News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just goes to say that all the naysaying around Kinect happens by the book, no matter how good it can potentially be, the naysaying would never stop..

You kind of started the fire with your op, maybe next time research a bit better before you post?

It would be stupid to make Kinect mandatory in every games, forced and tag on functions are the worst you can do to a console.

Which I do agree with.

Which is why I made my statement. If more developers (the majority), are not using Kinect in their games... I would think this becomes a huge problem for MS. How can MS sale (PR wise) a added device without the proper support of the majority?

It would be stupid to make Kinect mandatory in every games, forced and tag on functions are the worst you can do to a console.

TitanFall as far as I know does not use Kinect and that will be most likely be the best game on XB1 (perhaps across all systems) this year. IMO its better to let developers focus on their strengths rather than force them to add things to a game that compromise resources. TF for example doesn't have a SP campaign, that allowed them to apply those resources to MP and from what we're hearing it was a smart decision.

Which I do agree with.

Which is why I made my statement. If more developers (the majority), are not using Kinect in their games... I would think this becomes a huge problem for MS. How can MS sale (PR wise) a added device without the proper support of the majority?

By releasing a game that utilizes Kinect in a compelling way that ends up being a system seller and then releasing other games that do the same. If these games sell systems then devs will take notice and may increase their Kinect usage in games. MS has utterly failed in this regard so far. Although it's still early in the generation the more time drags on and MS doesn't offer compelling content for Kinect makes me doubt their confidence in the tech as a whole. And with the price tag being $500 the machine is really overpriced without games making use of the reason it's so expensive. But if they can get some games out there and sell some systems then 3rd parties could see money to be made.

And with all this talk of Titanfall I'm going to go ahead and dust mayhap dust off an oldie and play some Virtual On.

It sounds weird doesn't it? Isn't the strength in Kinects voice control it's more precise and simply understands words better than comparable tech? Shouldn't these functions be exposed to every game? Or is it just the xb1 ui that actually has that power?
I thought the strength of Kinect, in terms of voice recognition, was it's ability to pick out a voice in a 3D space (your room) better than competitor tech. If users are using mics then perhaps it's a wash or perhaps PS4 is better.

Has anybody done a level comparison between the underlying voice recognition technology in PlayStation 4 and Xbox One? There are two aspects to the problem: 1) capturing the voice and 2) making sense of it.

I thought the strength of Kinect, in terms of voice recognition, was it's ability to pick out a voice in a 3D space (your room) better than competitor tech. If users are using mics then perhaps it's a wash or perhaps PS4 is better.
This. Kinect can't recognise a voice better than a microphone itself. There's underlying voice recognition software for Kinect which may or may not be better than people are typically using, but that's a software aspect and something that could potentially be written into any voice control. For key-word recognition, I don't think Kinect has an advantage (someone with better experience can contribute here). However, it's pretty much a given that obtaining voice input from a close mic will give a clearer source than obtaining input from a room-wide audio source filtered to a specific location, unless the voice isolation algorithm is pretty much perfect, so its understandable why the developer would think Kinect gives and inferior experience. Using their voice control algorithm as used on PC, Kinect's voice input has a lower overall accuracy than using a headset. And using Kinect's voice detection algorithms may not be possible, or may not provide better results. Certainly this dev doesn't think XB1's voice control can add anything to their game.

Major Nelson did a twitch stream of PvZ Garden Warfare from his Xbox One. Quality looks pretty good. His mic audio screws up sometimes. Also a nice look at an underrated game.

http://www.twitch.tv/majornelson/b/508108676

I wasn't aware One streams twitch at a higher resolution than PS4. 720P vs 540P for PS4 I think.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xb...asts-at-higher-quality-than-ps4/1100-6418088/
Canny Reddit user rotj ran Microsoft spokesperson Larry 'Major Nelson' Hryb's recent stream of Plants versus Zombies: Garden Warfare through the Twitch Analyser, which determined the Xbox One Twitch output is of a greater resolution than that of PlayStation 4.

Major Nelson's stream was broadcast at a resolution of 1280x720, while Twitch streams on PlayStation 4 weigh in at 960x540. Both platforms output at 30fps.

This. Kinect can't recognise a voice better than a microphone itself. There's underlying voice recognition software for Kinect which may or may not be better than people are typically using, but that's a software aspect and something that could potentially be written into any voice control. For key-word recognition, I don't think Kinect has an advantage (someone with better experience can contribute here). However, it's pretty much a given that obtaining voice input from a close mic will give a clearer source than obtaining input from a room-wide audio source filtered to a specific location, unless the voice isolation algorithm is pretty much perfect, so its understandable why the developer would think Kinect gives and inferior experience. Using their voice control algorithm as used on PC, Kinect's voice input has a lower overall accuracy than using a headset. And using Kinect's voice detection algorithms may not be possible, or may not provide better results. Certainly this dev doesn't think XB1's voice control can add anything to their game.

