NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree on that, actually what concerns me is on the CPU side and how much resources respectively Sony and MSFT lock down for OS/etc.. It is way either to adapt the graphic workload (basically the system being close it is "just" a matter of toying with resolution) than the "rest".

Not only CPU resources dedicated to the OS, but cpu/gpu resources dedicated to kinect 2.0...

Both of which would indicate that MS should have aimed *higher* than Sony, not lower.

"But they don't know what Sony was working on blah blah", well if that's the case, just aim as high as your budget allows which is, eh ... around 250mm2 gpu and 200mm2 cpu.

This same silicon budget was used to launch a $300 console in 2005. Pretty sure with the additional revenue streams of xblg and a successful xb360 ecosystem, they could afford to budget the same this time.

Instead, we got a 120mm2 gpu and a ~80mm2? cpu

Granted, we don't have an official unveil by Sony & MS, but we do have leaks which have been "confirmed" by devs.

Until this info is deemed inaccurate, it's the best we have to go off of.

Also side-note, none of the info presented has been reacted to with a sense of discrediting by those in the know which leads me to believe it's either 100% accurate, or close enough to make educated guesses about the future of both platforms.

None of this leaked information will ever be deemed inaccurate. Whats the famous PR line, "We don't comment on rumors or speculation".

Not only CPU resources dedicated to the OS, but cpu/gpu resources dedicated to kinect 2.0...

Both of which would indicate that MS should have aimed *higher* than Sony, not lower.

"But they don't know what Sony was working on blah blah", well if that's the case, just aim as high as your budget allows which is, eh ... around 250mm2 gpu and 200mm2 cpu.

This same silicon budget was used to launch a $300 console in 2005. Pretty sure with the additional revenue streams of xblg and a successful xb360 ecosystem, they could afford to budget the same this time.

I do not agree with that part, at all. It is a matter for me of foremost price. Being in different price bracket should make sure most people (who care more about money than whatever DF or others say) do not look at the products as "equal". I mean people don't expect their 20000$ car to be as good as the 30000$ one, and that hold true for pretty much everything.

I'm willing to see MSFT business plan for the system, I'm really, if not extremely, curious about it.

Dont forget the graphics/specs winner never won the generation if i have to believe a lot of folks.

Consider another fact, the only time a console leader/juggernaut launched next to (at the same time as) another console leader/juggernaut was PS1 vs Saturn.

Did the weaker console win that gen? ;)

Dont forget the graphics/specs winner never won the generation if i have to believe a lot of folks.

Nah... sometimes it's because the second team want to find some way to outgun the leader, so they put in more effort. If they do well in other important areas, it should be possible to lead, or at least hold your own.

I do not agree with that part, at all. It is a matter for me of foremost price. Being in different price bracket should make sure most people (who care more about money than whatever DF or others say) do not look at the products as "equal". I mean people don't expect their 20000$ car to be as good as the 30000$ one, and that hold true for pretty much everything.

I'm willing to see MSFT business plan for the system, I'm really, if not extremely, curious about it.

See Dreamcast and Gamecube sales results for price advantage and how that helps a console's sales...

Maybe big profit right out of the box was a major point for them? Just by going off of 360 momentum alone I'm sure they can sell a few dozen million Durangos. I think this was the Wii U plan in essence but it was way too late and their momentum was gone.

Like I've said before here, if it gets hairy for them and being lower powered is having a negative effect then they can do a refresh and release a more powerful Xbox 3.1 for similar profit margins or less.

Maybe big profit right out of the box was a major point for them? Just by going off of 360 momentum alone I'm sure they can sell a few dozen million Durangos. I think this was the Wii U plan in essence but it was way too late and their momentum was gone.

Like I've said before here, if it gets hairy for them and being lower powered is having a negative effect then they can do a refresh and release Xbox 3.1 for similar profit margins or less.

Sure, but it could be too late by then.

Momentum is a funny thing, and being the "it" console is a tough thing to shake, even with better hardware (see late xbox vs ps2)

Momentum is a funny thing, and being the "it" console is a tough thing to shake, even with better hardware (see late xbox vs ps2)
Definitely, once the ball gets rolling...

Though I don't think that specs are everything though I'm not confident in MSFT choices (or what they could be we still don't know) either though.

Too late in what sense? In being number one in units sold I guess? Maybe so, but nothing will be sold at a loss anymore at least. A few billion in the bank and a loyal (or trapped :)) following of subscribers might not be so bad.

The question a lot of people ask is "which one is better". I've heard that question in game stores more than any other (by far). No one wants to know they bought an inferior product. Now, back to the tech. :)

The question a lot of people ask is "which one is better". I've heard that question in game stores more than any other (by far). No one wants to know they bought an inferior product. Now, back to the tech. :)

And yet the kindle fire is outselling other Android tablets. Price is definitely a big deal in purchase decisions especially on hardware that most people don't even understand.

And yet the kindle fire is outselling other Android tablets. Price is definitely a big deal in purchase decisions especially on hardware that most people don't even understand.

And, bananas are outselling kiwis. People don't view those as the same, either. Different situation. Can we get back to the tech?

And, bananas are outselling kiwis. People don't view those as the same, either. Different situation. Can we get back to the tech?

You don't get to create your own conditions for what people care about. It doesn't work that way. The most asked question in a store is probably something like 'does it play that game he likes?'

...A few billion in the bank and a loyal (or trapped :)) following of subscribers might not be so bad.

That's the thing, nothing is guaranteed wrt xblg subscribers...

If durango disappoints, that leaves the door wide open for Sony and PSN. Then the transfer of "loyal subscribers" has already taken place.

This is especially problematic if there is no BC.

The only shot MS would have with such a strategy is to announce Durango while at the same time, announce "DurangoPlus coming in 2014". This would at least invite a wait and see attitude and perhaps hold xblg subs on xb360 until the bigger/better box is available.

You don't get to create your own conditions for what people care about. It doesn't work that way. The most asked question in a store is probably something like 'does it play that game he likes?'

Perhaps, but at launch, the far more likely question is: "is this the new X?".

This was certainly the case with ps2 as the launch software sucked and was not the reason people walked in the store in the first place.

PCs and Macs share pretty much the same feature set and even SKU parts (ok, different build quality), but they behave differently and are perceived differently. TCRs aside, games can look the same or wildly different on both platforms just because the devs can.

I hear that. My T42 running ubuntu lasted over a decade, till I spilled a glass of water all over it. My brand new macbook pro has had nothing but problems with the battery recharging, and the headphone jack never letting the system speakers play, both completely solveable via software.

It may be obvious which of these console system seems more powerful, at least based on these leaks, but at the end of the day it's software that really matters.

Let's not forget the Wii:U is still in contention (though it's a bad example of lots of software atm), and its hardware is far less powerful than both Orbis and Durango.

This isn't the ps2, there will be much cheaper blu-ray players available.

Yup, the only thing to move systems this gen is the games and online features it may introduce. Blu ray players are cheap, and apple tv and roku can handle the streaming features on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back