Xbox One (Durango) Technical hardware investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
If adding low latency RAM is relatively expensive, I could see where AMD and Nvidia would have to avoid using it in a core consumer/prosumer architecture because most of their products need to be scaleable to various price points. WHile it could make sense in there $600 offering it just wouldnt be feasible at $200 or $100, for example.

Also, would the driver maintenance for them increase dramatically to optimize for such different architectures simultaneously?

No,in the graphic it reads and writes to the gpu memory system,that is the memory controller that links the GPU with the northbridge and the ESRAM.

Yes, but the write speed exactly matches the ESRAM read/write speed, and it is the sole writer to the ESRAM, according to the diagram.

edit: nevermind, I was missing the 30GB/s coherent read/write to the north bridge.

That looks complicated.
Two CPU modules each having its own bus seems wierd.

Well, Jaguar was designed to be 4 cores max. It seems that instead of investing effort to unify their memory architecture, they left them separate.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the latency can make such a dofference why didn't we see it on the 360 , after all the Xenos GPU should be worse at hiding latency then the rumored parts and yet it still didn't storm ahead of its desktop counterparts did it ? (I can't remember)

Further more why didn't it slaughter the ps3 for the entire generation ? A better architecture plus low latency ram that can make massive power increases.

Yes, but the write speed exactly matches the ESRAM read/write speed, and it is the sole writer to the ESRAM, according to the diagram.

Well, Jaguar was designed to be 4 cores max. It seems that instead of investing effort to unify their memory architecture, they left them separate.

Mmm,i supposse is something like a pci express in PC that allows that the cpu and gpu talks giving the GPU access to the DDR3.

That looks complicated.
Two CPU modules each having its own bus seems wierd.

Makes perfect sense. A standard Jaguar module or compute unit consists of 4 cores and a shared cache unit featuring 4 blocks of L2.

Rather than design a whole new Jaguar CU both consoles simply use two of them on the same die.

If the latency can make such a dofference why didn't we see it on the 360 , after all the Xenos GPU should be worse at hiding latency then the rumored parts and yet it still didn't storm ahead of its desktop counterparts did it ? (I can't remember)

its counterparts came out like 2 years later lol

Further more why didn't it slaughter the ps3 for the entire generation ? A better architecture plus low latency ram that can make massive power increases.

Xenos EDRAM was write only,so was not a scratchpad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know why this hasn't been posted, but its a diagram of the durango system, bandwidth, connections and all that. http://i.imgur.com/dxH2hmm.jpg

It was gotten from vgleaks. I am sure they will post an article about it soon.

I'm not sure I'd put much stock into that. Some things look a bit questionable.

Take the bandwidth between the GPU and GPU Memory system for example. It can read at 170 GB/s but only write at 102 GB/s?

I'd suggest taking this with a big pile of salt. :)

Regards,
SB

Probably because the developers optimized the games for both architectures. If the GPU stalls under some conditions, the developers tweak their code, content or game to make them run well on the target platforms.

Also, there are other bottlenecks, not just stalls to take care of. Sometimes, the stalls are just a sign of bad algorithms (or algorithms gone bad). It doesn't necessarily mean the hardware s*cks. ^_^

Because the EDRAM in Xenos is not general purpose, and because it's a DX9 part, there's no GPGPU to speak of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back