Unreal Engine 4

Mark Rein?! Wow, now this was awkward. I dont want to be mean or anything, but awkward people is quite the Epic's specialty too. This, Sweeney, Cliffy (no more), those guys always feel a little odd to me.

So we get some insight into their new engine scripting and all you guys can comment is how dorky an inhouse demo is? As Brad said, Mark is just playing out the schtick.

Yeah no kidding! This is targeted as a playground for artists, isn't it? A playground at any rate, with a low technical barrier.

New presentation:

http://blog.selfshadow.com/publications/s2013-shading-course/karis/s2013_pbs_epic_slides.pdf

The most interesting part to me is about the area lights. Unlike the methods of other engines like KZSF's and CryEngine 3, UE4 supports area-omni lights, instead of just area-spot lights.

ue4_arealight1ouye.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah increasingly both offline and real-time rendering seem to be moving in the direction of area lights as "good enough" with true GI/indirect lighting being far less important. I spoke with some offline rendering folks last year that told me that artists primarily use GI to do area-light type things (by shining point lights on a wall, etc) anyways.

Cool presentation.

Unreal Engine 4 available today with full source code for 19$/month : https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/welcome-to-unreal-engine-4

Didn't see it coming :oops:
Huge news ! :D

This is interesting. I wonder why they do this as now everyone, including their competitors can get the source code? I would have thought that if your main income source is a game engine, you try to keep the secrets of that engine as hidden as possible.

Are they targeting Unity with this change?

That's like music to my ears! ;)

A Davrosesque joke based on one of Davros's posts… not bad, not bad! :)

This is interesting. I wonder why they do this as now everyone, including their competitors can get the source code? I would have thought that if your main income source is a game engine, you try to keep the secrets of that engine as hidden as possible.

Are they targeting Unity with this change?

Unity is not open source, but the basic version is free (i.e. the one without dynamic shadows, the performance profiler, etc.).

Anyone know what system the city scene is running on when the temporal aa is shown ?
ps: didnt ati once have temporal aa ?

It's a weird plan. Many devs stick to the feature-set offered by the engine in use without implementing most updates once they start production so that things don't break form underneath their feet. Isn't it pretty viable to just pay one month of subscription and then just work with that?
Giving access to source code is not completely new though. All AAA games that license the full engine do get access to it, and that's how they get to implement their own features and optimizations.

Anyone know what system the city scene is running on when the temporal aa is shown ?
ps: didnt ati once have temporal aa ?
Ati:s temporal AA was just switching sample locations between frames.
Doesn't really work well with all monitors and wasn't gamma correct.

These new ones are re-projection methods in which each frame the sample positions are changed and combined 'properly' with old information.
Something like this.
http://bartwronski.com/2014/03/15/temporal-supersampling-and-antialiasing/

It's a weird plan. Many devs stick to the feature-set offered by the engine in use without implementing most updates once they start production so that things don't break form underneath their feet. Isn't it pretty viable to just pay one month of subscription and then just work with that?
The license agreement will probably say that you're not allowed to develop unless your $20 free has been paid for for a particular month. Yes, it's easy to violate that, most American companies are not going to do that for just $20 per developer.

Besides, I don't think they'll expect this $20 to be a meaningful revenue source. It's probably a deliberate minor hurdle to ensure that their support lines don't get overwhelmed with amateurs for whom even $20 is too much.

Back