Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

Wow, how are ppl levelling up so fast. Everyone seems to be level 20or above on my friend list. It took my whole evening going from level 7 to 9 !
I love the fact that the game is hard, one dies a lot. Loved the Strike on Earth. Took a lot of work to finish !
Seems like I am the only one on this forum who likes this much more than Borderlands. This is fun, that was monotonous to me. Also, love the loot in this one ! And very well balanced difficulty. Feels priceless in 3 player co-op !
I've been doing mostly story missions, a few bounties and a few patrol missions and I leveled up to 8 in like 3-4 hours.

I just did my first heroic strike. The difficulty level is not even in the same universe as any other strike I've done. Half of the enemies can one shot you, you can't one shot anything - even with sniper rifle rounds straight to the head. There are a lot more of them, and more than half are yellow instead of normal. Oh, and there is no timed revive. If your team mates can't get you, you stay dead.

It was a blast though. It actually required strategy (even if our strategy on servitor was huddle near the same place and blast stuff so that your team mates could revive you when you inevitably got one shot).

I am hoping that with a bit more equipment and practice they become a bit easier though.

The amount of fun that this game gives me is simply incredible. Gameplay and tough encounters are phenomenal. 10000x more engaging and tactical than Borderlands games. As long as you have friends who can play with you, this game is a must own.

And yeah, heroic weekly strike was very tough, but also very rewarding. Shame we can get those 3 coins from it just once per week.

How the hell do u defeat the boss on the Strike on Moon ?????
Its impossible !!

When you enter into Phogoth's chamber, go as far left as you can and hide/fight behind rocks where you will be safe from boss' beam.
http://a.pomf.se/hvtltp.png

Vast majority of the enemies will not even come to attack you [a lot of them will be on other side of the chamber and above you]. As for boss, aim for his stomach, that's his weak point.

I like to skip the battle because it become boring. This area again, this enemy again. In the other hand boss battle usually have different area and play style.

And I have found a good strategy to safely kill enemies that must be killed. Let 1 teammate Summon the enemy by placing ghost on objective while the other two camp far behind. Enemies force will be spread and they almost never chase you past a gate and always never chase past checkpoint.

This strategy also good for quickly finish mission on hard to get bonus experience after finishing it. Just skip most enemies :D

Why even play the game if this is the kind of thing you like to do? :???:

For many gamers it's the journey that is fun...not simply rushing through levels and skipping enemies to get to the end goal.

Also, you sound like the worst person to play with ;) Hiding away like a coward, using your teammates as bait and avoiding most of the combat and enemies.

+1...then again that's what most snipers do anyway...:LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why even play the game if this is the kind of thing you like to do? :???:
I'm reading into orangpelupa's posts my own sentiments. I really dislike the constant trivial encounters in MMOs with the perpetual respawning enemies, and will run past irrelevant encounters to get to where the main purpose of the quest is. If you take a game that's balanced for fun encounters, and then triple up (or worse) the amount of encounters, you end up overworking the gameplay and it's become dull and repetitious (to some of us ;)). In the Beta, I met the same group of four grunts in the same location in the map over and over, and killed them the same way with the same tactics. They offered no challenge and the fun of the shoot was replaced with monotony when it's exactly the same experience every time. Same with Final Fantasy X I played. After a while, the encounters were so mundane and formulaic, and yet so very, very numerous, they became an annoyance stopping progress. Other games in that style eventually gave the option to avoid encounters by running past, I believe.

And that's what orangpelupa and me and others do with the same tired gameplay in game if given the chance - run straight past and get to something new and interesting.

If there's no respawning then there's not much opportunity to level up which is one of the core features of Destiny and similar MMOs. Now take a situation where you have many people and not enough respawning enemies and it becomes "boring" as well. I guess it does get repetitive after awhile when you've leveled up to a point where the enemies in specific areas are easy to kill with no challenge or significant level up rewards but how would you design around that in a mult-player multilevel playing environment? You can't so you end up ignoring the "little guys" just to get to the big guys which is how the game is designed to work.

I'd like to see you design a better "balanced" gameplay environment...;)

Just beat it...

Overall I think it's pretty good. There's a lot of combat and it can get repetitive, but most of all that combat is good and fun. I also enjoy the leveling, getting better gear, and I love good old boss fights, and it has a lot of those.

I thought the visuals were pretty stellar too. Times I was pretty impressed, even though I dont know that it was true next gen, it kind of felt like it anyway.

Could have used some physically larger bosses though,. They never got honking huge. Just big.

When you enter into Phogoth's chamber, go as far left as you can and hide/fight behind rocks where you will be safe from boss' beam.
http://a.pomf.se/hvtltp.png

Vast majority of the enemies will not even come to attack you [a lot of them will be on other side of the chamber and above you]. As for boss, aim for his stomach, that's his weak point.

These strategies can be used most of the game actually. Many instances were enemies cant follow you and such, so just run backwards and stay far. Actually this applies to Halo and almost every FPS ever really. But once you go in and mix it up, and you will do that sooner or later, you can still die.

I swear I beat Phogoth and it did not correctly mark his bounty as completed though. It still shows me as not having that bounty even though I beat him, at least I 'm 99% that was his name and it was the level 12 moon strike boss.

When I saw I hadn't got the bounty, I just assumed you must have to go exploring in their and find some other hidden boss. Because I did not pay that much attention to the boss I beat's name, so I couldn't 1000% certain say it was Phogoth. But it was "Phogoth the untameable", right? Big Ogre guy? Bug I guess.

The next question in my mind is how much I'll come back to it. I imagine I'll go at least another week at puttering around in the game, beyond that dunno. I'm not huge into multiplayer so Crucible probably wont be for me.