It could be something that they are doing themselves to circumvent the processing software of the Kinect. I read an article last week about MS (in general) and dispelling rumors and myths and one of the biggest efforts they pointed towards was Bing. And how MS has created Bing functionality throughout their smart search features in Windows 8 as well as the main component for contextual recognition in Kinect.

Essentially, the software that drives Bing is the software that drives the voice recognition in Kinect and it's extremely complex and should be vastly superior to that of any individual developer. But if those developers aren't able to integrate that functionality into their games and are using their own algorithms to detect voice, I'd imagine the kinect wouldn't be any better than any other mic.

It could be something that they are doing themselves to circumvent the processing software of the Kinect. I read an article last week about MS (in general) and dispelling rumors and myths and one of the biggest efforts they pointed towards was Bing. And how MS has created Bing functionality throughout their smart search features in Windows 8 as well as the main component for contextual recognition in Kinect.

Essentially, the software that drives Bing is the software that drives the voice recognition in Kinect and it's extremely complex and should be vastly superior to that of any individual developer. But if those developers aren't able to integrate that functionality into their games and are using their own algorithms to detect voice, I'd imagine the kinect wouldn't be any better than any other mic.
Alas, I think it is Microsoft's fault 'cos it's only the whole Internet giving their opinion on Kinect instead of trying to sell the product for the potential it has.

Certainly Microsoft's marketing sucks major balls.:???::???:

See how Xbox One and Kinect could be sold to people focusing on the fortes of the console rather than some of the obvious weaknesses, maybe using buzzwords, but the thing is that they are true.

Hypothetical case:

- SHAPE. "Xbox One can mix thousands of audio tracks and free up CPU resources because of this chip". Some fans would be raging with passion. :smile2:

- Kinect can create animations in games based on your own gestures. :smile2: This is from Project Spark beta, launched today.

http://projectsparkblog.tumblr.com/...t-spark-on-xbox-one-march-4th-release-notes-1

Kinect Recording

The Xbox One beta introduces our Kinect full body, face, and audio recording preview. You can use this feature to make your own animations, machinima, and more.
- What Shifty has said about voice commands in a 3D space. They could sell the Kinect saying that it can capture your voice commands in a 3D environment like your home. :smile2:

Other than the cloud thingy, which is okay, what they actually did was selling the TV, TV, TV features of the console, not to mention engaging in interviews about graphics power where they have more to lose than win. :/ :/ :/ :???:

It is like they are letting the mob say whatever they want when sometimes -maybe not always, but still...- they are certainly wrong.

As a fan of Kinect and similar techs I think the facts will speak for themselves in due time, but right now this is just a carnage.

Last edited by a moderator:
For key-word recognition, I don't think Kinect has an advantage (someone with better experience can contribute here). However, it's pretty much a given that obtaining voice input from a close mic will give a clearer source than obtaining input from a room-wide audio source filtered to a specific location, unless the voice isolation algorithm is pretty much perfect, so its understandable why the developer would think Kinect gives and inferior experience. Using their voice control algorithm as used on PC, Kinect's voice input has a lower overall accuracy than using a headset. And using Kinect's voice detection algorithms may not be possible, or may not provide better results. Certainly this dev doesn't think XB1's voice control can add anything to their game.

It's my impression that Kinect 2 is better at picking up word commands than the ps4, this is purely based on my experience with the ps4 and watching a few of those lol videos. So it couldn't be farther from substantial evidence :)

When Microsoft let's me buy a danish xb1 I will be providing harder facts

A brief tutorial on how to update your Xbox One controller enabling the new tweaks added with the new update that is rolling out today --I will have to update two controllers, although one of them is mostly unused. I am very curious about this one, and I wonder if we are going to notice any difference on the controller's input or it will be a seamless transition. I think it will be the later.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/videos/how-to-update-xbox-one-controller/

A brief tutorial on how to update your Xbox One controller enabling the new tweaks added with the new update that is rolling out today --I will have to update two controllers, although one of them is mostly unused. I am very curious about this one, and I wonder if we are going to notice any difference on the controller's input or it will be a seamless transition. I think it will be the later.

Isn't this really a console first, updating controllers? If so, it's pretty cool.

I mean I certainly dont recall such a thing on 360, let alone any previous consoles. Guess it's just the ability to update the firmware.

When I first heard of Major Nelson, years ago, it was the coolest. He sounded like some kind of secretive Xbox ringleader only the cool kids knew about. With some sort of military connotation.

Of course in time you get used to it and it doesn't even register.

I remember a rant, also years ago, by Sony sympathizer (now works there) Shane Bettenhausen on the 1up yours podcast. He tried to denigrate Nelson by claiming it was unfair that people might not understand he worked for MS. Said things like "If you go to the Sony blog, it's clear that's owned by Sony. Not so with Major Nelson". And "You or I might know Nelson works for MS, but a Grandma wouldn't" :LOL: Maybe the few people familiar with that podcast will smile.

Which reminds me Sony apparently pretty strictly doesn't allow their employees (like Shane) on podcasts much, ironic given their good guy image. So, dont hear from Shane much anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back