Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
He obviously means it has secret GPUs. Not one, but two. That's right, Xbox One has three GPUs. One of them is external, and it plugs itself into your body through the controller, and then routes wires up your arms and into your brain; That's how they're doing VR.

He obviously means it has secret GPUs. Not one, but two. That's right, Xbox One has three GPUs. One of them is external, and it plugs itself into your body through the controller, and then routes wires up your arms and into your brain; That's how they're doing VR.

Na man. They lut a bluray drive in to cover the other apu. Its really dual apus.

Think about it for a moment. Not only do u get 16 cpus but also 2 gpus with 24 cus and wait for it......... 2x the shape processing !

If anything is stacked onto the apu, it's mostly likely the eSRAM. We have seen dual chips before with the 360. MS might of went with stacking as a way to improve bandwidth to off chip SRAM.

It would explain any manufacturing issues related eSRAM rumors related to yield.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno, if you wanna go into conspiracy stuff this old gaf post by Penello always struck me as pretty weird, especially the bolded

You think the answer to Panello's question, "can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?" was, "Hide a second GPU on top of the SoC and don't tell anyone, not even your developers"?

It happens every time, from raytracing chips to physics processors to second GPUs - people who'll entertain the most absurd notions despite the lack of sound evidence. The ability for human beings to find patterns through the most tenuous of associations makes for diverse discussions, if nothing else. ;)

Na man. They lut a bluray drive in to cover the other apu. Its really dual apus.

Think about it for a moment. Not only do u get 16 cpus but also 2 gpus with 24 cus and wait for it......... 2x the shape processing !

The Xbox Dual GPU will never die !!! These threads started out with rumors of such things and end the same the same way. Ah the nostalgia for all those bygone days so many months ago :D

Mary Hopkin said it best ... Those were the Days .... oh yes those were the Days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVit7cesj8

I gotta go to work, but they say the dGPU is somewhere in the SOC -thanks to javisoft for the pic-.

Apparently Microsoft said that they couldn't reveal everything about the console until next month, so they didn't disclose some extra details because of NDA stuff. I cant elaborate on it now. cheers

The pic says the dGPU is 22nm SOI. Is IBM in the business of building AMD console GPUs now?

The pic outlines two roughly 100W power feeds going into the chip, one for the CPU and the GPU.
A good chunk of this is likely be overprovisioning, since they'd want some margin to keep the device reliable in unknown consumer environments.
Another possible contributing reason is the more advanced power management that modern chips have. At least in existing desktop APUs, the CPU and GPU can trade off space under the power cap pretty readily, so either side could ramp up and take the lion share of TDP at any given moment. It would help if power delivery is there to oblige.

If it's a non-final board, they may have left the margin in as they played with different power/clock mixes for the design. No point in limiting either side by power if they find reason to push it.

On a side note, kudos to eastmen

Next time, people will know who to believe :)

Im not an insider. I just have a couple of friends in the industry. I got lucky with what I was told and I passed it foward as the same.

Whats fun y is I did get an infraction here for talking about the xbox having a faster cpu and dedicated audio and how it would affect games I

Im not an insider. I just have a couple of friends in the industry. I got lucky with what I was told and I passed it foward as the same.

Thanks anyway for sharing, At least we know your friend has good quality intel.

Whats fun y is I did get an infraction here for talking about the xbox having a faster cpu and dedicated audio and how it would affect games I

Yeah, those were the days of fudmongers, and good quality info was dismissed.

Next time, i hope, they think twice

I gotta go to work, but they say the dGPU is somewhere in the SOC -thanks to javisoft for the pic-.
dk5YVRF.jpg

Apparently Microsoft said that they couldn't reveal everything about the console until next month, so they didn't disclose some extra details because of NDA stuff. I cant elaborate on it now. cheers

:LOL: @ "the dGPU is 22nm SOI"

Seriously who is supposed to have fabbed this for them? Is Intel fabbing AMD designs now? Funniest thing I've read in a while and that's before we get to apparently deciding to fab at two different nodes for 'teh lulz'

You think the answer to Panello's question, "can anyone conceive of a circumstance or decision one platform holder could make, where despite the theoretical performance benchmarks of the components, the box that appears “weaker” could actually be more powerful?" was, "Hide a second GPU on top of the SoC and don't tell anyone, not even your developers"?

