Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

How does one review a movie only seeing the first 5 minutes of it ?

Exactly. How do you review an online game where the bulk of content is meant to be experienced interactively with the community before the community even exists?

This particular line of reasoning would support more than anything else not releasing the game to reviewers before the servers go live. Frankly, I believe that any review published the first day would be necessarily incomplete - even if they had months to spend playing.

There is really nothing more that a few people running around on empty servers could tell us about the game that you couldn't learn from the beta. The only real question mark is how much content is really available. That you will know from a friend within 5 minutes of the servers going live. So why should Bungie bother to try and set up a special non-representative soft release for a few reviewers?

Exactly. How do you review an online game where the bulk of content is meant to be experienced interactively with the community before the community even exists?

This particular line of reasoning would support more than anything else not releasing the game to reviewers before the servers go live. Frankly, I believe that any review published the first day would be necessarily incomplete - even if they had months to spend playing.

There is really nothing more that a few people running around on empty servers could tell us about the game that you couldn't learn from the beta. The only real question mark is how much content is really available. That you will know from a friend within 5 minutes of the servers going live. So why should Bungie bother to try and set up a special non-representative soft release for a few reviewers?

There are years worth of games that require an online community that have been reviewed ahead of time. Hint .... Reviewers would create their own community since there are hundreds of them.

But hey a few days after the game comes out then we will finaly get reviews and we will know if a lot of people wasted money on a dud or got lucky

There are years worth of games that require an online community that have been reviewed ahead of time. Hint .... Reviewers would create their own community since there are hundreds of them.

But hey a few days after the game comes out then we will finaly get reviews and we will know if a lot of people wasted money on a dud or got lucky

I was going to respond sarcastically, but for the sake of civility will just restate the obvious.

4.6 million people have already played this game. Over 2 million people have already pre-ordered based on that exposure. I think the idea that we need reviews to tell us if the game is good or not is ridiculous. I believe most people probably already have more than enough information to decide.

Once again, the fact that Bungie let just about everyone play beta with no NDA shows that they aren't afraid of people seeing their game early. In my opinion, there is absolutely no point for Bungie to try and let a few special people form their own special community to do their own special reviews in the hopes they can generate a few page clicks.

Easy, there is so many examples of reviews doing a piss poor job if doing just that. A game like destiny is most likely and hopefully one of those games that have more layers than just a fps shooter.

This guy can already guarantee that I am getting my moneys worth. I liked the beta and if I just got the classic fps value back I would satisfied, but you know what, I am getting so much more.

#believe

Me. Found the Beta bland and 'by the numbers' as I think I said at the time. :yep2: Different stroks for different folks, though.

Me too. I was largely out after the alpha, which I played solidly for two days. It's not a bad game by any stretch but wasn't quite the mix of gameplay that I expected. I'm sure a crapload of people will love it though.

Obviously not everyone is going to like it. But some people in this thread are judging the game without even playing it. Or should I say one person.

The shooting is pretty good, the graphics look pretty good, it has vehicles and seemingly cool character-specific abilities. It's basically Halo in a PvE setting. What's not to like? What were people expecting?

I have not seen a single soul who has played the beta and not put in his money. Not in my knowledge :nope: !

Consider me the second person who has not preordered and will not be picking up the game until it's heavily discounted. Earlier I already shared my feedback on the game as I was playing the beta and why it pales in comparison to other games.

I think you could consider AlZilla / AlNom as person number three.

I think you could consider AlZilla / AlNom as person number three.
Al is getting to be such a cantankerous old fart. I remember back in the day when he was all bright-eyed and full of optimistic wonder as he ran around staring in awe at textures and effects. Now he's all bitter and shit.

I heard it was because the Gears of War franchise died?

I do think they probably messed up by doing a beta. As I've always said, Videogames is the ultimate anticipatory hobby. We are always looking forward to the next thing or next game, imagining how great it will be.

So anything that takes the edge off that is bad. I think that's proved by last gen, none of the biggest selling franchises ever put out demo's (Never would see a demo for Halo or Gears of War, two of my favorite franchises, for example). A demo would only serve to dull the hype, in an industry where hype is key.

I think that initial rush of "wow this is awesome" came with the PS4 Destiny Alpha. Then I think the Beta served to dull that a bit and went on too long.

They would have been better served by putting out the game, then the initial "wow this is incredible" would have come in the next few days, pushing lots of on the fence people into buying.

Even me, I generally enjoyed the alpha, but it did take a bit of the edge off, there's no way around that. I'm not as hyped as I would be going in basically blind. The other thing is the sheer reality that I'll have to play through several hours of content (that I already played in the Alpha) again.Still fairly hyped though.

