News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong Cyan. You are using the IR-Blaster functionality. That is all Xbox One does.

The Xbox One only uses the IR Blaster built into the Kinect sensor. It does not use any HDMI-CEC controls at all. Anyone who says otherwise is confused.

This is not to be confused with the separate/additional IR-blaster than can be plugged in [ http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/live-tv/use-external-ir-with-xbox-one ]
Nuff' said then. I thought it was related to the HDMI-CEC thingy because when I power the console on, the TV turns on too. Besides that, when I switch the console off, then the TV is also put off.

News:

Capcom could be working on a new Dino Crisis and it'd be a Xbox One exclusive.

http://www.geek.com/games/hi-def-dinosaurs-capcom-may-reboot-dino-crisis-for-xbox-one-1586125/

The suggestion that this rumored Dino Crisis reboot could be exclusive is incredibly tenuous.
It definitely is not the most likely thing to happen because it is Capcom and while I've never played Dino Crisis still an exclusive game is not bad --an exclusive in the hand is worth two in the bush. :p

From what I read it might not be exclusive in the end. On another note, the Xbox One update does have improved drivers and connectivity.

http://www.geek.com/games/xbox-one-...lly-improved-drivers-and-multiplayer-1586315/

March update will add Dolby Digital optical output, so you can use your Astros or Turtle Beach headsets if you get the headset adapter. Well, you only need the adapter if you want to be able to chat. For surround headphones, just for audio, the update will have you covered. http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/28/5458244/xbox-one-march-update-dolby-digital-optical-audio

I butchered the headset that came with my Xbox One and made my own adapter by attaching a 2.5mm female jack that my turtle beach chat cable plugs into. Works perfectly :)

Does the surround only works digital out?

I thought MS will use kinect eyes and ears to map the room and xbox analyse the best surround sound effect matrix.

Something like the auto audio calibration that's hidden in Windows 7 and Windows 8 where I can use kinect to automatically improve audio output quality.

Xbox One can start to excel somehow with games like this.

There Came an Echo, a voice-controlled realtime strategy game is going to come out for Xbox One. That's the kind of experience, among others, I'd want to have on the console, as I explained in other threads when talking about an Age of Empires 2 HD controlled with voice commands.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/1/5460606/there-came-an-echo-headed-to-xbox-one-next-year

photo-main.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

There Came an Echo, a voice-controlled realtime strategy game is going to come out for Xbox One. That's the kind of experience, among others, I'd want to have on the console, as I explained in other threads when talking about an Age of Empires 2 HD controlled with voice commands.

http://www.polygon.com/2014/3/1/5460606/there-came-an-echo-headed-to-xbox-one-next-year

photo-main.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

There was a game called Endwar. We know how that went.

Does the surround only works digital out?

I thought MS will use kinect eyes and ears to map the room and xbox analyse the best surround sound effect matrix.

Something like the auto audio calibration that's hidden in Windows 7 and Windows 8 where I can use kinect to automatically improve audio output quality.

Not sure what you're asking, but right now the optical out is DTS only. They're adding Dolby Digital out through Optical. Not sure what the case is with HDMI.

There Came an Echo, a voice-controlled realtime strategy game is going to come out for Xbox One.
What does the developer themselves think of Kinect's voice control?

Iridium said:
"Really, Kinect is just a microphone to us," said Iridium's Jason Wishnov in an email interview with Polygon "We use a regular headset during development, and we expect a lot of people will simply opt to use standard controls. I don't even blame them, really. The Xbox One dash voice commands are bizarrely inconsistent. Our focus remains on the PC, so in that respect, I wouldn't expect the XB1 version to be wildly different. Still, optionally raising your hand to your ear to give a command seems like something we should put in there."
Hardly a strong endorsement.

What does the developer themselves think of Kinect's voice control?

Hardly a strong endorsement.

A couple people hammered the dev in the comments section..."

"You set out to make a voice controlled game…after just commenting that most players don’t want to use voice commands…..and the initial quote mentioned how you disregard the Xbox One’s USP and are more geared toward PC and know that players will use standard controls?

You’re gonna need one hell of a marketing budget to unfuck what comes out of your mouths. I suggest hiring a marketing manager or something."

