Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes

Most full games feel like they are dragging on and on and on with useless missions and content to increase the length. What makes Kojimas games so awesone is that every minute of his games feel so rich. The experience has quality and the freedom of experimentation offers flexible duration as a replacement of pointless quantity. MGS games are some of the rare gems that I replayed multiple time and wasted hours in a single section just experimenting with the possibilities

Just one question. GZ has some exclusive content for PP. If I get for example the PS3 version would I be able to use that content on the PS4 version of PP?

One thing to note on game length:

Infamous: Second Son is a game that costs 60 dollars and took me about 12 hours on first playthrough, 7 hours second playthrough, and another ~2 hours of fiddling to get platinum trophy. You can say I completely finished it in ~ 20 hours.

MGS Ground Zeroes took me ~ 30 hours to completely finish all the trial records, as well as getting all trophies. That cost me 30 Dollars. In fact, the main amount of fun occurred when I was scratching my head on how to complete the various trial records (especially the no weapons runs)

So in fact, Ground Zeroes gave me 1 hour per dollar, while Infamous gave me 20 minutes per dollar, timing both games at total completion.

Anybody stating that Ground Zeroes is too short really needs to look past getting 10% completion on the game and trying to find out how to complete the various challenges (and finding easter eggs)

Still find playing this most fun. Value for Money debate is meaningless in this case. Theres plenty in there if u actually want to have fun.

Is it me or this game seriously lacks AO?

AO is a hack, the VFX industry has pretty much dropped it years ago.
It's been replaced by proper global illumination and area light shadows, using raytracing (Arnold) or various point cloud based techniques (for Renderman).

For games however, it may remain to be a viable shortcut for a while.
After all, the VFX studios have huge renderfarms to compute the images, and going all-in raytracing or using precomputed point clouds allows for a lot of re-use. I don't really see an opportunity to solve the bounce lighting + shadows stuff with a single tech in real time, but then again someone might be able to come up with a unified approach. For now, GI and AO and soft shadows and such are all approximated using many different shortcuts.

AO is a hack, the VFX industry has pretty much dropped it years ago.
It's been replaced by proper global illumination and area light shadows, using raytracing (Arnold) or various point cloud based techniques (for Renderman).

For games however, it may remain to be a viable shortcut for a while.
After all, the VFX studios have huge renderfarms to compute the images, and going all-in raytracing or using precomputed point clouds allows for a lot of re-use. I don't really see an opportunity to solve the bounce lighting + shadows stuff with a single tech in real time, but then again someone might be able to come up with a unified approach. For now, GI and AO and soft shadows and such are all approximated using many different shortcuts.

Sure, my point was that lighting is too flat. Even a "crease shader", as Ready at Down calls SSAO, is better than no soft shadowing at all.

Though it seems they do use SSAO during cutscenes at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished the game at 88 minutes. I think I was "lucky" with my playtime because I kinda took my time.

Dead 4 times.
2 times I shoot myself with the Bazooka :LOL:

I plan to play more of it (hard mode, secondary missions), possibilities of gameplay are impressive indeed. Hyped for Phantom Pain.

Disappointed by the story and the final cutscene which could have been another 30mn of gameplay, as the cutscenes are realtime, they had the assets, they could then have done it easily but Kojima does like his cutscenes...

Finished the game in 90min, really don't think it's worth the money. Just way too short, control felt awkward, graphics looked sub par and did I mention it's short? Phantom Pain better be long enough to redeem my money back.

I thought the game have AO in gameplay, I notice some objects in distance has black haze around all the edges in a distance as you walk in close they disappear. Thought they might be using some low quality AO and try to hide them up close by fading them out.

Disappointed by the story and the final cutscene which could have been another 30mn of gameplay, as the cutscenes are realtime, they had the assets, they could then have done it easily but Kojima does like his cutscenes...

Absolutely in agreement

I was kind of shocked that the last cutscene was full of gunplay, which would of been a terrific way to end the game if it had been gameplay.

You did all the missions in 90 mins? Impressive!

Nar, just the main mission but still, I don't like the idea of breaking side missions apart from the main one and only to unlock them afterwards. They're probably trying to make it like you're getting more for the money but really that's not how it works. But at least Phantom Pain sounds interesting enough, hope that gets released soon.

hi guys, i borrowed my friend's PS3 and MGS GZ....
this game have no tutorial? aftert the lenghty cutscene they just throw me out to battle.

normally other game will tell me PRESS FORWARD to go FORWARD, etc.
and the option screen... wow. I cant imagine what Kojima-san will put on PC version (If its released).

EDIT

Just finished the main mission in about 1 hour, what the...
one of the most exiting moment was only -cutscene- that i cant participate at all.

Took me two hours 20 mins for the main mission. Still playing the other missions and actually finding them more "fun" !

Same, my favourite was the first side-op mission :)

Absolutely impressed with this game, the gameplay is unmatched in the stealth genre, and it plays wonderfully.

My only hope now is that Phantom Pain will be exclusively next-gen. Then we will really see all those next-gen bells and whistles :)

P.S. I invited you to a Mercenary Kings group Renegade, maybe we can get some games of that going :)

Hi guys, wanna ask. When i saw the first-ever demo of this game, there was a hot girl in this game. Could you all tell me where does she appear in the game? I like that character a lot (because she looks so hot). Could you tell me what scenes in this game that involves her, not the gameplay, but the cut scenes.. Thanks

Back