Fortnite by Epic Games [PC Edition]

Richard

Mord's imaginary friend
Veteran
We know this. Because Epic plays fast and loose with these things here it is in full:

Mike Capps @ PAX said:
We might be working on a PC-only title...

Cliff Bleszinski @ PAX said:
Let me say that again: we are working on a PC game.

Kotaku said:
Update: Epic Games prez Mike Capps told us after the panel that the unannounced PC project is currently underway, and that the current plans are to keep the game exclusive to the PC platform. Unsurprisingly, he wouldn't tell us anything else.

With the cancelling of Gears of War: Exile (a Kinect title), relations between Epic and MS might have cooled a bit.

[troll]back in 2008 CliffyB said "I think the PC is just in disarray. What’s driving the PC right now is Sims-type games and World of Warcraft and a lot of stuff that’s in a web-based interface. The PC is kind of the secondary part of what we’re doing. It’s important for us, but right now making triple A games on consoles is where we’re at.” so, Epic is bringing us an MMO or SimGears[/troll]

I think they are looking for something to showcase UE4. That can't currently be done on consoles.

Once that mission is accomplished, I'm willing to bet they go right back to console first developement.

Regards,
SB

How far we've come. Every time I see a comment from someone at Epic about how they are really interested in PC titles, I always mentally insert the words "Father Of Lies" between that person's first name and last name.

Which developer was it saying last year about how the PC is where it's at? It's the vanguard for games, it's where all the tech and ideas come from to trickle-down to the consoles. I know it wasn't anyone at Epic.

So while Epic may want to show off a next-gen UE4 title on the PC in order to sell it as middleware to the console market, they will not be well received unless they go back to their roots. By that I mean the days when they designed games for the PC as best they could, polished them until they shined, and then supported them properly.

If they do what they did with UT3, and design a cross platform title where their PC game was limited left right and centre by what Epic wanted to promote on the consoles, then it won't sell, just as UT3 didn't.

Its not a true exclusive it will be launch year for both ps4 and xbox next. The pc will get it first thats what my understanding of the situation is.

Its not a true exclusive it will be launch year for both ps4 and xbox next. The pc will get it first thats what my understanding of the situation is.
Well, it will be exclusive in the current gen landscape? :LOL:
I`d love a true successor to UT2004 - bright, colorful and not abused for showing off new engine effects. Not holding my breath tho.
Which developer was it saying last year about how the PC is where it's at? It's the vanguard for games, it's where all the tech and ideas come from to trickle-down to the consoles. I know it wasn't anyone at Epic.
PC is a lousy scratchpad for experiments and failed ideas, consoles is where ideas and tech take the form of art :runaway:

Yep it's most likely just something to sell UE4 on the consoles and yes, the next gen machines will likely get an enhanced version which will piss all the PC gamers off but I'm still looking forward to it if it turns out to be something interesting.

I'll be a lot more excited if they finally decide to release Gears 2 and 3 on the PC. That would certainly buy them a lot of good will with the PC community ahead of this new game (to say nothing of the profit).

Going on what you are saying pjbliverpool, Gears 2 and 3 with the UE4 tech would be perfect on PC! You hear that Epic?!?!

Epic owns the Gears IP, but then I don't know what they'd have to do with the multiplayer/co-op side since the sequels have become so heavily tied into the XBL service, assuming they want to self-publish ala Alan Wake. Epic may be allowed to put out a PC version, but then maybe won't have the backing for publishing or additional funding to spend time reworking the multiplayer side (then additional PC QA)? In the end, it may not even be worth Epic's time at this point. :p

At least Alan Wake only had the SP to worry about.

Epic owns the Gears IP, but then I don't know what they'd have to do with the multiplayer/co-op side since the sequels have become so heavily tied into the XBL service, assuming they want to self-publish ala Alan Wake.

Could be a good poster child for a Windows 8 game that works with XBLive, assuming Win8 does have full XBLive functionality.

Back