News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this was announced some time ago but got delayed. Almost everything about the original vision of the Xbox One is gone now.

Not very spectacular, but the vikings game and the X360 title, Red Faction Guerrilla are the most interesting for me. Still I don't know if I will remember to plug the X360 because the next month is going to be great on the Xbox One.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 360 games look great to me. Loved the 1st Viva Pinata & always wanted the 2nd one. Heard good things about Red Faction too. Love anything Mars & it's an open-world game too.

Tommy McClain

The 360 games look great to me. Loved the 1st Viva Pinata & always wanted the 2nd one. Heard good things about Red Faction too.

I'm pretty pleased with those 360 offerings as I've not owned either of them. I'm especially happy with VP:TiP.

However it's been nearly a year since the X1 launch and I'd say it's about time to get some non-indie games on GwG. I've enjoyed the titles we've had so far but am starting to get side-scrolling beat-em-up fatigue.

I like Leadbetter. He gives proper credit to the person that found it, even though they're 'just' a forumite on a different site. Not sure that many of these reblogger sites would be so decent.

Lol you are famous now mosen. Smaller, cheaper, cooler Xbox One processor in development • Eurogamer.net

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...aper-cooler-xbox-one-processor-in-development

I would like to see a performance improvement like Nintendo did with 3DS. Games could be dynamically scaled to 1080p on X1 Slim while running at a lower resolution on the original. The existing X1 userbase is small enough MS shouldn't limit themselves to the original X1's lower performance level for the next 5 years. Original X1 owners can just upgrade to the new console. It's not like it's that expensive anymore and the slim will be even cheaper, likely starting a $299. Trade-in's of old consoles can be incentivized to address any disappointment.

I would like to see a performance improvement like Nintendo did with 3DS. Games could be dynamically scaled to 1080p on X1 Slim while running at a lower resolution on the original. The existing X1 userbase is small enough MS shouldn't limit themselves to the original X1's lower performance level for the next 5 years. Original X1 owners can just upgrade to the new console. It's not like it's that expensive anymore and the slim will be even cheaper, likely starting a $299. Trade-in's of old consoles can be incentivized to address any disappointment.

There are sources of resistance to measurably upclocking the shrink, and if we are discussing bridging the gap between 900p and 1080p, that is a notable upclock.
It would duplicate portions of the performance analysis and QA for two versions of the same console, particularly for elements that do not scale with resolution.
Raising clocks can push back the crossover point in yields where a shrink becomes financially justifiable, and if it is 20nm there are likely limited power gains that would be eaten by an upclock.

Without an upclock, it is uncertain how far into the generation a shrunk version would be introduced, with the passage of time increasing the number of consumers left with an inferior product, after decades of expectations built up for consistency in core performance.
Feature changes or price drops already incentivise not being an early adopter, but to change the dynamic by convincing some of the most enthusiastic core gamers that establish early critical mass for a platform that buying your favored console is a rip-off unless you wait 2-3 years is a problem for the Xbox Two, besides the PR hit for betraying the expectations of millions of existing core customers.

Even if the Xbox One's userbase is not big relative to the lifetime totals for a console, it is still a large enough number in absolute terms to give plenty of grist for negative media attention.

Impossible option 2: Xbox one today is upclocked to 1250 Mhz which then matches the performance of the Xbox slim :)

Unless Microsoft are well on the way of deploying a slim Xbox One, this is a bit of a bugger for Microsoft. People desperately wanting a smaller Xbox One may now be minded to wait for the smaller unit, even if one isn't imminent. Microsoft may deny it but then they denied they'd remove Kinect the weeks later it was gone. A smaller Xbox One hugely appeals to me.

I blame Mosen for destroying Microsoft.

Bad Mosen, bad! :yep2:

There are sources of resistance to measurably upclocking the shrink, and if we are discussing bridging the gap between 900p and 1080p, that is a notable upclock.
It would duplicate portions of the performance analysis and QA for two versions of the same console, particularly for elements that do not scale with resolution.
Raising clocks can push back the crossover point in yields where a shrink becomes financially justifiable, and if it is 20nm there are likely limited power gains that would be eaten by an upclock.

