News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the hard drive is going to run short of space for bytes in no time.
People were wanting DD only? we have launch games that take ~50GB, that will take me 11 hours to download at max speed and nearly a week at average speed. we'll be need TB HD's as well

People were wanting DD only? we have launch games that take ~50GB, that will take me 11 hours to download at max speed and nearly a week at average speed. we'll be need TB HD's as well

Small correction, some of us have been dd only for years now :) I can download 50gb in about an hour in crappy internet USA, so presumably the rest of the world can do it quicker than that. Where do you live that it takes you 11 hours? Man that's wild, I've never heard of such slow internet for maybe a decade now. Are you on satellite internet or something like that?

Yes. I was wanting DD only. On my current service tier it would only take me around 105 minutes and if I upgraded it would take only about 46 minutes for the full game. The games are supposed to be playable with only a fraction of that.

This is for crummy cable service in the US and I've heard that the US has substantially slower internet then most or all of Europe. Likely it will only take 15 minutes for someone over there to pull down the entire game with their substantially better internet services.

I'm not sure there was anyone suggesting that there be no way to use a disc as an install medium, not even MS. What many of us wanted was for the disc to *only* be an install medium, so that on the back end the system could act *as if* everything was DD.

I think everyone understands that Steam still has support for retail discs for a reason.

As someone who wants to skip the optical discs alltogether, I better make room for a few USB3 HDDs on the console shelf. (I bought around 160 games for this console gen - 160 * ~35 GB = over 5TB. More than 10 times the size of the internal Xbox One HDD.. granted, over an 8 year long period. Still.. )

As someone who wants to skip the optical discs alltogether, I better make room for a few USB3 HDDs on the console shelf. (I bought around 160 games for this console gen - 160 * ~35 GB = over 5TB. More than 10 times the size of the internal Xbox One HDD.. granted, over an 8 year long period. Still.. )

There is zero reason why you'd have that many games installed at one time, so you'll never get anywhere near that number. DD can background download, you can start play before it completes, and it'll always be available to redownload. I doubt there'll ever be cause for more than a single external drive, if that, except for archival purposes.

There is zero reason why you'd have that many games installed at one time, so you'll never get anywhere near that number. DD can background download, you can start play before it completes, and it'll always be available to redownload. I doubt there'll ever be cause for more than a single external drive, if that, except for archival purposes.

Let's not assume what I want or need. If I want to have every game I bought installed (or at the very least, more than 12-15 AAA titles, that the internal drive can hold), it is possible with external drives.

I'm with you on that one. 50G would take about 5 days to download as long as the connection was used for nothing else every day!

We have satellite are work I could use. That tops out at about 20Mb. But still it would be painful.

Now we're back to arguing what constitutes broadband. Your 1Mbit/s connection doesn't, IMO.
Sadly, there's a textbook definition that states anything above dialups 56 kbps is Broadband. There's no new terminology to describe different higher bandwidths, except the marketing term 'super fast broadband'.

Well, Googlage says BB is actually > 2Mbps. I guess there's room for a length definitions debate after all. :mrgreen:

Sadly, there's a textbook definition that states anything above dialups 56 kbps is Broadband. There's no new terminology to describe different higher bandwidths, except the marketing term 'super fast broadband'.

Well, Googlage says BB is actually > 2Mbps. I guess there's room for a length definitions debate after all. :mrgreen:

It is obviously a moving target. 512Kbit/s DSL was broadband in 2000.

Today, if you can't stream HD video from Youtube (5Mbit/s for 720p, 8Mbit/s for 1080p and still shitty quality) , would you call your connection broadband?

Heck I can't even order less than 10Mbit/s from any of the ADSL provideres here in Denmark, and cable or fiber is significantly faster where available.

Cheers

Anyway it's an option, so...

And my opinion on the status of the one'software: you are all mad.
If there's something that microsoft does well is software, they built the live and now someone is questioning if they are up to doing it for the new console! they promoted crossgame chat on the 360 and now someone is questioning if they will be able to do it again.
I have many doubt on the one, but none about the software.

And my opinion on the status of the one'software: you are all mad.
If there's something that microsoft does well is software
MS software is hit and miss, and they're a huge organisation with lots of different people working on different projects, so good software in one area doesn't mean good software in all areas. They have also released broken, useless OSes just as much as very functional, stable ones, and so there's certainly room in MS's pedigree for any console OS to have issues.

...they built the live
And if we were just getting Live again, no-one would question it. But the question mark comes with a change of management and targets, and the possibility that managerial decisions have dropped the working system and put in place a system that isn't ideal yet. Case in point - I used to use MS Messenger to chat with friends. It was pretty flawless, although later changes by MS did add pointless bloat. But then they ditched it and went to Skype. Skype is fairly buggy for me and my friends. The latest updates don't crash (it used to BSOD my Win7 PC), but we don't always receive messages and can't group chat always. So that's real-world example of MS taking a working system and replacing it with a less stable system. It's not such a stretch to see the same thing happening with XB1, with MS deciding to drop the Live chat system that works and replace it with another that isn't working yet.

Is it broken? Dunno, that's the rumour. Could it be broken? Yes, that's a possibility. Will it be fixed if broken. Yes, at some point. However, MS isn't a company with an impeccable track record that puts them outside the realm of such issues. I don't know any company with such a track record that we can trust they are never affected by technical issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back