Destiny [PS3,X360,PS4,XO]

I think it has (IMO, minor) aim assist.

It wasn't noticeable for me and I really do not like aim assist. Anything that impacts my reticule tracking to a target aggravates me.

You're not helping, aim assist! :nope:

I definitely noticed my reticle slowly drift towards enemies sometimes. But I mostly didn't notice it because I'd move the right stick faster than the drift anyway. It doesn't really lock onto enemies as they move AFAIK. Again, it's pretty subtle IMO.

The aim assist seemed pretty noticeable to me. On occasion it would quite literally quickly snap to enemies that made it apparent my aiming was being "helped". Haven't quite figured out if it bothers me or not. I'm leaning on the side of "not really" at the moment, but I do like the option to turn off auto-aim to see how good my aim with the sticks actually is.

What I am sure that really bothers me is how ammo is handled. As Cornsnake pointed out special and heavy weapons seem to lose their ammo when you change the weapon in inventory. Which means I could equip a new weapon in inventory to test it out, switch back to the one i was using, and find myself out of ammo. A hot button (or gesture) mapped to the touchpad to use an ammo replenishment consumable might help this if they don't want to allow ammo to carry over for whatever reason.

The aim assist seemed pretty noticeable to me.
I didn't notice it. Now you've mentioned it I will pay attention during the beta. I will probably hate it then and it will be your fault :yep2:

What I am sure that really bothers me is how ammo is handled. As Cornsnake pointed out special and heavy weapons seem to lose their ammo when you change the weapon in inventory.

Yup, that was annoying. I was hoping to be able to fully load out a few special weapons and anticipated the limit was ammo in reserve but it doesn't work like that at all.

But it's an alpha. Plenty of time to change these things and I hope they do. People who carefully manage their ammo should be rewarded for doing so.

The level cap is already confirmed to be level 20, and you are still supposed to reach it quickly. Loot apparently was supposed to be what it was all about. But, in the alpha at least, the loot was terrible.

I'm surprised so many didn't notice the auto aim. You didn't even have be close to hitting the head to get a headshot. If another enemy walked in front of your crosshair it would follow him in stead staying on the enemy you were aiming at.

I know this is an alpha and that full game will have more content, and that they'll make improvement from what they'll have learned from this alpha. But the amount of work I think needs to be done to make it a great game, I don't think is realistic to expect. Looking at this alpha I think it's clear they are going for accessibility over depth. They kind of need to be with the massive budget this game has. And if that's the case I'll probably get bored with it soon.

I'll still try the beta though. It's said to have more content.

A level cap of 20 seems really low. Well unless the progression curve flattens out crazily. People will hit level 20 within days otherwise!

They showed in trailers monsters with level 24 and coop friend that had level 33.
MMOs have long had creatures far higher level than the players because multiplayers players can take down things of a much higher level unless the scales are tipped (e.g. excessive health, health regeneration or other abilities) that make a 1 on 1 battle impossible. I recall when World of Warcraft's player cap was level 50, there was enemies equivalent to level 60 on the curve of increase health/dmg.

However a level 33 monsters seems crazy high if the level cap is really 20. Is there a citation for Bungie saying the level cap is 20? I saw lvl 20 equipment in the alpha but assumed it was just subset of what would be in the final game.

does the headshot means 1 hit kill? or it just add more damage?
Just more damage. Whether you can kill something in one shot will depend on the base damage of your weapon, any multipliers, the base health of the target and the differential between your level and the target's level.

E.g. when I was level 6 it was very hard to kill level 9 'knights' even with head shots because of the level difference. Anything also level 6 though had a 50/50 chance of a one hit kill - based on my observations anyway.

aww so the shooting mechanic is back to usual MMO... i was hoping in Destiny i will be able to overcome level barrier by twitch-shooting headshots...
i though Destiny will be like Halo that allow heatshot to kill (after shield died).

level gap is what i hate most in MMO and its heavily integrated into more and more not-so-massive multiplayer games e.g. BF3 and BF4,
i kind of miss playing game without level dis/advantage

aww so the shooting mechanic is back to usual MMO... i was hoping in Destiny i will be able to overcome level barrier by twitch-shooting headshots...
Nah, there's gotta be a balance, particularly as sniper rifles are so prevalent. I think I got my first sniper riffle at level 5 in the alpha, if every headshot resulted in a kill those level 9 'fallen knights' would have been zero challenge :)

I can't link anything right now because I'm on my PS4, but the level cap is 20. If you search for it you should find it easily. Weapons can go higher then level 20.

