News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IR codes for your brand are found on Live

Oh dear. Does anyone actually have any good experiences with these type of automated "find your IR code" mechanics?

The last few times I've attempted to find my remote by it finding the mute signal, I wasted nearly 6 hours of my life and at the end of it, I was pretty close to throwing the stupid remote out the window.

I've had this experience with the Harmony remote and some other no-name brand. Works great if all you want to get configured is a simple TV (one would think) but neither the Samsung TV I was setting up, nor the new Denon receiver actually worked flawlessly after that. Why most remote makers don't just focus on a learning-function and leave it at that is beyond me. I sincerely hope MS includes a learning abilty to learn the IR actions instead of relying on generic IR codes that probably don't work flawlessly.

I have an IR controller on my Galaxy Note 10.1. Works faultlessly on my Sammy TVs (not that I use it beyond trying it out one time).

I had no issues with my old Logitech Revue Google TV and it's IR Blaster controlling my TV, Cable box and AVR when I was using it. It found the codes automatically and setup looked near identical to what the images posted above for the Xbox One. What brand, what model, test blasted out....did it work? Yes....next.

Definitely looking forward to this feature on the Xbox One.

Oh dear. Does anyone actually have any good experiences with these type of automated "find your IR code" mechanics?

The last few times I've attempted to find my remote by it finding the mute signal, I wasted nearly 6 hours of my life and at the end of it, I was pretty close to throwing the stupid remote out the window.

I've had this experience with the Harmony remote and some other no-name brand. Works great if all you want to get configured is a simple TV (one would think) but neither the Samsung TV I was setting up, nor the new Denon receiver actually worked flawlessly after that. Why most remote makers don't just focus on a learning-function and leave it at that is beyond me. I sincerely hope MS includes a learning abilty to learn the IR actions instead of relying on generic IR codes that probably don't work flawlessly.

I think MS is hoping you have hdmi-cec capable devices to get the best control experience. I think ir codes are a fall back. I guess we will find out this week.

Have not fully caught up, but I don't have a TV. Projector is for display only, and AVR for sound. So I want Xbox On to turn on both basically. Turning off the screen is a bit harder, so I wonder if I can find a solution for that even. Oh well, always the manual way of looking for the remote.

I've just experienced HDMI-CEC first hand this weekend when I got my new TV (old one was HD Ready, and extended color gamut was just about it's sole feature - never thought the difference with my new TV would be this big, and that new TV costs less than half that original TV from late 2006 :D - I think it was released in April, and I bought it in December)

Anyway, works flawlessly and don't ever want to go back now.

Have not fully caught up, but I don't have a TV. Projector is for display only, and AVR for sound. So I want Xbox On to turn on both basically. Turning off the screen is a bit harder, so I wonder if I can find a solution for that even. Oh well, always the manual way of looking for the remote.

There's another IR blaster inside the Kinect camera which should help people with projectors, specifically. It actually surprised me that they thought of that.

I've just experienced HDMI-CEC first hand this weekend when I got my new TV (old one was HD Ready, and extended color gamut was just about it's sole feature - never thought the difference with my new TV would be this big, and that new TV costs less than half that original TV from late 2006 :D - I think it was released in April, and I bought it in December)

Anyway, works flawlessly and don't ever want to go back now.

How does it work? My Samsung 46" is from 2006 also. I have no idea if it'll work.

How does it work? My Samsung 46" is from 2006 also. I have no idea if it'll work.
I have had Samsung TVs til recently and I think for Samsung the option is called Anynet or Anynet+.

My Philips TV features HDMI-CEC under the Easylink name. I really want to control the TV using the console without having to look for the remote.

There are some options in the Easylink feature, one of them called "Easylink Remote Control", "Pixel Plus Link", and another option called "Auto Switch Off Devices". -among others-

It might be useful and fun to use those options in conjunction with other devices.

FK0DBLJFX23VH2L.MEDIUM.jpg

KCRqe7m.jpg

xbox-one-bootup.png

Six hours!?!? :oops:

I don't know how things are in other parts of the world but having played with IR remote controls on UK TVs on a few ancient PDAs I've found that most common TV manufacturers have, at most, about a dozen variations of IR codes. I.e, so once you know it's a Samsung or a Sony set, there are only a few code sets to try.

How do they solve the problem that Games/UI will rely on 60Hz update but TV feeds outside North America/Japan are 50hz even in HD?

How do they solve the problem that Games/UI will rely on 60Hz update but TV feeds outside North America/Japan are 50hz even in HD?

How did they play PAL before? PS3 must have played PAL discs, and both consoles must have had downloadable content that was for the PAL region? Not that informed about those kinds of things.

The Verge says no HDMI-CEC

https://twitter.com/reckless/status/398823592487837696
One thing I had to cut from our big Xbox TV piece: the Xbox One won't support HDMI control of cable boxes, just IR.

So, yeah.

How did they play PAL before? PS3 must have played PAL discs, and both consoles must have had downloadable content that was for the PAL region? Not that informed about those kinds of things.

For PAL DVDs they do change the refresh rate. Pretty jarring if they have to do that everytime you go from game to tv and back

Many TVs support multiple refresh rates, 24hz, 50hz, 60hz, various multiples of these and quite a few are entirely adaptive. It's not like back in the day where US was 320x200 60hz and EUROPE was 320x256 50hz. R.I.P my Commodore 64 :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back