Okay, these are good insights as to technical obstacles to a Slim upgrade, thanks for sharing them.

Without an upclock, it is uncertain how far into the generation a shrunk version would be introduced, with the passage of time increasing the number of consumers left with an inferior product, after decades of expectations built up for consistency in core performance.
Feature changes or price drops already incentivise not being an early adopter, but to change the dynamic by convincing some of the most enthusiastic core gamers that establish early critical mass for a platform that buying your favored console is a rip-off unless you wait 2-3 years is a problem for the Xbox Two, besides the PR hit for betraying the expectations of millions of existing core customers.

Even if the Xbox One's userbase is not big relative to the lifetime totals for a console, it is still a large enough number in absolute terms to give plenty of grist for negative media attention.
I agree with this perspective as it is the more likely and realistic expectation to follow course, I'm just leaving open consideration for the possibility that precedent is broken and something unexpected and unconventional unfolds for a Slim upgrade.

I would guess the combination of a smaller, cheaper hardware and exclusives is the much more expected approach MS will take for Xbox One marketing for the rest of its years on the market.

Seriously, it's a fault of LinkedIn and contemporary social internetery. Possibly also a violation of NDA on the part of Daniel McConnell who shouldn't be giving away such info even if as part of his CV, if that's how the NDA goes. Of course, he wouldn't have thought of that when releasing a CV as CV's are 'private', only now we're in an age where everything is public.

Quite frankly, the information age is a bit of a mess (to put it politely!).

Seriously, it's a fault of LinkedIn and contemporary social internetery. Possibly also a violation of NDA on the part of Daniel McConnell who shouldn't be giving away such info even if as part of his CV, if that's how the NDA goes. Of course, he wouldn't have thought of that when releasing a CV as CV's are 'private', only now we're in an age where everything is public.

Quite frankly, the information age is a bit of a mess (to put it politely!).
You have my +1 thousand.

I'm not good at describing myself and I do not like to give too many details about me, I prefer to reserve that information for quiet conversation and keep the mystery until then. I am reserved.

Yet sometimes it's SO difficult to escape this technological bubble.

Unless Microsoft are well on the way of deploying a slim Xbox One, this is a bit of a bugger for Microsoft. People desperately wanting a smaller Xbox One may now be minded to wait for the smaller unit, even if one isn't imminent. Microsoft may deny it but then they denied they'd remove Kinect the weeks later it was gone. A smaller Xbox One hugely appeals to me.

Anyone that didnt just start gaming knows what to expect as far as consoles getting revisions. I mean even the original NES had one. Im sure the percentage of gamers that always wait for a revision to buy into a gen are small.

Shrinks tend to happen a few years in. Talk of a shrink now is fairly unprecedented, I think. Although I doubt a 28 > 20 nm shrink will result in a slim - just a revision. However, some of those headlines are suggesting a smaller, cooller box already. That's the sort of rumour that really isn't wanted.

There was discussion of shrinks of the 90nm console chips of the prior generation some time ahead of them actually making it to market. Discussion that focused on semi manufacturing sort of took it as a given, assuming nobody explicitly stated that they had a definite plan even at launch (I think some basically said as much, but I do not recall where that came up)--although this is the sort of thing that they would have projected and scheduled in advance.

I've argued already that awareness of fabrication trends likely had an impact on how aggressively the current consoles could reach for die area and performance, and that it would figure into how much of a loss leader they could make the initial models.

What does seem different is the number of barely technical web sites now breathlessly latching onto such things, even at a time when the benefits of said shrinks on power and cost is lower than it once was.

Sony, Kutaragi I believe, said they intended to launch PS3 at 65nm. 360 didn't get a die shrink for two years. PS3 got its a year after release, but in line with 360 and the 65 nm process.

A die shrink one year after launch is unusual. It only happened for PS3 because the intended process was a year late and Sony had to fall back to 90nm.

I don't think the reporting is any different. Websites ran with reporting that the 40 GB PS3 had 65nm, then didn't, then did again when Hirai finally cleared it up. Perhaps the number of websites and clueless assumptions are more numerous, but that's just because the internet has grown in volume (in every sense of the word) in seven years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back