News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a big fan of snapping, it is rather annoying when choosing 'help' in some games snaps help to the right and - without kinect voice commands - you need to go through 3 steps in other to remove the snapped help app.
Other than that, I really like the console. The constant stream of updates have really helped (not least the ability to use external HDDs as storage for games).

I have seen some weird issues when selecting danish language, though - for some reason Diablo 3 runs much better when having english language selected, but with danish language selected for the console some microstutter-ish behaviour is present. I've been switching language back and forth more than a few times, so the issue is easily replicated. Weird.

Just to clarify, I'm a danish user and you cannot have danish language selected and kinect voice commands enabled. You have to switch to english language (or any of the other launch countries that had voice commands enabled). I'm not a big fan of snapping, it is rather annoying when choosing 'help' in some games snaps help to the right and - without kinect voice commands - you need to go through 3 steps in other to remove the snapped help app.
Other than that, I really like the console. The constant stream of updates have really helped (not least the ability to use external HDDs as storage for games).

I have seen some weird issues when selecting danish language, though - for some reason Diablo 3 runs much better when having english language selected, but with danish language selected for the console some microstutter-ish behaviour is present. I've been switching language back and forth more than a few times, so the issue is easily replicated. Weird.

Watch the video I just posted for the October update. Your snap issues look like they're going to be solved next month.

It'll reduce the amount of steps I have to go through in order to remove the snapped app, but I still don't like the help to appear as a snapped app. Not a big issue, though.

This is definitely one way MS is creating more and more value for x1. Wonder how long they can keep this up for ? Ultimately would one day like to see x1 completely replace DVRs.
Don't DVRs have tuners? The Xbox One doesn't have tuners.

I'm not a big fan of snapping, it is rather annoying when choosing 'help' in some games snaps help to the right and - without kinect voice commands - you need to go through 3 steps in other to remove the snapped help app.

When an app is snapped you can press B to unsnap it. If you navigate through the app B is first going to take back until the root page, then it will unsnap.

Improved snap control, more snappable apps (friends, messages), controller button combo for recording 30 seconds of gameplay, DLNA + mkv support for the media player and friends section on home.
I had the chance to quickly test out the updated media player yesterday. Seems that DLNA is working fine and the MKV's I threw at it (via DNLA) were of no issue. MKV support (by DNLA, at least) is basic playback only in this release - currently no FF/RR capabilities, chapter skipping, audio stream or subtitle support that I could see as yet, though this is still billed as an early release so we'll see if there are improvements from the functionality side of what the container supports.

I had the chance to quickly test out the updated media player yesterday. Seems that DLNA is working fine and the MKV's I threw at it (via DNLA) were of no issue. MKV support (by DNLA, at least) is basic playback only in this release - currently no FF/RR capabilities, chapter skipping, audio stream or subtitle support that I could see as yet, though this is still billed as an early release so we'll see if there are improvements from the functionality side of what the container supports.

Good to know. I will probably be picking up an X1 soon.
Was there any other issues with other formats?

Microsoft reportedly still working on project to stream Xbox games

That demo showed Halo 4 being streamed and played on a Lumia 520 with Windows Phone 8, along with the same game on a low end PC. Now Neowin, citing unnamed sources, claims a team at Microsoft has the full Xbox 360 dashboard running in a web browser and streaming and playing games made for the console in that browser. The team is also working on bringing in Xbox One games with streaming support.

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-reportedly-still-working-project-stream-xbox-games

Couple notes to this, not sure if Dave had the same experience but MKV's with DTS audio tracks still did not work for me while AC3, AAC, MP3, WAV, etc. audio tracks worked fine. No way that I know of to select secondary tracks. Basic FF/RR, play and pause is there. A button to bring up the controls and/or triggers for FF/RR. Shoulder buttons and/or D-Pad/Thumbstick jumps playback to the next/prev file which can be annoying so be wary. As always your mileage may vary.

Update on October dash, I actually kind of like the new snap center and associated app changes for it. Will take a bit of getting used to but good direction and way more functional. IMO finally surpassing the 360 in some ways. My biggest problem, and this isn't new, and I'm not sure if it's me or my controller, but I have a heck of a time executing a double tap of the home button that registers properly consistently. Mini-guide is proving useful as well. They just need to add the ability to show only favorites.

Good to know. I will probably be picking up an X1 soon.
Was there any other issues with other formats?
I've not tried others as yet.

Couple notes to this, not sure if Dave had the same experience but MKV's with DTS audio tracks still did not work for me while AC3, AAC, MP3, WAV, etc. audio tracks worked fine.

I think that's related to the general funkiness with how the XBOX One handles audio - i.e. it'll output any input in the format that it you selected in the control panel. It seems to me to be best to select 7.1 uncompressed or DTS output in the control panel and any source will be pushed through the channels available in this format, so if the MKV is a 5.1 or 7.1 Dolby/AC3 then the XBOX decodes it and then sends it in uncompressed 7.1 or DTS dependant on your selection.

Thought I'd mention this here, because it was news to me.

I think we're all aware that MS is giving $100 for 360 trade-ins to the purchase of a One, but what I didn't realize until tonight was a couple of things. 1) Any functioning 360 is worth $100. Doesn't need controllers, power cords, A/V input cables or anything. If the box itself functions, it's worth $100. (You don't get anything extra for including the other bits either.) Whether it is the newest slim model with the biggest HDD or the very first Arcade version, they're all worth $100. 2) You don't have to live in an area with a brick and mortar MS store in order to take advantage. You can do it all on-line, they'll give you a pre-paid shipping label and you just box up your old console and ship it off to them. 3) There's no shipping on orders from the MS store, either. You most likely will, however, have to pay tax.

I really think they should have been sending out Live Messages to 360 users so more people migrate sooner to the Xb0x, because the deal is actually pretty damn good. I have an extra 360 that is completely functional but sitting upstairs, collecting dust and not connected to anything while at the same time I'm bemoaning the fact that I think the Xb0x is price too high.

Thought I'd mention this here, because it was news to me.

I think we're all aware that MS is giving $100 for 360 trade-ins to the purchase of a One, but what I didn't realize until tonight was a couple of things. 1) Any functioning 360 is worth $100. Doesn't need controllers, power cords, A/V input cables or anything. If the box itself functions, it's worth $100. (You don't get anything extra for including the other bits either.) Whether it is the newest slim model with the biggest HDD or the very first Arcade version, they're all worth $100. 2) You don't have to live in an area with a brick and mortar MS store in order to take advantage. You can do it all on-line, they'll give you a pre-paid shipping label and you just box up your old console and ship it off to them. 3) There's no shipping on orders from the MS store, either. You most likely will, however, have to pay tax.

I really think they should have been sending out Live Messages to 360 users so more people migrate sooner to the Xb0x, because the deal is actually pretty damn good. I have an extra 360 that is completely functional but sitting upstairs, collecting dust and not connected to anything while at the same time I'm bemoaning the fact that I think the Xb0x is price too high.

I assume this can be combined with the Madden Bundle + $50 mine craft digital gc + free game promotion? If you *wanted* Madden this means that you are paying:

$399 Madden Bundle
-$60 Madden game
-$60 Free Game
-$50 Digital Gift Card
-$100 for 360 trade-in (i think PS3 works as well)
= $130 for Xbox One hardware

They're practically giving them away.

Yeah, but the Madden bundle is out of stock & the only game bundles in stock are the COD & Sunset Overdrive pre-orders. Unless of course you want the $600 Kinect bundle with a Play & Charge Kit & Forza 5.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back