IS this a reliable SSD?

you cant go wrong any of these, Corsair Performance Pro, Crucial M4, Intel 520, Plextor M3/P and Samsung 830.. i would stay away anything by OCZ, they even managed to screw up marvell controller by their vertex4s..

It's fairly well known that the Vertex 2 and 3 were not reliable.
That's still just internet anecdotes, and hence, pretty much worthless as an indicator of reliability. For every bigmouth screaming on a forum about how crummy his drive is, there could easily be 100 or 1000 people out there who have no problems whatsoever, and hence, do not post about it.

It's fairly well-known that people post far more when they have problems, than when they don't have problems... :p

OCZ undoubtedly had more complaints than most, particularly early on. I have SSDs from Intel, Samsung and Crucial, but not OCZ, as a result. Of these the Samsung is the fastest with the best software for Windows.

That's still just internet anecdotes, and hence, pretty much worthless as an indicator of reliability. For every bigmouth screaming on a forum about how crummy his drive is, there could easily be 100 or 1000 people out there who have no problems whatsoever, and hence, do not post about it.

It's fairly well-known that people post far more when they have problems, than when they don't have problems... :p

OCZ is a piece of shit company that needs to die.

And not just because of Vertex 1-3.

Their memory was infamously unreliable, their PCIE SSDs are buggy and slow, and Octane/Vertex 4's much hyped in-house designed controllers are actually rebadged Marvells. Liars and cheats.

OCZ undoubtedly had more complaints than most, particularly early on.
Sure, they were also amongst the first to hop on the SSD bandwagon. Since they're a small company (comparatively) they don't have the same budget and structures for quality control that Intel, Toshiba or Samsung do.

Speaking of Toshiba btw, what SSDs are Apple using these days in their Macbooks? Surely not the same Toshiba controller that's like...two years plus old by now?

Their memory was infamously unreliable
More internet anecdotes. Let me offer one in return: I use OCZ Platinum DDR3 DIMMs in my Nehalem box. All six slots of all three channels filled, 1600MHz 7/7/7/24 1T timings spec running at 1704MHz 7/7/7/20 1T. 100% stable.

You can barely find 1600MHz DIMMs with 7 cycle timings anymore, most I find are 9 cycles, or even more in some cases (I've seen as high as 11.) These DIMMs are awesome, as far as I'm concerned. The product design is really solid, nice-looking PCBs, good solder job etc. Nothing to complain about.

All that's needed is some fan action from the CPU cooler to keep the temps down, a dense bank of DIMMs like that gets pretty hot otherwise. It didn't cause any crashes, but they were too hot to touch so I thought it unwise to let them stay that way. A 140mm downwards-blowing fan on the CPU heatsink took care of that issue though.

Octane/Vertex 4's much hyped in-house designed controllers are actually rebadged Marvells. Liars and cheats.
Yeah well, the Marvell controller was egg on OCZ's face, I dunno what was behind that really. I'm not saying nothing; as long as the damn thing works who really cares who designed it?

you have to back up and do your firmware updates, IMO. better to do that even with crappy hardware than buy a reputable SSD and not doing either : you could very well spend a lot on the latest Intel, forget about it, and then it dies on you and bites you in the ass :).

I have an OCZ Vertex 2E 120GB in my Lenovo Y460 that, according to the toolbox utility, has seen almost 1.5TB of writes. It has yet to dip into the reserve blocks, and it continues to post ~260mb/sec writes and reads without stutter or issue. It has been incredibly reliable and remained every bit as fast as when I first purchased it.

I have six OCZ Agility 3 240GB drives in a single RAID0 array on my desktop; each of those drives now shows almost 1TB of writes (me and my benchmarks, heh) and I'm having no issues with it either at >2GB/sec speeds.

I have little to compare it to but my first vertex 2e died within 6 months of very light use. It then cost me 20 euros to send the drive to Holland for service (I live in Spain) got a new one over a month later. IMHO piss poor drive and piss poor service. Not remotely scientific but my only experience with their drives.

Albuquerque and lefizz, both testimonials are anecdotal so not even close to conclusive. I don't know if anyone collects statistical data on these things (a high volume e/retailer for instance), but I think we've all run into brands that failed us that were great for someone else. Shrug.

I went with the brands I went with over OCZ simply because the many forum threads on OCZ were either "Best Ever" or "@#$*!" so Intel/Sammy/Crucial seemed less risky to me.

That and the fact that Newegg customer ratings for OCZ were lower.

IMO that's too much money for only 500GB even if you factor in the 5yr warranty.

Correct. Hard drive prices have gone up due to some flood or something in Thailand. I have no choice... not like I can set my own prices. And I need a computer now.

Find me a cheaper WD 500gb 7200rpm hard drive with sata 6.0gb and 32mb cache and I will be your friend.

Correct. Hard drive prices have gone up due to some flood or something in Thailand. I have no choice... not like I can set my own prices. And I need a computer now.

Find me a cheaper WD 500gb 7200rpm hard drive with sata 6.0gb and 32mb cache and I will be your friend.

I could find you a slightly more expensive one but it's 4 X the capacity as well so it would be way cheaper per GB. Since you were considering the SSD I'm assuming you're ok with spending $120? I just bought a 2TB 7200rpm SATAIII 64MB cache WD Green for $120 free shipping no tax from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VFJ9MK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

The 1TB model is $99 but do you seriously want to save $20 and lose a whole extra TB of capacity?:???:

Or you could get the 750GB model which is $86.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back