Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
The correct term I believe is Windows 8 Modern UI apps which can be complied to target x86, ARM or both.

So very OT but here goes
AFAIK the API is WinRT, the O/S is Windows RT and the style is called Windows Modern or ModernUI but never Metro (except by everybody). No one can muddy the waters like MS can.

Edit: Ninja'd, so there are others who deal with this mess every day here too....

Did not Xbox guy Albert Panello say that final specs would be published sometime before launch recently?

I recall a post of his being quoted somewhere here.

Possibly unveiled at Hotchips, last session on Tuesday 27th August - "Xbox One Silicon" delivered by some esteemed MS folks "John Sell and Pat O’Connor"

http://www.hotchips.org/

John Sell + others Patent - "Scalable multimedia computer system architecture with qos guarantees" http://www.google.com/patents/US201...a=X&ei=WkzXUa6sE62eiAetw4CwBA&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA

That patent amongst other patents was early rumoured to be the predecessor to XB1

Possibly unveiled at Hotchips, last session on Tuesday 27th August - "Xbox One Silicon" delivered by some esteemed MS folks "John Sell and Pat O’Connor"

http://www.hotchips.org/

John Sell + others Patent - "Scalable multimedia computer system architecture with qos guarantees" http://www.google.com/patents/US201...a=X&ei=WkzXUa6sE62eiAetw4CwBA&ved=0CDYQ6AEwAA

That patent amongst other patents was early rumoured to be the predecessor to XB1

Will be unveiled before that event. Probably at gamescom or even earlier. Don't know why MS does wait so long. Maybe the have really changed something... Clock up or down.

WinRT API (Windows 8 across the board) as opposed to Windows RT OS (windows on ARM).

Yup that's my understanding ... it is WinRT (the API) + Custom "Windows" [with unnecessary bits stripped out + SharedCore]

My hope is that it will have DrawBridge technology , as someone referenced to a while back. I've been following that technology from MS very closely for a long time - nice video for those that want to know more about it - http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Drawbridge-An-Experimental-Library-Operating-System

I'm also guessing that from the WinRT api side , it will mainly concentrate on the WinJS(Web stack) side, i.e. minus the XAML stack, for it's smartglass apps. I've long heard that SmartGlass apps are web technologie driven apps.

Will be unveiled before that event. Probably at gamescom or even earlier. Don't know why MS does wait so long. Maybe the have really changed something... Clock up or down.

If they haven't changed anything from whats been leaked I don't know why they would "unveil" anything. They already know the hardcore HATE those specs. :)

my guess is once the specs can be completely verified and both consoles are closer to release, they will have some real world data to share which will show not just specs but how their tweaks to the hardware and the memory subsystem and the helper chips all combine to create a more powerful graphics/sound delivery system than the numbers on the paper currently would tell anyone... as by the paper numbers they lose, but as a whole my guess is (as others have surmised) in real world they will do just fine, thank you very much.

the games will also show it...

just as it was last gen...

Yup that's my understanding ... it is WinRT (the API) + Custom "Windows" [with unnecessary bits stripped out + SharedCore]

My hope is that it will have DrawBridge technology , as someone referenced to a while back. I've been following that technology from MS very closely for a long time - nice video for those that want to know more about it - http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Drawbridge-An-Experimental-Library-Operating-System

I'm also guessing that from the WinRT api side , it will mainly concentrate on the WinJS(Web stack) side, i.e. minus the XAML stack, for it's smartglass apps. I've long heard that SmartGlass apps are web technologie driven apps.

JS just seems so limiting, especially when most Microsoft debs know .NET. Asking them to be well versed in web technologies is a bit over the line. Plus, JS offers no code portability to Windows Phone.

360 apps were written in C# and XAML with Silverlight as a framework, so I expect C# support to continue.

Keeping onto the topic with an open mind, Does anyone believe that the little quantity of ESram was used for testing purposes, And once proven effective will increase or perhaps partially replace some of the existing DDR3 memory?

so it's past friday...interference promised us an answer :devilish:

Well the overclock rumor is quite old, 4 months old.
12GB rumor is also 4 months old.
While players were waiting for these rumors to come MS showed the XBO, and even said it has 8GB of RAM and we are July so I dare to suggest a crazy theory which is that the rumors are false and MS is happy with the XBO as it is!

Is my theory more plausible or MS caching specs 4 moths from release makes more sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they can finally talk about what exactly they can do with the esram and what specific modifications they added to any of the chip. I doubt major changes are in the books. Clock speed are under wrap because they don't want to give the competitor anything. Sony may just do a little adjustment if MS releases their clocks and vice versa, they can do it and take some repercussions just to be slightly faster.

Why would they upclock or add 4GB RAM (which would be asymmetrical, making it a very wonky solution) only a few months before launch? That's just crazy talk.

What point would 12GB be anyway? There wouldn't be any reasonable use for it. Just loading it all up with data - even from HDD - would take considerable time, so again, what would be the point? It's just fanboy nonsense, that's all.

Why would they upclock or add 4GB RAM (which would be asymmetrical, making it a very wonky solution) only a few months before launch? That's just crazy talk.

What point would 12GB be anyway? There wouldn't be any reasonable use for it. Just loading it all up with data - even from HDD - would take considerable time, so again, what would be the point? It's just fanboy nonsense, that's all.

Regardless of how silly the specs are, do not assume that any leak made now is from a decision made recently.

An extra 4GB could be used as a fast buffer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back