Formula 1 - 2013 Season

I thought kimi sent a clear message to perez "stop being a cheeky little bugger" when he closed the door on him, did F1 a favor by taking the hit maybe perez will learn from it
ps:
Kimi Raikkonen says Sergio Perez should be "punched in the face" after an incident-strewn race in Monaco.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22675026

He also "knew" it's going to happen, he said earlier in team radio "That idiot is going to crash into me".

Also the team manager Boullier said that "Actually it was a nice word compared to what he really said" suggesting there was earlier, unbroadcasted message in the team radio with "more colorful expression" about Perez

Perez and Sutil were about the only racing entertainment in it and there's no denying that the line Kimi took in to the chicane was not anything like the normal racing line, and he sure didn't leave a car's width.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g80-CFe7_Ko

Edit - not saying Perez should have tried the pass - he was too far behind, but Kimi could have avoided contact had he wanted to.

Kimi had been using that line ever since Perez's previous try which forced them both to cut the chicane

One of my favourite races next, so let's hope normal racing will resume!
No more Monaco trains and nice, high speed track with wide tarmac allowing overtaking!

Yeah Canada is a great track.

Just watched the highlights of last year again, that was one of those "what if" races that cost Alonso the title when he decided to stay out and his tyres fell off the cliff with a few laps left, being passed by Grosjean, Perez and finally Vettel (who opted to stop with 6 laps left as his tyres were also going off) on the last lap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to admit I guessed that Perez was going to end up being crashing into someone. I'm not sure an overtaking maneuver that involves sticking your car into a position that gives the opposition two choices - 1. crash into me or 2. cut the chicane and get penalised - is a long term strategy. Raikonnen isn't the kind of driver to take kindly to that either. Think he was perfectly entitled to alter his entry into the chicane accordingly to shut-out Perez from trying again (not that it worked).

As for this Mercedes affair. Sounds stupid. Probably loads of miscommunication from everyone involved but, I mean c'mon, how can Mercedes have thought that other teams would be happy with them having a three-day test with the Pirelli tyres which everyone is struggling with to one degree or another. I think they probably buried their heads in the sand after getting some measure of reassurance from Pirelli.

My guess would be they're taking the risk that the Monaco result will be thrown out as punishment. Ok so they lose quite a lot of points, but they'll have gained a lot more for the rest of the season.

Even if all their points so far are removed they'll have gained more by the end of the season assuming their tyre issues are largely fixed. The big risk is that they are thrown out of course, but how likely is that as Pirelli will also be in trouble.

I doubt the monaco results will be affected in any way, they're made them official after the hearings too, but I'd suspect just shutting them out from constructors is the most likely scenario, allowing them to drive for drivers championship anyway like McLaren was couple years ago.

I think they should just allow all the other teams to do a similar 3 day test and call it a day.

Who would pay the bill? It's not like Marussia or Caterham for example have extra money just lying around, making it unfair for them while if no-one would have done the test it would be fair for them too ;)

Is it just me or does F1 feel more like a soap opera lol. Mercedes is clearly in violation here. Monaco was a snoozefest. How that track is considered a 'jewel' of the F1 calendar I don't know. Yeah it's fun to drive especially the last sector but damn that's a train of a race.

And I understand saving the tires and what not but I agree 10000% with Vettel's comments about the Merc cars were buses at front. I stopped watching the race after a few laps.

but I agree 10000% with Vettel's comments about the Merc cars were buses at front.

And who's fault was that? rosbergs pace was dictated by vettels if vettel would of upped his pace rosberg would of had to too.

It's easy to say that everyone had to drive within their tyres, but Rosberg was not the one who set the pace.

He led the race comfortably and he let the guy who was following him set the pace - whether it was his team-mate Lewis Hamilton or Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel - and Rosberg did enough to be ahead.
ps: Gary Anderson

What bullshit is this! Is that why he made the fastest lap at the end...such a stupid kid! I am starting to dislike Vettel to be honest...

Yep I don't recall Vettel putting Rosberg under pressure at any time in the race frankly, and after the first lap he was barely close to Hamilton. After both Red Bulls got a lucky break under the SC it was Hamilton who was all over Webber.

Perhaps Vettel didn't want to do a Perez and get 18 points instead. It's not like overtaking is easy in Monaco, so I don't really understand the point about Rosberg not setting the pace. What's the point of raging behind the leader if in all likeliness it won't lead to anything good.

Sutil proved that you can gain places without crashing, as did Di Resta and that certain Finn on the last lap. His name eludes me now.. Kaotik you know who I am talking about? ;)

So Vettel played it safe then complains... don't think he has a right to complain if he didn't try to do something about the status quo.

Great article here on why Lewis is being beaten by his team mate currently:

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1...e-brakes-on-Lewis-Hamilton-at-Mercedes-so-far

Hamilton prefers the combination of stopping power and pedal feel of the Carbone Industrie discs over those of the more common Brembos. The Brembos are said to give more feedback through the pedal, allowing easier modulation. But Lewis found at McLaren that with the right size and design of brake master cylinder, he could get the modulation he needs together with the higher braking power of the Carbone Industrie discs. He has been struggling to get that same combination at Mercedes. Since the start of the season the team has been trying to give him that elusive combination with redesigns of the brake cylinders, but to date it has not worked for him. Rosberg has remained on the standard Brembo caliper/Brembo disc combination and is quite happy with it.

Normally, higher braking power would generate more heat - and that has been the pattern in the Hamilton/Rosberg comparison at most tracks. That heat tends to transfer itself through the wheel rims to the tyres and at tracks where thermal degradation of the front tyre is the generic limitation, this would give Hamilton higher tyre deg than Rosberg.

Sutil proved that you can gain places without crashing, as did Di Resta and that certain Finn on the last lap. His name eludes me now.. Kaotik you know who I am talking about? ;)

So Vettel played it safe then complains... don't think he has a right to complain if he didn't try to do something about the status quo.

Or maybe it's easier to hear his words as complaints if he annoys you to begin with? He merely stated a fact, didn't seem too upset about it and even said it was a good strategy.

It's easier and wiser to take bigger risks when you are playing for less marbles or have less to begin. Kimi had a huge tire advantage at that point and was fighting to even get point(s).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back