That was less than 1 planet (Earth, we didn't have all of Old Russia from what the little map said I don't think) out of 4, and only 2 Crucible modes were ever available (one was intermittent).

Wait, there's only 4 planets?? That actually does sound a little thin.

I dont know, I hadn't kept up and just assumed there was like 11 or something.

Still, videogames being too "short" is never a problem for me. A 20 hour game is LOOOOOOONG imo.

Easy, there is so many examples of reviews doing a piss poor job if doing just that. A game like destiny is most likely and hopefully one of those games that have more layers than just a fps shooter.

This guy can already guarantee that I am getting my moneys worth. I liked the beta and if I just got the classic fps value back I would satisfied, but you know what, I am getting so much more.

#believe

So let me ask you a question. A lot of people are concerned about the amount of content in the game.

So what do you think the overall % of the game the beta let you play ?

Now what if it turns out the beta was 50% or 70% of the content of the game ?

I stated during the beta that the gameplay was great but I was already bored of the same exact zones over and over again.

Delaying a review would of course hide the amount of content avalible in the game.

I'm a huge movie fan and anytime they hold back screenings for reviewers its a big red flag.

Like I said , we will know in a week or so

To the folks who did not like Destiny, were you playing it co-operatively? Were you playing the Crucible(competitive mode)?

Tommy McClain

So let me ask you a question. A lot of people are concerned about the amount of content in the game.

So what do you think the overall % of the game the beta let you play ?

Less than 10%. Actually, size is not that much of a concern for me. Bungie said that Destiny is bigger than any other game they've made. I've played all of the Halo games. I never thought they were too short. Even if I assume Destiny is just on par with the shortest Halo game - that still seems like plenty of content to me.

Now what if it turns out the beta was 50% or 70% of the content of the game ?

I seriously don't understand these numbers. They allowed the moon to be available for 1 mission. I went exploring after I finished. The moon alone is equal in size if not bigger than Old Russia. It doesn't appear so on the map, but that is because it goes underground. I spent the better part of an hour lost in underground tunnels - and I couldn't explore even a fraction of them because I kept running into the one shot killers. But just seeing how large that area was - to get 50% having been shown in the beta, both Mars and Venus would have to be a single short strike mission long.

Not to mention that 4 of the 6 arena modes, any sub-classes, over half of the skill tree, and raids didn't even make an appearance. Were these numbers hyperbolic or do you really think you saw 50-70% of the content Destiny has to offer?

I found the PS4-Destiny bundle for €389, so decided to order it, I'll be going on a holiday to Crete just about when the machine arrives though... :) How much do I lose if I don't have PS+ and is it possible to play it without other persons in the game?

To the folks who did not like Destiny, were you playing it co-operatively? Were you playing the Crucible(competitive mode)?

Tommy McClain

Co-op yes, crucible no.

I liked parts of it, but it didn't feel as polished as it should be. As I said previously the loading screens got old pretty damn fast -- warp out to your ship just to go to the city to trade in your quests to then warp back out to your ship just to warp out to a zone. FFS, just let me use quick travel or travel on the ground like Borderlands perfected years ago. The controller mouse cursor control scheme got old even quicker. Its like they did this stupid shit just to be different and don't care how it impacts the players.

Yes Coop, no Crucible. One thing that really irks me is quickly respawning enemies. It kinda makes the job of shooting them pointless. That's an MMO meme that I dislike. Go to a place, clear a path, find it's closed in behind you. Sometimes Borderlands 20 minute respawn time can get annoying too, but it's overall better balanced.

I think generally I need a sense of goals and completion. Respawning enemies means you can never clear the area, which means can't ever satisfy the goal of 'shoot all the baddies/red dots'. We tried some DCUO the other day, looking for something new to play cooperatively online, and I didn't like it at all. Didn't understand how anyone could like it! Arrive in town, kill baddies, smash poison vents, they all appear back again! A never ending problem with no solution. The goal of these games feels like levelling up, and when I read MMO forums that seems to be how it's played. I don't like that game structure.

For me, I'd want a Borderlands like structure where you form a group of friends and play through a game. That can be open world or tunnel levels, but it needs to be us few, good men versus the world in our own discrete universe.

As for gunplay and stuff, to me it's all much of a muchness from game to game. Not being a shooter connoisseur, I can't tell much difference between one and the next other than gun speed. Tried a bit of Warhawk the other day and it was slow, had a huge dead-zone, and had aiming inertia it seems, so felt really different and uncomfortable. But KZ and Borderlands and Destiny are all the same thing otherwise.

Back