Phil Harrison to lead MS Game Studios in Europe

This is a confusing move. Phil got out of Sony because he felt frustrated that they wouldn't listen to his ideas of the grand future. He went to Atari and didn't do anything with his grand vision. He went to Gaikai and hasn't really changed things. So what's he gonna do at MS? Give up and just run a conventional console service again? The opportunities he gave devs were pretty tremendous, but that somewhat goes against MS's typical approach, unless they are wanting Harrison to bring to MS what he brought to Sony regards supporting innovative software. But then why would Phil accept that position?

This is a confusing move. Phil got out of Sony because he felt frustrated that they wouldn't listen to his ideas of the grand future. He went to Atari and didn't do anything with his grand vision. He went to Gaikai and hasn't really changed things. So what's he gonna do at MS? Give up and just run a conventional console service again? The opportunities he gave devs were pretty tremendous, but that somewhat goes against MS's typical approach, unless they are wanting Harrison to bring to MS what he brought to Sony regards supporting innovative software. But then why would Phil accept that position?

His ideas could match Microsoft's big Kinect push.

He's not replacing where Peter left according to Major Nelson..

Larry Hryb ‏ @majornelson Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
FAQ:Is Phil Harrison replacing Peter Molyneux? A: No. Phil’s role on the IEB leadership team is completely unrelated to Peter’s departure

After spinning off so much internal talent -- and the likely risk Sony will be co-launching the PS4 the same year as the Xbox 3 -- MS needs some talent evaluator who can find smaller, up and coming studios like Rocksteady Studios (Batman Arkham Asylum/City) or even a High Moon Studios (TF: War for Cybertron) that with proper funding/support for their ideas can become affordable ways to snag exclusive titles because with a co-launch it will be much harder for MS to snag defacto exclusives like they did with the 360.

Probably a good move by MS if for no other reason Phil has done a similar job before, has a ton of industry contacts and experience, and I think big picture for MS and their European efforts this signifies a push to grow there over where they previously have been.

From what I understand, Phil was frustrated that his ideas were not adopted and funded properly outside of Europe.

Perhaps MS is offering to listen and fully fund and support his initiatives.

Regardless of the broader impact, if nothing else, this move should really help to improve MS' chances in Europe.

Great move by MS; he should be a big improvement over Peter in identifying and cultivating European dev support.

Congrats ! I have always thought Shuhei lacks Harrison's creative sparks. It's a pity Sony hasn't found anyone who rival Phil's vision. Shuhei sounds more like a traffic coordinator and a workhorse/execution type. Can't wait to hear more about Phil's new ideas.

I´m predicting very bad things for Xbox Next if you dont like casual stuff

MS has been very conservative what they publish. Basically only commercial hits. If a new hardcore IP does not sell 5M+ it will never get a next game..

I´m predicting very bad things for Xbox Next if you dont like casual stuff

MS has been very conservative what they publish. Basically only commercial hits. If a new hardcore IP does not sell 5M+ it will never get a next game..

I think you are setting the bar a little high at 5M+ as titles like ODST, Fable 2, Forza 1-3, the first couple Mass Effects, Crackdown (which saw 2), PGR3 (which saw 4), etc. didn't ascend that high. Yes, MS is weeding out "under performers" and many of us do not like it. But they still seem committed to hardcore software.

You should move your prediction to your signature; when you are right we can all congratulate you. I would do that but I make far too many predictions like my screen-on-a-controller and break-out controllers.

He went to Atari and didn't do anything with his grand vision.

It's not that easy to make zombie dance and sing.

I had no idea that Peter Molyneux had left Lionhead!

Wanna hug? :)

Sony should hire J Allard in retaliation.

My sense is that he's burned out. Whether it's because of Sinofsky's bulldozer or by the amount of stuff that was on his shoulders, I'd be surprised to see him reappear with Sony.

That said I didn't expect Phil@MS either. ;)

If that happened MS would have no other option other then to fire Balmer and hire The KEN.

If Kuturagi joined MS, with his crazy schemes and MS' deep pockets, he would develop a console to end all others. One which is powered by strange fire and when turned on, would split the space-time continuum and translate the mind and consciousness of it's hosts into the para-meta-physical world of celestial god-hood....

... then would the universe retreat unto the singularity preceding the big bang, and the gods would sing the song to end all existance

*cowers in the corner shivering in terror*
:nope::no::nope::no::nope::no:

Back