NGGP: NextGen Garbage Pile (aka: No one reads the topics or stays on topic) *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Nintendo fanboys?

This thread is so biased. Everybody knows Nintendo put double super secret sauce in the Wuu that will only be revealed this fall to embarass M$ and $ony.

This thread is so biased. Everybody knows Nintendo put double super secret sauce in the Wuu that will only be revealed this fall to embarass M$ and $ony.

But MS also put super secret sauce in Xbox! Fall will be a battle of secret sauces? :smile:

It's because this thread is about next gen :p

Posted in the other thread regarding durango but I thought it would add some spice to this one, as well:

Here is the real special sauce guys... Outside of the DMEs and the display plane scalers, there is a monster FPGA, just like I inferred there would be in one of my recent posts:

"[0087] The shared special processor 550 may provide extra computing resources. Some examples of processing for which the special processor 550 may assist are audio and video processing, sensor processing, and image data processing. Other than the shared special processor 550, the other illustrated I/O controllers are examples of resources in the platform services partition which the multimedia application access through a software virtualization interface 328 (e.g. API). Some of these resources are for shared hardware devices that have little performance impact such as user input and output device (e.g. game controllers, keyboards, pointing devices). Either they are lower bandwidth, or the current required latencies (to meet user experience requirements) are very long, or they have inherent retry capability. Other examples of these types of hardware devices which are not time critical include, but are not limited to: Ethernet, WiFi, SATA (both ODD and HDD), high-density mass-storage flash, USB (for many device types), etc. "

Read more: http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/2012...#ixzz2JcgCTGy1
Image: http://www.faqs.org/patents/imgfull/20120159090_09

Has anyone bothered to take what we have of the rumors and then ran it past the rendering pipeline and then also considered what parts visually benefit the most from improved performance?

e.g. having 30x more triangle throughput may be nice on paper if your competition only has 10x, but what impact does that have on the final image.

I will toss this out: post processing seems to be an area where major, major wins can be had on game visuals imo. More so than the incremental differences in texture resolution, poly budgets, etc that are being discussed. Just my opinion.

Ps- It is also my opinion we don't know enough about the *final* specs and the architecture to say much as this point. A lot of you are arguing over details secured on shifting sand.

If tessellation features heavily in the next generation of games that could prove to offer a noticeable visual difference. Extra triangle throughput and setup could also mean that a developer wouldn't have to optimize their tessellation meshes as much to maintain decent performance.

Of course, parallel occlusion mapping and other techniques can simulate some of that, but it's not as convincing when viewed off angle or close up.

And once you see well done tessellation, it's difficult to be satisfied with flat textures again. Crysis 2 spoiled me in that respect with the Dx11 patch, even though it was unoptimized with excessive triangles on surfaces that didn't need it. I've since lost interest in playing a lot of games just due to the fact that the entire world just feels so flat now. I've only played one game on my X360 in the past 1 - 1.5 years just because I can't stand the sight of flat textures on walls, ground, etc.

It can also be used to make better curved surfaces, but displacement mapping is the big one for me. And the one thing that just makes anything that doesn't use it seem flat and boring.

Regards,
SB

Ummm, that hypothetical design already has 2 cpus and 2 gpus. And you are trying to claim it needs another additional chip to support computation...

Don't forget dedicated hardware for rendering finger nails. (A hard problem to solve on modern graphics hardware)

I think we can all agree that the Sega Saturn proved definitively that more chips=victory.

Ummm, that hypothetical design already has 2 cpus and 2 gpus. And you are trying to claim it needs another additional chip to support computation...

If the machine is meant as a streaming box it would need to compete against the TDP of devices like AppleTV at around 2 Watt. I would assume they have some low power ARM/GPU there to handle 1080p streaming and the low duty stuff. Nothing which I would see as a benefit to the gaming experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back