Samsung Galaxy S series rumours.....

Errr... that kind of workload optimization is already employed to some degree by various software and hardware mechanisms and is a very welcome optimization that helps promote efficiency (just like app detection, as long as it doesn't focus exclusively on benchmarks.)
You make a very good point, but that last part is key.

And to counter the Ars nonsense, here's AnandTech's proper take on it with the full story:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7384/state-of-cheating-in-android-benchmarks
Is this the same anandtech that published intels baytrails numbers recently claiming large performance compared to ARM in a benchmark, even though its been proven later intel cooked the benchmark, yet anandtech have been 'silent' about this.

Whilst theyre most likely right about who's cooking benchmarks. Anandtech does play favorites

Is this the same anandtech that published intels baytrails numbers recently claiming large performance compared to ARM in a benchmark, even though its been proven later intel cooked the benchmark, yet anandtech have been 'silent' about this.

Whilst theyre most likely right about who's cooking benchmarks. Anandtech does play favorites

No. Look up the facts before starting throwing insinuations around. Antutu was never part of AT's suite and the time difference between those two events is several months.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.o2online.de/handy/samsung-galaxy-s5/

L6U5nuq.jpg

Confirmation that the Galaxy S5 is waterproof?

Possibly.

Could also be a poorly implemented visual metaphor for "making a big splash" or something.

More likely a waterproof reference, if either of those two choices are accurate.

Is that really a big selling point?

People aren't going to swim with it or go into the shower with it.

Maybe it's good if it's raining lightly and you don't have to worry about it getting web.

But if it's waterproof maybe its an indication of better build quality, though they were going to have a separate line featuring better materials and higher build quality this year?

My sis was utterly thrilled with the underwater MP3 player I gave her for Chrimbo as it makes swimming less boring. So an underwater phone for swimmers has some value (single device), but a stupidly pricey one that'll alienate many. Still, yuppies who want to talk stocks and shares while working out will appreciate it...

I can see that as a selling point for anyone who ever 'lost' a phone in the bathroom. Especially if they lost a Galaxy S4 that way.
Wait, why are you looking at me like that? :D

It's also a USP of their rival Sony flagship phone, so going toe-to-toe in features, even if not really of much use, is important.

I can see that as a selling point for anyone who ever 'lost' a phone in the bathroom. Especially if they lost a Galaxy S4 that way.
Wait, why are you looking at me like that? :D

Because you're so damn immature; sinking one's ships in the bathtub isn't nice :devilish:

Is that really a big selling point?
I'd definitely love a waterproof phone. The Sony options were lackluster to me due to the bad screens and imho ugly design/ergonomics. I hope it's a continuing feature for all future phones.

But anyway, anyone willing to place bets on how Samsung will fuck up their models with varying SoC options? ;)

I've owned a waterproof phone, the Motorola Defy, and I must say that it's quite a bonus not to worry if the phone can get wet somehow.
It's an expensive object that we hold lots of times during the day in all kinds of situations and we end up depending a lot on it. Especially for someone living in a rainy zone, if we don't have to worry with the phone falling to a pond or getting water from the rain, being waterproof is really nice.

And along with being waterproof, most phones end up being dustproof as well, so taking it to the beach isn't a concern either.

I'd definitely love a waterproof phone. The Sony options were lackluster to me due to the bad screens and imho ugly design/ergonomics. I hope it's a continuing feature for all future phones.
What's your complain with the Z1 line?

My phone isn't waterproof, but it's been fine despite having gotten wet a lot of times from the rain. But that's what you get when you go everywhere by bike. That said, I can imagine that the peace of mind that it'll be fine must be pretty nice.

What's your complain with the Z1 line?
1) The screen is typically low-quality and Sony has built up a (bad) reputation on this. Funnily enough the Z1 Compact has a much better screen than the Z1.

2) I find it hideous as hell. I mean come on, what's up with those bezels?

My phone isn't waterproof, but it's been fine despite having gotten wet a lot of times from the rain. But that's what you get when you go everywhere by bike. That said, I can imagine that the peace of mind that it'll be fine must be pretty nice.
Personally I'd love to be able to film/snap pictures in water at the beach or pools, or just to have lazy baths at home.

So S4 sales weren't quite as healthy as some expected.

Maybe phones released in the last couple of years are fast enough that the designers have to dig for features to get people to upgrade?

The reading your eyes thing got some hype but didn't seem to set the world on fire.

Seems like they're starting to resort to more gimmicks, like fingerprint sensors and the like.

Seems like they're starting to resort to more gimmicks, like fingerprint sensors and the like.
Not that I disagree about your point about having to resort to gimmicks, but the fingerprint thing is IMHO probably the least gimmicky of all.

I can't wait to never have to enter that dumb pass code anymore once the next iPhone comes out!

If they leverage that to let 3rd-party apps authenticate that way, and even possibly authenticate transactions, then it would go beyond gimmick.

Just to unlock the phone though, not so much.

Back