The developer, Iridium Studios then has a remarkably foolish response,

"Not all Xbox One games use the Kinect, nor should they. Our game is not built from the ground up to use the Kinect; it’s built from the ground up to use voice. Luckily, the Xbox One comes with a microphone, and it just so happens that that microphone is attached to a device called the Kinect. We also did not say “most”, we say “a lot”, which we’re pretty sure is true.

You’re welcome to your opinion, though."

Seems like a clear and concise answer to me. They designed a game for voice control. Desperation had hyped that up be the saviour of kinnect.

Sent from my Xperia Z using Forum Runner

Seems like a clear and concise answer to me. They designed a game for voice control. Desperation had hyped that up be the saviour of kinnect.

The response was bullshit. You have a company that designs a game based on voice control and the only gaming device with built in voice control mechanisms you pan and deride? Then complain when owners of that console call you out you fake like their concerns are not a big deal... He's full of shyt...

The response was bullshit. You have a company that designs a game based on voice control and the only gaming device with built in voice control mechanisms you pan and deride? Then complain when owners of that console call you out you fake like their concerns are not a big deal... He's full of shyt...

XB1 isnt the only platform that comes with a microphone. Secondly, VC isnt exactly a Kinect savior. Its not the function that was selling in. There is a 3D depth camera for a reason. Its what makes it expensive. We are still waiting for those awesome implementations MS has been hyping since Project Natal's revelation. If VC were Kinects hope they could have very well packed a cheaper microphone instead and sell the console cheaper.

The response was that they use voice input, and Kinect doesn't help any more than a headset, even going so far to say that Kinect was less accurate. AFAIK PS4 comes with a headset so could accommodate this game just as well. Point being, it's not a Kinect game. It's an optionally voice controlled game for which Kinect doesn't contribute a great deal unless one is averse to wearing a headset while playing.

It just goes to say that all the naysaying around Kinect happens by the book, no matter how good it can potentially be, the naysaying would never stop.

Had I created Kinect instead of saying Xbox On to power the console on, I’d force people to pray on their knees in front of Kinect and say “Please”. When Kinects detected that position and those words, then the console would turn on. So people would have something to complain about.

Why don’t people complain about the torrential rain, or the snow? There are times in the winter when you need a freakin' dog sled to freakin' go out to the damned mailbox. It’s cold out here. Windy, rainy… my back yard is like Siberia. Those are the things that make sense to complain about the most, not the console...

Kinect doesn't need a saviour because Microsoft have stated so many times that it is indispensable for Xbox One and will always be there, that every time someone asks about a Kinect-less console I wonder how much time is going to pass before they get to the point of sending askers to hell, out of tiredness.

On another note, the new update won't include notifications when a friend goes online --something I don't miss tbh.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Micr...lude-Friend-Online-Notifications-430106.shtml

What should be fixed is the horrible slowness of the installation process for disc games. It can get to up to 4 hours to install a 20GB game.

Since MS doesn't require Kinect functionality across all XB1 games... that automatically creates a fractured developers base of those who use's it and those who don't. Then the problem becomes; which base of the two becomes the majority? And if the majority of game developers overlook using Kinect, then MS has no leg to stand on packaging it, IMHO.

Since MS doesn't require Kinect functionality across all XB1 games... that automatically creates a fractured developers base of those who use's it and those who don't. Then the problem becomes; which base of the two becomes the majority? And if the majority of game developers overlook using Kinect, then MS has no leg to stand on packaging it, IMHO.

No. There is no fracturing in that situation. Everyone has it, so everyone can use it.

It would be stupid to make Kinect mandatory in every games, forced and tag on functions are the worst you can do to a console.

The response was that they use voice input, and Kinect doesn't help any more than a headset, even going so far to say that Kinect was less accurate. AFAIK PS4 comes with a headset so could accommodate this game just as well. Point being, it's not a Kinect game. It's an optionally voice controlled game for which Kinect doesn't contribute a great deal unless one is averse to wearing a headset while playing.

It sounds weird doesn't it? Isn't the strength in Kinects voice control it's more precise and simply understands words better than comparable tech? Shouldn't these functions be exposed to every game? Or is it just the xb1 ui that actually has that power?

If the game is doing it's own voice recognition then sure, Kinect won't matter and the ps4 can compete, but I find that weird...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back