NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOWW 8gb GDDR5. I certainly did not see that one coming but consider me mightily impressed. I was always going to get this console day one but now I really can't wait. Kudos to them, nice presentation.

If they have multiple sku can avoid the first one and go from start with the powerful one, who knows..
Even the 8gb gddr5 was barely unbelievable..

Better to wait and look at ms vs sony battle

Come there is no different sku with different hardware,i guess is about time people stop with this,the PS4 seem to be a little more powerful so what.

The only advantage Durango had which was more ram,was basically kill today both will have the same amount of ram,but the PS4 will be more straight forward hardware and have faster bandwidth.

And i don't think MS will use GDDR5,durango has 32MB of ESRAM and DME for a reason,to help with its bandwidth problems.

I think on the gaming power front it's probably time we just accept that the PS4 will be clearly the more powerful console. It's also a lot slicker than I was expecting in terms of the services it's offering.

That said I still think MS has a few aces up it's sleeve between Kinect 2 and the voice features though. We'll have to wait and see how they market it.

Come there is no different sku with different hardware,i guess is about time people stop with this,the PS4 seem to be a little more powerful so what.

The only advantage Durango had which was more ram,was basically kill today both will have the same amount of ram,but the PS4 will be more straight forward hardware and have faster bandwidth.

And i don't think MS will use GDDR5,durango has 32MB of ESRAM and DME for a reason,to help with its bandwidth problems.

PS4 probably will have at least 1.5 gigs more to use for games.
It's a big victory for the PS4.

But what if the 720 is $100 cheaper and most people don't see a difference in games? Is it then still a win for Sony?

But what if the 720 is $100 cheaper and most people don't see a difference in games? Is it then still a win for Sony?

Nah ... why spend even 100 less on an underpowered machine .
And the difference in games will be there , day one , and will be BIG.

Last edited by a moderator:
Note to self: Do not go the Verge for tech specs.
Each PS4 will contain a 3D camera to track the various controllers using the bar. The PS4 contains 8 CPU cores, providing almost 2 teraflops of computational performance. The power allows for 30,000 polygons to be rendered in real time (by way of comparison, Heavy Rain on the PS3 utilized 15,000).
HOLY CRAP 30,000 POLYGONS

If MS do end up going with going with DDR3, Sony are surely going to be the single largest consumer of GDDR5 memory in the business. So by doubling the amount of memory in retail PS4s, and assuming they sell well enough, will that be enough to help drive down the cost of GDDR5 over the life of the console to the point that actually doubling the RAM is not as costly as might first be thought or will it have little to no impact?

OK, so we get confirmation of 8gb DDR5. Very impressive! However, I thought it wasn't trivial to change from 4gb because of the memory controller? Can anybody explain to me in not-so technical language how they were able to do this? Or did they always have 8gb & we were just fed out-of-date specs?

Tommy McClain

No, I think they changed them fairly recently - otherwise vgleaks, DaE and DF would have known.

The way the announced the 8GB at the event also ties in with this.

I'm guessing most of the devs were still working to specs of 4GB.

I still think that the weakness in Durango, when compared to the ps4 is the extra GPU FLOPS and not the RAM size or type.

Nope. Ram amount is #1.

Orbis has a huge leg up on the Durango because of 1.5-2 more GB of usuable ram.

Proelite, what happened - I thought all the specs for Durango were old and the final GPU is actually 7970 equivalent?

Now you're saying the situation 'might still be salvageable'?

I have too much crow in my mouth to reply when it comes to the ram. The GPU is still really good though.

Nope. Ram amount is #1.

Orbis has a huge leg up on the Durango because of 1.5-2 more GB of usuable ram.

They have exactly the same RAM, assuming rumors are true. It remains to be seen how much each OS uses, past experiences shed poor light on Sony for eating up too much RAM for OS though, rather than MS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back