Impressive New Tech!!! Next gen controllers???

pc999

Veteran
:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Really impressive, I really want this on my PC/Linux to control my audio/video/image/production/editing software, but it would do woudors for gaming too.

Imagine this incorporated even in a traditional controller (like DS3 or WiiU tablet) where you could sometimes use one of your hands to do stuff.

http://www.facebook.com/LeapMotion

Last edited by a moderator:
What's so shocking? Seems just like a macro Kinect, targeting a space of 65x65x65cm close to the device rather than a whole living room. I'm sure MS could have whipped up something like this if they so decided.

Other than that, neat device, but I see huge limitations in the small field of view for day to day use. You'd have to be in a very particular spot for gesture control to work, and how about when you don't want them? Typing for instance (air-writing is fine for a precision demo, but would be serious pain for actual use). Would you have to put the box away to use a keyboard without it interfering?

Last edited by a moderator:
In comparison to kinetic:

1- It seems to actually work, and without latency (fast games)
2- It cost about 1/4 (acessible)
3- probably need much less processing power( acessible)
4- 200x as precise (more than goofing around unlike MS games)

Anyway this seems more to replace a mouse, complementary, it looks like it can do true wonders in production/editing software: photoshop, bendler, ableton live, lightworks...

Where is that from? What numbers are you comparing?

3- probably need much less processing power
Well that's kind of hard to determine at the moment...

That probably has a lot to do with the limited range...

That last bit even shows the dots (detecting the hands) in the virtual space, which would have to be spread out much farther for a living room, thus reduced accuracy.

That last bit even shows the dots (detecting the hands) in the virtual space, which would have to be spread out much farther for a living room, thus reduced accuracy.

Bingo!

It's not gonna work for me sat down on my couch some unknown number of meters away from my screen.

Not that Kinect does anyway.

Give me a controller or sensor-containing wand (e.g. Move/Wiimotion+) over either of them anyday.

Bingo!

It's not gonna work for me sat down on my couch some unknown number of meters away from my screen.

Not that Kinect does anyway.

Give me a controller or sensor-containing wand (e.g. Move/Wiimotion+) over either of them anyday.

just place the device on your coffee table

The writing part looked as accurate as the PS Move. A lot of the ofter stuff looked like the EyeToy, PS Eye, and Kinect could cover most of that functionality (with less speed).

Anyone know how this works? I couldn't find anything on the technology. I'm guessing its some kind of millimeter wave radar system?

In comparison to kinetic:

1- It seems to actually work, and without latency (fast games)
3- probably need much less processing power( acessible)

Anyway this seems more to replace a mouse, complementary, it looks like it can do true wonders in production/editing software: photoshop, bendler, ableton live, lightworks...

Yeah, seems well suited as a desktop thing for both games and productivity, or also in demo units / kiosks, where you don't have to get your hands dirty, which would be a huge plus. ;)

Button-less input is just gimmickry regardless of how it's implemented on a technical level; you can't have REAL computer games without buttons. Can't be done, end of story.

Casual shit, sure. But real games? No. This device - as interesting as it may be as a technical innovation and accomplishment - cannot take over as a default controller of a gaming console.

You should know that kinetic never costed that much. Are you joking?

Anyway this demo is quite good, it can get quite interesting results.

You are half right :D

Kinetic for XB360 - 150$
Kinetic for Windows - 250$ (slightly improved I think)

Button-less input is just gimmickry regardless of how it's implemented on a technical level; you can't have REAL computer games without buttons. Can't be done, end of story.

Casual shit, sure. But real games? No. This device - as interesting as it may be as a technical innovation and accomplishment - cannot take over as a default controller of a gaming console.

Yeah, but this particular case lends itself to hybrid use of mouse and this, or keyboard and this, quite well. It could even be integrated into keyboards.

cool tech, but how's this fit in with conventional consoles? Few consoles are played at the desk with a convienent place for the sensor.

Each unit creates an 8 cubic feet zone of interaction and they can be daisy chained together. You could quite easily surround your sofa and take part in virtual swimming session.

Back