It happens every time, from raytracing chips to physics processors to second GPUs - people who'll entertain the most absurd notions despite the lack of sound evidence. The ability for human beings to find patterns through the most tenuous of associations makes for diverse discussions, if nothing else. ;)

Well the increased bandwidth from the ESRAM was a shock to MS and developers maybe new capabilities and performance that just happen to coincide with a dGPU were found in the SOC after the final spin :LOL:

Has Panello actually said there are NO RAY TRACING modules in the XB! ??!!! ;)

dk5YVRF.jpg

That info come from the same guy who was claiming that the new Xbox would have 3 APUs & over 4TFLOPS.

It can't be on top: the chip is labelled as being diffused in Taiwan. They'd have to sneak their alleged 22nm IBM SOI GPU under it, unless we want to add international trade dispute to our rumored Durango feature set.

That info come from the same guy who was claiming that the new Xbox would have 3 APUs & over 4TFLOPS.
I knew that MS Paint looked familiar.

It can't be on top: the chip is labelled as being diffused in Taiwan. They'd have to sneak their alleged 22nm IBM SOI GPU under it, unless we want to add international trade dispute to our rumored Durango feature set.

I knew that MS Paint looked familiar.

Yep our old friend Mistercteam.

I feel taking the Mickey out of someone for asking if something is possible is kind of bullying in my opinion .
As far the latest set of romours in my eyes there just a by product of Microsoft holding back information at hot chips .

The holding back of details by Microsoft about what exactly in there SOC is a smoking gun .which allows for all kinds of romours some outlandish some not so .

The only facts we know for sure are what come straight from Microsoft which are these ........they have designed some components themselfs heavily customized others and are not prepared yet to talk about some other parts thought to be graphic related .

I use my eyes I look at foza and ryse son of Rome and think bloody hell I never new such a weak ass gpu could produce such results .
Now that could just be down to the closed box nature of a console development plus developer talent or it could be down to things not talked about yet by Microsoft .

The truth is probably a mixture of all three in my opinion .:)

I dunno, if you wanna go into conspiracy stuff this old gaf post by Penello always struck me as pretty weird, especially the bolded

Well there's a lot about these systems we don't know about. Performance isn't solely dependent on clocks and flop counts.

Either company could have done things to the ISA of either GPU or CPU. We know Sony added the volatile bits to the GPU L2. Who's to say MS didn't do something similar or has another scheme? Either party could have made some tweaks to other functional units like the branch predictor, cache replacement policies, internal bus latencies/bandwidth, etc. There are simply so many things that could be tweaked in a system as complex as these. Each one probably has very little impact, but as a sum, sure they could add up. We just don't know and likely will never know.

Either company could have done things to the ISA of either GPU or CPU. We know Sony added the volatile bits to the GPU L2. Who's to say MS didn't do something similar or has another scheme? Either party could have made some tweaks to other functional units like the branch predictor, cache replacement policies, internal bus latencies/bandwidth, etc.

Branch predictor is iffy. Any realized benefits are measured in fractions of a percent, and modifying critical elements to the core would require that it be revalidated. That would be a schedule risk for little gain.
Microcoded instructions or minor tweaks might be possible in the time frames given, although nothing has been mentioned of work past the interface to the CPU section.

Moving outward from the core section, things can get progressively more modifiable.

I feel taking the Mickey out of someone for asking if something is possible is kind of bullying in my opinion .
As far the latest set of romours in my eyes there just a by product of Microsoft holding back information at hot chips .

The holding back of details by Microsoft about what exactly in there SOC is a smoking gun .which allows for all kinds of romours some outlandish some not so .

The only facts we know for sure are what come straight from Microsoft which are these ........they have designed some components themselfs heavily customized others and are not prepared yet to talk about some other parts thought to be graphic related .

I use my eyes I look at foza and ryse son of Rome and think bloody hell I never new such a weak ass gpu could produce such results .
Now that could just be down to the closed box nature of a console development plus developer talent or it could be down to things not talked about yet by Microsoft .

The truth is probably a mixture of all three in my opinion .:)

No the truth is that you must buy three X1's to play Ryse. Hook #1 to #2 via HDMI in, hook #2 to #1 via HDMI in, and then use #3 to play Ryse.
Your actual use and my banning may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back