Windows phone 8

Just went to BB and played with the Lumia 900, Galaxy S3, and Note. The Lumia was CLEARLY smoother than the other two. Note was pretty good, S3 was surprisingly laggy (maybe people had been playing with it more and installed extra software?). Hopefully Sammy release a Note w/ Win 8 - I'm getting one if they do!

WP UI is incredibly smooth but its also slightly misleading. Its by far the slowest when it comes to launching third party apps

To keep a lot of even the basic tasks resident in memory for quickest operation, a surprisingly large amount of RAM would be required due to all the data that gets stored with contacts, SMS, MMS, etc. these days: hundreds of Facebook friends, profile pic for many contacts, video/image included in a message.

That's not to say that mobile OS designers couldn't do a much better job of managing memory for the truly important data, leading to almost instantaneous response for common tasks.

WP UI is incredibly smooth but its also slightly misleading. Its by far the slowest when it comes to launching third party apps

how so ?

I can get to all my just as fast as my gf can and i'm on the arrive and she is on the epic.

how so ?

I can get to all my just as fast as my gf can and i'm on the arrive and she is on the epic.

Because of the platforms hardware limitations. Your phone and your gfs are essentially running the same hardware (Cortex A8 with 512 mb ram). Given that, im actually surprised yours is not drastically faster considering the difference in multitasking and background APIs between the two OS:es

But the original poster was comparing a Lumia 900 (2012 product) versus a Galaxy S3 (2012 product). The difference in launching apps like facebook and whatsapp are like night and day even if the Lumia is faster in the UI

Sure looks it
Sure, the result wasn’t surprising. The Galaxy S3 beat out the Lumia 900 is most of the tests (by bigger margins too, compared to when the Lumia 900 won)

Also keep in mind, whilst both are their respective topline phones ones is running at 1280x720 and the others running at 800x480
i.e. 2.4x the number of pixels its drawing!
So WRT framerates its not a fair comparison

Im guessing if you can somehow degrade the s3 resolution to 40% of what it is now, it will certainly feel a lot more 'snappy' :D

The only night and day difference was the WP7 sitting there twiddling its thumbs while the guy manually closed out apps on the S3 and brought up start options for things already sitting on the WP7 start screen to make the startup tests "fair".

There's lots I dislike about WP7 but seeing the S3 barely surpass (and in some cases fail to mach) the user experience provided by my 18 month old, 1 gHz WP7 gave me a bit of a chuckle.

I've just run some of the same tests as that video on my LG E900, in sync with the video.

My LG E900 WP7 boots up about 5 seconds faster than the Lumia 900 or S3 despite its 1 gHz CPU. The camera starts faster than the Lumia 900 too, and about as fast as the S3. The camera is shit, but that's a separate issue to how fast it loads.

I picked the E900 because in the direct comparisons I saw on youtube it loaded stuff much faster than other phones, which was put down to it not using an internal SD card but fast flash directly on the mobo.

I don't really understand the comparison that's trying to be made here, where two (randomly chosen?) phones are put to the rest running completely different codes.

I don't really understand the comparison that's trying to be made here, where two (randomly chosen?) phones are put to the rest running completely different codes.

It's pretty simple mate, wp runs nearly as fast and in some cases faster than android running vastly more powerfull processors ram and gpu.

It's pretty simple mate, wp runs nearly as fast and in some cases faster than android running vastly more powerfull processors ram and gpu.
But running different codes, like I said (with different Wi-Fi and/or cellular, since all tests I saw used the network).

It seems fundamentally flawed as a comparison. Two Androids or two WP7s maybe, but the cross OS comparison is a bit nuts. You've also no idea if the apps are single or multi-threaded. I could go on and on.

Yeah, it's an attempt to compare the user experience of the current "top end" WP7 and Android phones.

What surprises me is that there are areas where my old LG WP7 is noticeably faster at loading stuff than the Lumia 900 in the test (and the S3 for that matter). Falls behind on the web browser of course, but considering that it's 2 years old in November it shows just how well WP7 has aged.

Kind of a shame that no-one gave a damn about it really.

But running different codes, like I said (with different Wi-Fi and/or cellular, since all tests I saw used the network).

It seems fundamentally flawed as a comparison. Two Androids or two WP7s maybe, but the cross OS comparison is a bit nuts. You've also no idea if the apps are single or multi-threaded. I could go on and on.

Yes but in that case we would not be able to compare any phone that wasn't running the same operating system...which would be daft if you were looking to fork out the best part of £500 quid now wouldn't it...it proves that android is a inefficient bloated dog of an operating system...like I said needing the hardware equivalent of a pc to run windows 7...on a phone.

Back