Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's little bit tricky to make comparison to PC GPUs, because the memory system is quite different, but just in terms of the GPU, a Bonaire downclocked to 685Mhz would imo be the closest match. Xbone GPU shares some similarities with Bonaire that don't exist in the 7770 like 2 geometry engines. Downclocked to 685Mhz obviously comes from the fact that Bonaire has 14CUs instead of 12.

Seriously?

It's the closest in power and architecture that there is. 7790 is running at a faster clock.

get off your high horse.

So we shouldn't call it a 7790 because it runs at a faster clock, but calling it a 7770 is ok? You might want to check out the clock speed of a 7770 as well, or the number of compute units.

Comparing to PC parts isn't really going to provide any useful performance metrics as all those pc parts lack esram and dme's. And none are exactly the same without those features.

Well, one of my friends works in the dev tools area. They have a dial drawn on a whiteboard somewhere with their status. It just recently went from "Shitty" to "Partly Shitty"

So , let's see.... they're behind in hardware , and now they're behind in tools too (the dev from Avalanche confirms it ) ?
What exactly all those people at MS do , drinking beers and eating pizza ?

Are they behind because they suck or because sony really up the game with their tools.

I suggest its the later given whats been posted about the vita tools.

All else being equal, the CUs in the 7770@1GHz are 4% faster than the 12CU@800MHz in the Xbox One, and the 7790 would be 45% faster.

Seems like the 7770 is a fair comparison.

Are they behind because they suck or because sony really up the game with their tools.

I suggest its the later given whats been posted about the vita tools.

Or it's neither? Maybe Sony started earlier and the talent is basically equal? Honestly, I would expect that to be the most likely answer, but it's not very exciting for forum wars.

Comparing to PC parts isn't really going to provide any useful performance metrics as all those pc parts lack esram and dme's. And none are exactly the same without those features.

The dmes and esram exist for the sole purpose of making up for inept bandwidth of ddr3.

7770 (1.28tf) is as close as we can get to the 1.2tf quoted for durango.

As I said, get off your high horse.

Point is/was that the architecture is well known and unfortunately not all that exciting so may not be worth the time and effort to do an in-depth article.

The specs themselves are most relevant and should be analyzed in context; what similar card(s) could do in a PC is pointless because as we all know the 12 CUs are working with the rest of the hardware to get us what we will see on the TV. Will it be 1080P at 30 FPS, 720P up-scaled to 1080P and so on are the relevant questions IMO.

And while as many have already pointed out the difference between the presumed power of the PS4 and X1 suggest the PS4 will have an advantage the delta is likely not big enough for most consumers to even noticed the difference. So we are mostly left with looking at what we can expect in terms of visual fidelity independent of which platform is being taken into consideration.

They added eSRAM to make up the 4GB/s deficit (~6%) to the 7770? Good call.

Yeah and seemingly spent 1.6B transistors to do so.

Not a very good call in my book, but it is what it is.

@ Rangers - exactly, GPU + (8) cores.

I imagine the CPU will do something other than read it's cache all day.

The only 5% of hope of having a comparable system to xbox one competitors is they get good yields and temperature out of the test run silicon.

That along with the stark realisation of upsetting their core gamers Might persuade them to up clocks.
The box sure does have a good look to it for proper cooling.

That along with the stark realisation of upsetting their core gamers Might persuade them to up clocks.
The box sure does have a good look to it for proper cooling.
Why?
Why devote anything other than press or game demonstrations to placate the tens of gamers that are freaking out over the number of cycles the SOC twitches a second?

There is no strong rational basis to those objections, which means that of the peanut gallery that isn't just trying to justify buying a PS4 or PC, the remainder would change their mind based on the phase of the moon or what new flavor Cheetos comes out next month.

I wouldn't spend a dollar to change their mind, knowing I'd only have things go my way for ten seconds, and screwing with yield curves is going to cost tens of millions.

Why?
Why devote anything other than press or game demonstrations to placate the tens of gamers that are freaking out over the number of cycles the SOC twitches a second?

There is no strong rational basis to those objections, which means that of the peanut gallery that isn't just trying to justify buying a PS4 or PC, the remainder would change their mind based on the phase of the moon or what new flavor Cheetos comes out next month.

