News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently users that subscribed to Gold only for the paywall Netflix/Hulu can cancel and redeem the remainder of the subscription. Technically this is available to anyone, though.

Apparently users that subscribed to Gold only for the paywall Netflix/Hulu can cancel and redeem the remainder of the subscription. Technically this is available to anyone, though.
That's good news, albeit this doesn't apply to me, allowing people to cancel and receive a pro-rate refund for their Gold subscription if they have only used the Xbox mostly for some basic services is a good move.

Xbox One interface will be redesigned around the gamepad:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...-be-redesigned-with-controller-users-in-mind/

Well, I'm a Xbox One user with Kinect and I don't want to sending it back, I like how it works.

lets see how it works once they decrease the system reserve for it and change the ui for better controller use.

I bet its usefulness will decrease not increase

wow, what an attitude change at MS ! Looks like they finally realised they serve the customers ,not rule over them. Thank you competition, please keep each other in check !

Looks like the june update will change a lot of things, and it will add some new features.

Waiting for USB hard drives support.

How's that going to work? Will games that use the freed resource not function with Kinect? Will players of those games have to use a button instead of calling out 'Xbox do stuff'? That'd be a pretty annoying split experience, encouraging the abandonment of voice controls at least in games just in pursuit on consistency.

Any chance these resources are fairly dynamic and a button press can activate voice controls? Could just look at hitting a framerate and accept it drops when voice is in use. TBH voice controls are only active a tiny fraction of the time, so the opportunity to request them as needed makes a lot of sense.

Yah, my guess is the leave voice control alone, but turn off the skeletal tracking for games that don't want it. Azbat mentioned the way the console knows which player is holding the controller, and maybe that's a feature that would be lost in that change.

So automatic walk in and log on will be disabled? Press a button to enable recognition and log on?

Yah, maybe. You turn your console on and you get recognized and log in. Then you start your game and play. Game turns off skeletal tracking, so if someone else walks in the room the game loses the ability to switch profiles when you pass the controller back and forth. Sounds like it's going to be opt-out, so games that want that functionality could still keep it if they want. Most games are single-user games, so it's probably not an issue. How many people really playing COD online and pass the controller back and forth with their buddies? The game doesn't switch users and log the stats to a different player anyway. So basically, it would mostly be the same as is. You'd just have to go back to the home screen to login another person, if you wanted.

How's that going to work? Will games that use the freed resource not function with Kinect? Will players of those games have to use a button instead of calling out 'Xbox do stuff'? That'd be a pretty annoying split experience, encouraging the abandonment of voice controls at least in games just in pursuit on consistency.

New games have the option of killing kinect's functionality and use more resources.

I guess that O.S. voice controls and skeletal tracing can still be used as long as you pause the game first (why wouldn't they?). It's not a terrible setback IMO.

Not that these 10% will ever make any difference when compared to the 2x more ROPs and 1.5x more compute units, though.

MSFT should be really careful not to upset existing users. Imo it is not worth it for a couple % of extra performances to upset the 5 millions users they have at the moment.

The last thing they need when about to launch a cheaper XB1 is actual xb1 owners badmouthing them, especially after all what MSFT went through since the one unveiling.

Yah, maybe. You turn your console on and you get recognized and log in. Then you start your game and play. Game turns off skeletal tracking, so if someone else walks in the room the game loses the ability to switch profiles when you pass the controller back and forth. Sounds like it's going to be opt-out, so games that want that functionality could still keep it if they want. Most games are single-user games, so it's probably not an issue. How many people really playing COD online and pass the controller back and forth with their buddies? The game doesn't switch users and log the stats to a different player anyway. So basically, it would mostly be the same as is. You'd just have to go back to the home screen to login another person, if you wanted.
That makes sense. The releasing of audio doesn't make a great deal of sense considering audio isn't a really console seller (I did try to get someone to provide binaural audio as standard!) so keeping voice controls and freeing up skeletal tracking, barely used, on a per title basis is a good rebalancing of resources. In fact, it's a much better balance than the launch design probably as the skeletal functions are even rarer to need than voice controls. One can log in by pressing a controller button to enable camera, or even have the register player say, "XBox, log in" and have the system re-read who's there.

I guess this is enabled by the realisation that skeletal tracking, emotion reading, etc. in games aren't really going anywhere, save a few niche titles that can optionally enable it and then require Kinect to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back