.2 GB of VRAM sounds weird though...

Unless they're running a dedicated chunk of VRAM on a funky memory bus.

Dev kits normall have double the RAM so you could argue that the final machine wil have

4Gb system RAM and 1.1Gb of Vram on a funky bus.

I don't buy the 4x2 bulldozer core bit, it doesn't tally with any rumour, it's either a 4 core steamroller setup (in which case why have a bulldozer 8 core set up not 4) or 8 jaguar cores which aren't anywhere near as powerful as Bulldozer cores so again why have 8 much stronger cores?

If I was to guess why there's 2.2 gb of vram, maybe it's what Sony are telling developers to target for graphical data (or maybe they deem it enough to work with right now until the final devkits are released containing actual hardware) and it's the only way they can have the bandwidth they are rumoured to offer in a "PC based" devkit.

I don't buy the 4x2 bulldozer core bit, it doesn't tally with any rumour, it's either a 4 core steamroller setup (in which case why have a bulldozer 8 core set up not 4) or 8 jaguar cores which aren't anywhere near as powerful as Bulldozer cores so again why have 8 much stronger cores?.

4x2 is quite simple...

4 modules of 2 cores = 8 Cores...

A 4 core Steamroller set-up would be 2 modules of 2 or 2x2

A 4 module Steamroller would be 8 cores or 4x2

It's really not a difficult concept...

I don't buy the 4x2 bulldozer core bit, it doesn't tally with any rumour, it's either a 4 core steamroller setup (in which case why have a bulldozer 8 core set up not 4) or 8 jaguar cores which aren't anywhere near as powerful as Bulldozer cores so again why have 8 much stronger cores?

They can always clock them lower. Since it's a non-final kit, all they really need to do is get something with 8 threads and appropriate SIMD support (e.g. AVX) just to get their engines up and running.

Is the VRAM also usually doubled in dev kits?
1GB VRAM is extremely limited for a console coming in 2013, unless the GPU can access both the VRAM and the main RAM directly (a la A5X and A6X).

The "Radeon R10xx" reference points to a Southern Islands GPU (if AMD kept its former family codenames, R800 would be Evergreen, then R900 Northern Islands and R1000 Southern Islands).
So kotaku's rumours point to a 1st-gen GCN GPU.

I also wonder why the Bulldozer cores. At least in the PC, they're awfully inefficient for games. The desktop versions are heavily surpassed not only by Piledriver but also by the former K10/K10.1 CPUs in performance/watt.
Maybe it's actually an "Enhanced-Bulldozer", which means it's actually a Piledriver or a Steamroller.

This wasn't possible on the PS3?

On Live you can have multiple profiles sign in to play local co-op games.

They patched it in for PS3 a while ago. This is probably a formalization/expansion of the concept.

When they launched Vita, they also allow the same user to sync data between Vita and PS3 (You have to login to both devices at the same time).

This wasn't possible on the PS3?

On Live you can have multiple profiles sign in to play local co-op games.
On the PS3 it's overly complicated because there's a logical separation of local accounts, network accounts, and rights, it's "linked" but it's like a workstation. You log on a local account, and then optionally log on your network account, created separately. The games that use profiles from multiple users (like LittleBigPlanet) are referring only to the local accounts on the PS3, which may not have the same name as the network one, nor easily sync between multiple consoles/devices. Also, buying something online gives the rights to the whole console, not to the individual accounts (because rights do not require an online connection, and remain even if you format/replace your hard drive). I guess they unified all this now. Not sure if it means accounts will require internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back