Kishonti GFXbench

Taking into consideration the GLBenchmark 2.5 results that were revealed for the new iPad in TI's OMAP5 promo video (which might've been using a slightly earlier, beta version of GLBench 2.5 compared to the version just released for Android) and some of my own testing with a Galaxy Nexus, PowerVR's SGX performs comparatively better, as predicted, than other architectures under the added graphics detail of GLBench 2.5 over 2.1.

I'd guess the higher effective fill rate of PowerVR is playing a significant part considering the bump to 1080p, yet GLBench 2.5 also enhanced several other aspects of the graphics over 2.1 which should theoretically play to PowerVR's strengths.

Yea but changing uarch is a time consuming costly business is it not?...by the sounds of it it's only bringing 10-15% better performance.

Yea but changing uarch is a time consuming costly business is it not?...by the sounds of it it's only bringing 10-15% better performance.

I think its a cheaper and more logical solution than being beaten in performance by Cortex A15 and not being able to compete until the next generation is ready.

10-15% better performance should allow them to stay competitive while they work on a new architecture.

The biggest advantage Qualcomm has gotten out of their ISA license is getting to market earlier with a next generation part, helping them to secure important design win momentum.

That One X listing which ranked at the top of the 2.5 results is far from stock... lots of different software modifications to the environment, at least... EDIT: Scratch that. The environment listings just compile all the data from all of the different runs, and the One X has been released in different flavors of processors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shocked to see tegra 3 thrashing exynos..
Those results are for the Adreno 225-based One X, I tested the HTC One S and got a score very close to that. The reason why Adreno is doing so well in GLB2.5 is that it's a much more ALU-heavy benchmark than GLB2.1 and that has always been Adreno's strength. For Tegra you should be looking at the Transformer scores which are accurate.

As for Exynos, it's easy to figure out that it's heavily vertex shader limited, and that's despite Kishonti implementing lots of things to remove unnecessary geometry (portal culling, reflection LODs, etc.) - it was much worse in some earlier benchmark versions.
Lazy8s said:
Taking into consideration the GLBenchmark 2.5 results that were revealed for the new iPad in TI's OMAP5 promo video (which might've been using a slightly earlier, beta version of GLBench 2.5 compared to the version just released for Android)
That demo was a version for Mobile World Congress, you should ignore the results completely - there have been about a gazillion new builds since then.
and some of my own testing with a Galaxy Nexus
I'm curious, which ones are these? The result that seems correct for the Nexus is 573 for 1080p Offscreen, which is pretty good for a GPU with less than 5GFlops of ALU performance, but if you're impressed by that then SGX-XT will blow your mind :) I only tested on an ICS Nexus on Friday, but JB shouldn't make a huge difference.

PowerVR's SGX performs comparatively better, as predicted, than other architectures under the added graphics detail of GLBench 2.5 over 2.1.
It certainly does, although TBDR only plays a small part in it as Kishonti are doing fairly aggressive front-to-back sorting combined with portal culling (it's clearly still an advantage as there's still a bit of overdraw plus we have faster depth testing than anybody else, but it's not the main factor). SGX is perfectly capable of beating everyone else even in that kind of scenario ;)

The main reasons are that we're very fast in high geometry workloads (how ironic given some of the marketing fud against us) and that we're very fast in all of the vertex and pixel shaders in terms of cycle count and real-world performance.

Thanks arun.

So maybe the adreno 225 is a better allround gpu than tegra ulv and mali 400 mp4?...

Just early benchmarks favoured certain scenarios that fixed function shaders could excel at.

Some of the Galaxy Nexus scores on the site are from my uploads. And I was impressed in a relative context (how it was at least somewhat more competitive in 2.5 vs 2.1), not an absolute context where the larger GPUs obviously overpower it. I've got an iPad 2, so I know Series 5XT MP can step quite a bit higher in performance!

Yeah, Jelly Bean doesn't change much when it comes to benchmarks. It has done wonders for the smoothness of the UI, as intended, though.

I was wondering...what does jelly bean do to battery life? As I read some of the optimizations up clock frequency when touching the screen...

So maybe the adreno 225 is a better allround gpu than tegra ulv and mali 400 mp4?...

Just early benchmarks favoured certain scenarios that fixed function shaders could excel at.
I'm not sure I'd say that. It's not fixed-function vs ALUs, it's texture-heavy vs arithmetic-heavy. Most real games on the Android market are more texture-heavy than GLB2.5 so the Adreno 225 wouldn't have as much of an advantage.