I can't link anything right now because I'm on my PS4, but the level cap is 20. If you search for it you should find it easily. Weapons can go higher then level 20.

A cite would be good. There is nothing on Bungie's site, nor Wikipedia. The last interview I saw was Eurogamer's from 30th April where the level cap was still not revealed.

A level cap of 20 just looks way too low unless the level of experience needed to progress to each level isn't so much on a curve bit basically doubles each level. That's be crazy brutal though. And the number of skill unlocks, assuming at most one per level, suggests more than 30 levels. There was certainly no more than one skill unlock per level in the alpha.

But why did Bungie did not targeted 60fps?

“It’s a lot of different things,” explains Jason Sussman who is the senior environment artist at Bungie. “I could get really technical, but I’d bore you to death. A lot has to do with performance. We’re cross-platform, so we had to be very delicate with all four consoles, making sure they have the same experience, that it looks as good as it possibly can on all these consoles. A lot goes into that, from geometry to textures to post effects to particles to how many players you get on the screen. We’re always balancing that out to make sure everyone gets the same experience,” he said in an interview with Venturebeat.
http://gamingbolt.com/bungie-explains-why-destiny-is-not-60fps-on-the-ps4-and-xbox-one

Let's see... performance & meanwhile upgrading graphics. The CPUs just aren't good enough for them.

A cite would be good. There is nothing on Bungie's site, nor Wikipedia. The last interview I saw was Eurogamer's from 30th April where the level cap was still not revealed.

A level cap of 20 just looks way too low unless the level of experience needed to progress to each level isn't so much on a curve bit basically doubles each level. That's be crazy brutal though. And the number of skill unlocks, assuming at most one per level, suggests more than 30 levels. There was certainly no more than one skill unlock per level in the alpha.

The level 20 cap came from gamefaqs, but it doesn't have a link either so it may be talking bullshit.

The Guardian has an article about Destiny where they talk to the devs, and they still say you'll reach the level cap quickly, and after that it's about collecting better loot.

The level 20 cap came from gamefaqs, but it doesn't have a link either so it may be talking bullshit. The Guardian has an article about Destiny where they talk to the devs, and they still say you'll reach the level cap quickly, and after that it's about collecting better loot.

I saw the Guardian article and think the reference to reaching the level cap quickly [in the context of social and pvp] may be specific to PVP. Bungie did a lot of interviews at the end if April and though a lot of these mention being able to do multiplayer within a few hours, only the Guardian suggests, ambiguously, that you can reach the level cap in a few hours.

Having played many a MMO, expecting players to appreciate the nuances of their class and abilities if they go from zero to hero in a few hours, sounds like a lot of uneducated players which would only lead to a frustrating multiplayer experience for many.

I've never found deep multiplayer experience in any game that didn't take a few days, at least, to adapt too - aside from learning maps and so on.

Let's see... performance & meanwhile upgrading graphics. The CPUs just aren't good enough for them.

They couldn't hit 60fps on all platforms and as they're all in the same world, they thought it would be unfair, so they capped it at 30fps, which in turn leaves room for cosmetic upgrades on some platforms that could have hit a higher framerate?

At least, that's the explanation I take from this. For competitive play it may hurt them though in the lnog run, for the rest it probably matters less.

Level 20 seems right based on a couple things:

1. All the best Armor in the Tower is Lvl 20 across the board. There is no higher Armor available for purchase.

2. Several of the Skills in the Skill Tree, are unlocked through usage, not by leveling up. For example, I've already unlocked "cluster" type grenades, just from playing the game with my capped level 8 character. Once you unlock one of these skills, you select which one you want to use, they don't stack on top of eachother.

Another neat thing I found is that the weapons themselves level up through usage. So if you use a certain weapon a ton, then eventually you'll unlock a 10-15% damage booster, or some other upgrade.

Back