Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enough vocal people are happy with the news coming out of them . So they drum them up. We really don't know how old the info they have is or how accurate.

They have stated their PS4 info was 1.5 months old and in the latest Durango CPU article they state in the comments that their Durango info is from 2013.

bgassassin has more than one source, it'll depend on who told him about the CPU.
Whoever it was probably wasn't technically inclined and misinterpreted the specs (dual issue, 2x regular 4 core Jaguar) similar to how people have speculated here.

There's also some Durango spec PDF doing the rounds of GAF, thuway is saying to people not to post it - someone should try to get their hands on it and see if there's anything.

mmm, what about ESRAM being 1t-SRAM and so the chip size being 200mm2...and having two of them?. This would still be 2 times the CPU. And having a 7970 in the alpha kits would have sense as well as the 2 computers tapped together rumor.

Last edited by a moderator:
bgassassin has more than one source, it'll depend on who told him about the CPU.
Whoever it was probably wasn't technically inclined and misinterpreted the specs (dual issue, 2x regular 4 core Jaguar) similar to how people have speculated here.

There's also some Durango spec PDF doing the rounds of GAF, thuway is saying to people not to post it - someone should try to get their hands on it and see if there's anything.

So where did you read that thuway was telling people not to post it?

From what I was told its just the 2012 summit stuff that vgleaks posted previously (pre-cpu) and there wasnt much if any more

it makes no sense to me on the CPU side...why MS has tons of ex IBM Engineers if they aren't going to help make a custom CPU?

They have stated their PS4 info was 1.5 months old and in the latest Durango CPU article they state in the comments that their Durango info is from 2013.

And I state my durango info is from an hour ago. Who is correct and why is inr persons word trusted over another .

it makes no sense to me on the CPU side...why MS has tons of ex IBM Engineers if they aren't going to help make a custom CPU?
They're for another project, there is no way MS are not releasing an x86 cpu at this stage. The change would be too radical from what has leaked and if they were staying PPC you can be sure there would be leaks aplenty about how s/w guys were annoyed at MS not jumping on the x86 train. If they had changed in the last 12 months or so they would be in essence flipping all 3rd parties the bird by forcing them back to square 0. That doesn't build relationships too well

Hmm, thuway is registered here, but...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=48275390&postcount=220
It's not a rumor now. I am confirming it. You need a link? There is no link. I am the link :). The point is, MS is going for 100% GPU efficiency.
Honestly you have no clue on what you are talking about. This demo was created/running on approximation hardware - not final dev/PS4 silicon. Also, the demo was created within a constrained timeframe for showing. Just for sh**s and giggles, the demo only used 27-29% of the AH resources - unoptimized. Before you ask, there is no link, I am the link.

Maybe in order to prepare the console for backward with some arrange with 2 or 3 PPC cores somehow in the console. Lastly, that was the original Yukon Project, isn´t it?

For what it's worth I've just been reading the latest issue of EDGE. It has a PS4 versus Durango feature and they discuss the leek http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durango-unveiled-2/ with a developer working with both machines. They confirm the leeks as correct although EDGE is careful to say that the GPU is from an unknown vendor but freely state the cpu as the Jaguar. Further when questioning the developer further he readily admits that the PS4 is the more powerful machine but the differences are marginal, like that from the 360 and PS3 he states. By the way it's St. David’s day and I'm Welsh so leeks is spelt correctly :D

Basically what EDGE is reporting are the leaks seen regarding Durango are essentially the real thing and I wouldn't expect anything different come it’s unveiling.

For what it's worth I've just been reading the latest issue of EDGE. It has a PS4 versus Durango feature and they discuss the leek http://www.vgleaks.com/world-exclusive-durango-unveiled-2/ with a developer working with both machines. They confirm the leeks as correct although EDGE is careful to say that the GPU is from an unknown vendor but freely state the cpu as the Jaguar. Further when questioning the developer further he readily admits that the PS4 is the more powerful machine but the differences are marginal, like that from the 360 and PS3 he states. By the way it's St. David’s day and I'm Welsh so leeks is spelt correctly :D

Basically what EDGE is reporting are the leaks seen regarding Durango are essentially the real thing and I wouldn't expect anything different come it’s unveiling.

other than amd or nvidia - which gpu vendor can supply the durango gpu ? ( powervr ?)

And I state my durango info is from an hour ago. Who is correct and why is inr persons word trusted over another .

Well if you choose not to believe that is fine by me.:smile:

I will say that there is probably a lot of communication via PM/Email from "insiders" from here and Gaf, at least between each other. And possibly with the people behind VGleaks.

This game of telephone is causing a lot of confusion IMO.

The only suspect thing VGleaks had about the PS4 specs was the 14+4 CU thing, which I think was possibly just an example use case in the documents that they misinterpreted.

When Durango is unveiled in April I'll then judge VGleaks 'specs to reality.

I fail to see how the fact that MSFT would employ ex IBM engineers is any indication of them going to use PPC architecture now or later.

IBM have great engineers, MSFT build is hardware division it just make sense to recruit some top of the class engineers with experience in one of the most advanced semi conductor company of this world.

Either way, CPU are CPU, MSFT bought a ARM license one year ago (or a bit more) may they consider designing their own CPU. They could simply need the expertise of those guys to help their decisions (though good guys like those might usually expect more than that out of a position /work on a real project).

EDIT
I still doesn't exclude the possibility that if things are not going better for MSFT in the mobile realm (phones/tablets) in a couple of years before giving up MSFT will give a try at acting more vertically (ala Apple from the software to the hardware).
Actually I think the MSFT may be already working in that direction and have some team working on some in house implementation of the ARmv8 ISA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back