But more importantly, the biggest problem with Adreno in my mind is that their performance drops off a cliff much more easily when the developer does something wrong. The early versions of GLBenchmark 2.5 did a few things wrong with their vertex buffers and framebufer objects and their relative performance was the worst of anyone before Kishonti fixed it. This is partially driver issues probably, but also their entire tiling architecture which is very fragile - I can imagine that's one of the reasons they added an IMR mode to Adreno 320. Even if it's faster for them, that doesn't necessarily mean IMR would be faster for anyone else.

Yea still don't know what to make of the 320...it looks like it should have come sooner than now.

It gets trashed by a iPad 3 in gl 2.1 so I would like to see some 2.5 results before passing judgement....also iPad 3 carries some funky quad channel memory bandwidth to play with vs the standard dual channel set up of the mdp platform.

That platform supports lpddr3 when it becomes available? Which would equal the bandwidth and maybe lower the latency as well?.

Certainly apple a6 is going to rip it a new one. :)

It gets trashed by a iPad 3 in gl 2.1

but isn't that due to the comparable low fillrate? 732 MTexels (according to anandtech) seems to point to 366MHz x 2 TMU's or 183 MHz x 4 TMU's.

Therefore I suspect that the Adreno 320 in the dev-tablet does not run at full speed yet.

That demo was a version for Mobile World Congress, you should ignore the results completely - there have been about a gazillion new builds since then.

That's all I need to read to make my day even further ;)

***edit: http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?D=Apple+iPad+3&benchmark=glpro25

49.0 fps

Isn't the iPad2 result low?

It certainly does, although TBDR only plays a small part in it as Kishonti are doing fairly aggressive front-to-back sorting combined with portal culling (it's clearly still an advantage as there's still a bit of overdraw plus we have faster depth testing than anybody else, but it's not the main factor). SGX is perfectly capable of beating everyone else even in that kind of scenario ;)

The main reasons are that we're very fast in high geometry workloads (how ironic given some of the marketing fud against us) and that we're very fast in all of the vertex and pixel shaders in terms of cycle count and real-world performance.
:LOL:

but isn't that due to the comparable low fillrate? 732 MTexels (according to anandtech) seems to point to 366MHz x 2 TMU's or 183 MHz x 4 TMU's.

Therefore I suspect that the Adreno 320 in the dev-tablet does not run at full speed yet.

I hope so...well the last mdp was actually realistic performance for a smartphone....so maybe as Qualcomm knows this is going into a smartphone and not just a tablet that they have clocked it for a realistic smartphone performance?

Certainly when lpddr3 gets loaded into it that would help the 1080p results on 2.5.

Also take into consideration the crap drivers Qualcomm has previously shipped and the likely sensitivity of adreno uarch to such things...
As arun suggested.

Adreno320 should have 4 TMUs or better probably 1 TMU/cluster. Since when do GLBenchmark2.1 fillrate results reflect the actual theoretical peak fillrate on IMRs anyway? Yes the 543MP4@250MHz gives almost 2.0 GTexels/s for 8 TMUs but that's a TBDR and I've seen that phenomenon in 2.1 fillrate results only on IMG's cores.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/phonedet...sung+GT-I9300+Galaxy+S+III&testgroup=lowlevel

The Mali400MP4 in the S3 should be clocked at 440MHz, for 4 TMUs it gives you a theoretical peak of 1760 MTexels, despite it giving almost 790 MTexels in the warm-up fill test.

It's likelier that the Adreno320 is clocked at around 400MHz than anything else and yes that with 4 TMUs.

Adreno320 should have 4 TMUs or better probably 1 TMU/cluster. Since when do GLBenchmark2.1 fillrate results reflect the actual theoretical peak fillrate on IMRs anyway?

Ah..Ok. I had only compared the Adreno 320 score with the SGX scores.

This is all well and good, but IMO the benchmarks used for comparing different mobile GPU's/CPU's are truly lacking compared to benchmarks used for comparing different desktop/notebook GPU's/CPU's. Imagine if month after month, the only benchmarks used for comparing desktop systems was 3dmark. It would be nice to see a wider variety of real world benchmarks to compare and contrast mobile GPU/CPU performance.

Back