Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apps aren't the same as games. I'm not talking about indie games but if Plex was allowed on the Xbox One, it would be using the Windows OS VM, not the Xbox game VM. Plex wouldn't need that extra power to display a UI and show a video.

Plex doesn't need a hd 7850 on a PC either. What is it about the term VM makes you think you need a separate OS for games versus apps? If you are talking ARM based WinRT apps than maybe it might be practical for MS to offer a WinRT OS VM. But there is no reason to roll multiple OS versions of x86 win 8.

final dev kits (early july according to df) are 8gb or 12gb? someone must know...

When people say a devkit has "final silicon" (or in this case "a match for retail silicon") that in no way implies anything about the amount of RAM it includes. There is no reason for MS to reduce the amount of RAM in the devkits if they can avoid it, and that doesn't say anything about the amount of RAM in the retail console.

"complete match for retail silicon" is the actual wording, and seems impossible to misinterpret.

It's possible the RAM is different I think, but the wording is stringent enough the onus would be on anybody saying otherwise.

Also if they got 12GB on the dev kit in the same box as retail, they must have figured out a way to do it, something which has been heavily debated as to it's plausibility here.

But I dont know if the final dev kit has 12GB, I have no idea. And I've heard nothing.

There was posts to the effect that the old paradigm of more RAM needed in dev kits than retail (aka 360 1GB kits for 512 retail) to take advantage doesn't hold anymore for the XBO because of the VM strategy, so maybe there'd be a question why have 12 in a kit at all for development purposes.

I'm trying to find an instance where the RAM rates high enough to be lumped in with anything. The big and relevant piece that everyone is tracking is the APU, and possibly any custom hardware Microsoft is developing.

The consoles are using standard RAM chips that were finalized before they were. If they are changed, they are going to be replaced by other equally long-final chips.

I'm looking into the dev kit thing, it's complicated - for one I don't even know how many dev kits there are:

I thought these were all of them:
1. alpha kits with HD7970s and 16 CPU cores, 12 GB of RAM - no ESRAM, move engines, SHAPE etc
2. beta kits - went out at the end of last year, have all the custom components like ESRAM and SHAPE etc, the ones with tiger camoflage and were very noisy?
3. final kits, went out July 2013

Then there's the question of whether final retail hardware has 12 GB of RAM or final kits based on retail silicon have 12 GB of RAM (and final retail hardware has only 8GB).

I'm looking into the dev kit thing, it's complicated - for one I don't even know how many dev kits there are:

I thought these were all of them:
1. alpha kits with HD7970s and 16 CPU cores, 12 GB of RAM - no ESRAM, move engines, SHAPE etc
2. beta kits - went out at the end of last year, have all the custom components like ESRAM and SHAPE etc, the ones with tiger camoflage and were very noisy?
3. final kits, went out July 2013

Then there's the question of whether final retail hardware has 12 GB of RAM or final kits based on retail silicon have 12 GB of RAM (and final retail hardware has only 8GB).

What source do we have for the 16 cpu cores? I've just been reading a post over in the deep down thread which links a vr-zone article talking about the dev kits and they mention an 8-core Sandybridge in the alpha moving to an 8 core AMD in the beta but with no mention of an additional processor for audio. I'm not saying that's wrong but would just be interested to read the original source.

So 800/700GFLOPS or there about wasn't enough to do audio, why don't i believe this.

Erm, 8 Jaguar cores are only around 100 GF...

This was the reason why we had rumours of 16 CPU cores floating around way back last year.

So final dev kits for certain have 12GB? Because you did not say option C) Final dev kits have 8GB RAM.

Eastmen says a recent devkit (that's setup like like the one in Wired's photos) has 12 GB.
I think that's a beta kit and not one of these new kits that went out in July.

He mentions this was right around E3:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1768359&postcount=5065
However i'm guessing this refers to MS asking devs for feedback on proposed upgrades like 12GB of RAM around E3 and not that the devs got the devkit around E3.

Which would make the kit in question a beta kit which went out at the end of last year.
Unless there are more than the three kits I listed previously.

As you can see it's quite complicated...

So I don't know if the final kits which (according to both eastmen and now, Richard) went out in July have 12 GB, but it's probable that the beta kits had 12 GB and not 8 GB as some were speculating.

Last edited by a moderator:

This was the reason why we had rumours of 16 CPU cores floating around way back last year.

But the Alpha kits had Sandybridges in them because the Jaguar wouldn't have been available at that time. So at full clock speed you're talking around 400 GFLOPs there. I know there's a lot of fixed function stuff in there for the kinect audio side of things so we're not exactly talking about an 8 core SB worth of in game audio but still....

So 800/700GFLOPS or there about wasn't enough to do audio, why don't i believe this.

Betanumerical, why do not want to read the " Xbox One versus PS4 audio" topic?
Believe me, it is a very very interesting read!
You will learn a lot there, and it will gives you also a more complete and round view of the next gen platforms!

How did they use a 8 core Jaguar in the Alpha kits when Jaguar is only coming out this year?. You said it was a 2x8 Intel, that would easily reach at least id say, 300/400GFLOPs in a quad core.

Betanumerical, why do not want to read the " Xbox One versus PS4 audio" topic?
Believe me, it is a very very interesting read!
You will learn a lot there, and it will gives you also a more complete and round view of the next gen platforms!

I don't need to read it because I already have, and I can tell you now, SHAPE is no where near 800GFLOPS.

Precise emulation of fixed-function hardware takes a lot more oomph than just solving the problem the hardware is doing. Tens of times more.

We have the numbers for SHAPE from the guy who worked on it, so we should easily know what kind of power would be required to replicate, that power easily exists in 8 core CPU's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back