Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm way behind on posts. what's the current thinking on the claimed 200 GB/s total RAM bandwidth? Number massaging, or signs of increased clocks? DDR3 is maxxed out I think, which means another 30% on the ESRAM bandwidth. Maybe 20% with rounding up for PR purposes.

68GB/s (DDR3) + 102,4GB/s(eSRAM) + 30GB/s (CPU-GPU Interconnect)
= 200,4GB/s

They did the same thing back then with the 360 eDRAM setting.
They claimed 278GB/s bandwidth. :smile:

I'm way behind on posts. what's the current thinking on the claimed 200 GB/s total RAM bandwidth? Number massaging, or signs of increased clocks? DDR3 is maxxed out I think, which means another 30% on the ESRAM bandwidth. Maybe 20% with rounding up for PR purposes.

Most people are saying they just unethically added the 30GB/s of CPU bandwidth to the normal 170GB/s.

Of course my sentiments laid with an overclock, but a possible gaffer insider implied otherwise so i cooled off a bit on that.

GPU clock has to hit 1 GHz to get there. Some people have written that Jaguar does not scale well to clock bumps past 1.6 GHz.

68GB/s (DDR3) + 102,4GB/s(eSRAM) + 30GB/s (CPU-GPU Interconnect)
= 200,4GB/s
That could well be it. Disappointing, but not unlike past PR efforts. The overclock idea did sound ambitious for extra ESRAM BW; just fiddling the numbers is a lot easier. :p

Resolution reduction makes sense. I mean, the fact that most people have absolutely no idea that many games run at sub-720p resolutions on their 60" 1080p TVs means they'll never notice. You can only tell with the UI layer that's rendering pixel sharp text (which shouldn't be affected).

It seems like SHAPE audio processor is getting some recognition at last! :) It's fucking ace.

Yay, love sound. And in a racing game....

http://www.xbox-360.co.za/2013/05/23/fmod-studio-to-enable-next-generation-audio-on-xbox-one/

FMOD Studio to Enable Next Generation Audio on Xbox One

Firelight Technologies today announced that its cutting edge audio technology has been optimized to support Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft.

The high performance processor and dedicated Scalable Hardware Audio Processing Engine (SHAPE) is fully utilized by FMOD Studio to deliver next generation audio for the next generation of games. Authorized Xbox One developers and publishers can download an evaluation today.
We’re thrilled to be working with Turn 10 on the Forza Motorsport franchise for Xbox One. They’re really pushing the boundaries of what’s possible in game audio.” said Raymond Biggs, lead developer for FMOD Studio. “They’re doing things in Forza Motorsport 5 that just weren’t possible with the last generation of consoles and audio tools. I know gamers are going to be blown away.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I think it's much more simple than that. The PS4 has two of them, one for the game and one for the UI layer. The Xbox One has an HDMI Input, which imho would be the most logical candidate for being handled by the third display pane.

2 of them say Title & 1 for System.
display_planes1.jpg

Has anyone heard anything about the Compute abilities of the Xbox One's GPU relative to..

PS4's 64-Compute Queues (8-ACE's x 8-CL's)

&

Standard GCN's 4-Compute Queues (2 ACE's x 2CL's)

..?

Has anyone heard anything about the Compute abilities of the Xbox One's GPU relative to..

&

..?
Not 100% sure. But yes, I think we have heard about that, but the guy got the numbers wrong iirc. I think GCN capabilities are exactly the same on both consoles and both GPUs share the ability to draw two primitives per cycle -or per triangle, I don't remember-.

&

..?

The only difference i can see the queues really making is that they allow you to have more data streams to pick from for when you want you to do something, so you could run more programs on the GPU concurrently, but other then that not much.

They specifically said they would be using the planes for fast switching in the after conference tech panel IIRC. One plane each for OS/APP/GAME. Don't know if they allow devs to override this. Or maybe i am extrapolating what they were saying from the example they gave. Someone should go back and watch again, see if they get the same impression.

Makes sense to me that they would use different planes for the snapping functionality for apps at the side of the screen, running at a different res/refresh and scaled appropriately, and still having full screen OS/System level notifications on top of the two side by side Game and App planes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not 100% sure. But yes, I think we have heard about that, but the guy got the numbers wrong iirc. I think GCN capabilities are exactly the same on both consoles and both GPUs share the ability to draw two primitives per cycle -or per triangle, I don't remember-.

Im pretty certain these customizations in the PS4 gpu are real, Cerny has said so directly i believe.

They are designed to increase efficiency of compute jobs, specifically trying to maximise the use of GPU downtime by having lots of ques that can be picked from to process whenever there is a moment free.

No, I think it's much more simple than that. The PS4 has two of them, one for the game and one for the UI layer. The Xbox One has an HDMI Input, which imho would be the most logical candidate for being handled by the third display pane.

I think the planes picture is obvious:

1: Full Screen Game
2: Full Screen App
3: Snap App

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back