As I said before it's funny to me how many strong influences this game has. At least 4 off the top of my head, Halo, Borderlands, Gears of War, and Star Wars. Especially Halo of course, so many things are right out of Halo's playbook. I think the combat honestly feels/is better than Halo though. It feels a little chunkier like Gears.

Some of the combat and animation reminds me of Gears if people are wondering about that one.

I'm reading into orangpelupa's posts my own sentiments. I really dislike the constant trivial encounters in MMOs with the perpetual respawning enemies, and will run past irrelevant encounters to get to where the main purpose of the quest is.

This. In traditional MMOs like World of Warcraft mobs are there for multiple purposes. Firstly they serve as some filler for quests and between quests for grinding levels. Second they serve a means to adjust your faction those pro/con to the mob. Third, many drop items critical for certain trade skills to support other aspects of the games economy.

You certainly need some to prevent the world from feeling desolate and to pace the player and to keep them running everywhere in a heartbeat, but without a reason for being, they are just in the way.

This. In traditional MMOs like World of Warcraft mobs are there for multiple purposes. Firstly they serve as some filler for quests and between quests for grinding levels. Second they serve a means to adjust your faction those pro/con to the mob. Third, many drop items critical for certain trade skills to support other aspects of the games economy.

You certainly need some to prevent the world from feeling desolate and to pace the player and to keep them running everywhere in a heartbeat, but without a reason for being, they are just in the way.

To be fair though, in Destiny the mobs are there for some for those same purposes. They *are* filler for quests and between quests. They do drop loot (rarely, admittedly).

Personally, I use them as target practice. Given that my preferred weapon is the scout rifle and I am pretty much always aiming for headshots, even trivial enemies require exercising some skill. I also try experimenting with different tactics when approaching groups of random enemies, especially after acquiring new skills or weapons. This practice serves me well when I get into encounters that matter.

If one is playing this game with the goal of exhausting the content as quickly as possible, as one would with any other shooter, isn't one then actively avoiding everything that Bungie put into the game to make it not just another shooter?

If there's no respawning then there's not much opportunity to level up which is one of the core features of Destiny and similar MMOs. Now take a situation where you have many people and not enough respawning enemies and it becomes "boring" as well. I guess it does get repetitive after awhile when you've leveled up to a point where the enemies in specific areas are easy to kill with no challenge or significant level up rewards but how would you design around that in a mult-player multilevel playing environment? You can't so you end up ignoring the "little guys" just to get to the big guys which is how the game is designed to work.

I'd like to see you design a better "balanced" gameplay environment...;)
I didn't say it was badly designed or could be designed better. I said I didn't like it and gave my reasons. It's why I personally don't play MMOs by and large, because it's not a system that appeals to me. I wouldn't claim MMO's are rubbish and shouldn't be made that way though. If others like it, all power to them. When asked why someone like orangpelupa might run through encounters instead of engaging in every one though, they should expect an answer.

@shifty
exactly, thats what i felt in desstiny.

@rudecurve
@scott_arm
dont worry, i really love to do that (shooting behind checkpoint) when i repeat mission.

but the "skipping enemy" part, i do them very often. because destiny missions repeat the same map/route. Then when i arrived at the new location, its time to explore and battle.

@destiny
its not the story that make me want to keep playing destiny, not the filler enemies. its the awesome boss battle :D The story is really passable and sometime just too weird for me

"i have no time to explain why i have no time to explain.." what???
"brings enemy's head to me" how the heck i do that? then suddenly i have enemy head on the next cutscene.

I just did my first heroic strike. The difficulty level is not even in the same universe as any other strike I've done. Half of the enemies can one shot you, you can't one shot anything - even with sniper rifle rounds straight to the head. There are a lot more of them, and more than half are yellow instead of normal. Oh, and there is no timed revive. If your team mates can't get you, you stay dead.

It was a blast though. It actually required strategy (even if our strategy on servitor was huddle near the same place and blast stuff so that your team mates could revive you when you inevitably got one shot).

I am hoping that with a bit more equipment and practice they become a bit easier though.

have you tried to hide behind checkpoint or loading area?
i have not tried heroic, but in Normal and Hard, enemy rarely chase you through a gate and never chase you through checkpoint or loading area.

EDIT:
they do still shooting at you, they just wont chase you.

I didn't say it was badly designed or could be designed better. I said I didn't like it and gave my reasons. It's why I personally don't play MMOs by and large, because it's not a system that appeals to me. I wouldn't claim MMO's are rubbish and shouldn't be made that way though. If others like it, all power to them. When asked why someone like orangpelupa might run through encounters instead of engaging in every one though, they should expect an answer.

Ok..so it goes back to my question...since all MMO have the same repetitive leveling up by killing respawning enemies gameplay mechanics..

Why even play the game? :???:

@shifty
exactly, thats what i felt in desstiny.

@rudecurve
@scott_arm
dont worry, i really love to do that (shooting behind checkpoint) when i repeat mission. .

LOL....so you repeat missions and then complain about it being repetitive?:LOL:

I guess you're expecting random enemies each time you repeat the missions like a dungeon crawler? :LOL:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok..so it goes back to my question...
He bought the game to play because he enjoys elements of it, and skips past the bits he doesn't like because he's free to do so. It's no different to skipping past cutscenes in an RPG if you enjoy the combat and levelling but don't care for the story.

@rudecurve
even if i dont repeat mission, the game is repetitive. thats why i skip the "filler battles" and enjoy the boss fights.

i expect when i do main mission, i don't need to repeat the filler battles in the same area again and again. But in destiny when i do main mission, i need to repat all that again if i did not skip them.

i think the game also expect player to skip filler battles because they are easy to skip and some of them have specific route that have no other function other than to skip battle.

Back