I wouldn't spend a dollar to change their mind, knowing I'd only have things go my way for ten seconds, and screwing with yield curves is going to cost tens of millions.

we have no idea what it would cost, and having a competitively powered system is a big deal.

i'd submit had the x360 stayed at 256 RAM for example, it might have cost ms billions in shortened life cycle and forcing low hardware prices to even stay in the game. they could not have kept the price comparable to the ps3. how much would that have cost over 8 years and 80 million consoles?

it certainly doesn't appear ms is going to raise any clocks. doesn't mean they arent making the wrong decision, though.

i'll submit nobody will accept it, but 70% of the mailaise around xbone is more cause of it's lack of punch than anything else. People smell blood, and that's why they smell blood. If it was sitting on 3 teraflops everything would be totally different (people would still be whining about the DRM stuff, but their would also be a general underlying subconscious feeling that it would inevitably conquer the market)

it's like how people are going to blame everything but the lack of power for Wii U failing. My favorite "people dont know it's a new console cause of the name". When every other reason Wii U fails is probably 5% as important as it's lack of power (imo).

Why?

He makes a good point WRT case cooling capabilities. The design itself is rated for 2ghz cpu and 1ghz gpu. The case has more than enough room, and as for consumer interest ... well this isn't the thread for it, but I'll just say the people like us in this forum and others that actually know about the console and know what's under the hood are the early adopters that will form the foundation (or not) of both platforms.

WiiU should have been a wake-up call for most of the naysayers WRT performance correlating to purchases in this day and age of waning casual interest in consoles...

Why?

Although Microsoft might think other wise, Xbox one doesn't scream a mass adoption device casual gamers are going to rush out and buy in droves like the wii... No way.

It doesnt look like that kind of device to look at, it doesn't look very fun as such, not like the wii, and nothing like the 360, with its brighter colour, gamer friendly swappable hard drives, replaceable face plates and the ability to stand on its side, it looks like a big black dvr... In short it looks like it should cater to the hardcore.

If Sony play the same games at twice the frame rate (as has been tweeted by someone) then it will get the hardcore gamer, which usually are the first type to go and buy the thing from the get go.
It also doesn't replace anything that anything else can do, it not a replacement cable box, so it serves no - need to have - purpose.
Xbox won't appeal to Japan, so forget that market - no, it needs to coax the hardcore gamer if it can, if only to get it off to a good start and keep game parity in the long run.

If it doesn't sell well the cost of yields will be small fry... It needs to get cross platform games to run within 10% of its main competitor in my opinion to be a success, it's competitor can probably do most of the special features/extras it can, especially if it ships a camera pepherial with every box also.

we have no idea what it would cost, and having a competitively powered system is a big deal.
The design is either physically competitive or it is not. A few hundred MHz either way is not going to reveal unheard of levels of performance.

Start messing with the discard rate of an IC manufactured in the tens of millions, or add a few bucks to the BOM of a product that sells in the tens of millions, and find someone to pay for it with the justification "the internetz told me".

i'll submit nobody will accept it, but 70% of the mailaise around xbone is more cause of it's lack of punch than anything else.
But the console is just 10% short of having punch?

People smell blood, and that's why they smell blood.
They still can't see sub-HD resolutions.

If it was sitting on 3 teraflops everything would be totally different
So if unicorns existed, those people would be reasonable.
I'd rather spend more money to get sane people to replace them as customers, because their criteria are forged in a crucible of insanity.

He makes a good point WRT case cooling capabilities. The design itself is rated for 2ghz cpu and 1ghz gpu. The case has more than enough room, and as for consumer interest ... well this isn't the thread for it, but I'll just say the people like us in this forum and others that actually know about the console and know what's under the hood are the early adopters that will form the foundation (or not) of both platforms.

WiiU should have been a wake-up call for most of the naysayers WRT performance correlating to purchases in this day and age of waning casual interest in consoles...

The thing with WiiU is that it didn't give us anything better than we had already, and the tablet controller did not resonate with people at all. Is it the processing power or the tablet story that prevented it from taking off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back