News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 12gb ddr3 was something Microsoft was very close to doing,and the only reason they didn't is because of the upclocks and they got better efficiency from the flash and esram!That is 100% fact! < ... >
Not sure if this is supposed to be parody, but in case it's not, I'd like to point out that a period (".") is not inserted by pressing shift-1.

Also, less posting of absolute statements without links to back them up, please.

I don't think there are any hardware problems with the XB1. A lot of work was put into ensuring that there wasn't.

Playing "devil's advocate" if the new 'mono/mantle' API is pushing GPU utilization higher, then logically it will also be generating new heat. (there's a similar concern on the PS4 - 'free compute' does not include 'free cooling for that compute').

But at this stage it's very much a case of wait and see. No-one's going to change their ordering decision on a vague rumour, and even CBOAT seems to suggest that his rumour won't make any sense until after the launch of the console. (which makes it a rather useless rumour to discuss).

Playing "devil's advocate" if the new 'mono/mantle' API is pushing GPU utilization higher, then logically it will also be generating new heat.
You'd think that, but it's not really the case. Why? Because for starters, A: mantle is only intended/an improvement for PCs, because PC OS has a thick abstraction layer between games software and the actual hardware. Consoles with software APIs (starting with 3D accelerated consoles really) have a much thinner layer due to the fact all hardware is uniform. Every playstation, xbox and so on is functionally identical to each other so there's no need for the abstraction stuff of PCs. Mantle do away with much of the abstraction because AMD knows the architecture of its own hardware.

Also, B: without mantle, programmers seek to limit the number of processor-expensive draw calls by batching together huge number of triangles to maximise GPU utilization without banging into a CPU-limited ceiling. All mantle really does is not enable anything new, but rather greatly reduce the price (in CPU cycles) of a draw call, so that you can afford more of them, in a more flexible manner, without maxing out your CPU cores.

So result with mantle is, you get the same amount of heat, but in a more flexible way.

(there's a similar concern on the PS4 - 'free compute' does not include 'free cooling for that compute').
There's no need for any such concern, as the cooling is dimensioned for the maximum thermal output of the circuitry.

even CBOAT seems to suggest that his rumour won't make any sense until after the launch of the console. (which makes it a rather useless rumour to discuss).
I'd venture a guess and say it's useless and a waste of time discussing it regardless of when you discuss it, pre- or post-launch, because it sounds completely bogus. Someone's getting a kick out of making up a the-sky-is-falling doomsday scenario because those tend to self-perpetuate easily across the web. Negativity always gets a lot more attention, unfortunately. A common human failing, I'm afraid.

Playing "devil's advocate" if the new 'mono/mantle' API is pushing GPU utilization higher, then logically it will also be generating new heat. (there's a similar concern on the PS4 - 'free compute' does not include 'free cooling for that compute').

Mono is not an API. It is the name MS has given to their Xbox One specific DX11.2 driver. On the DX blog today they also made it emphatically clear that Mantle is not supported on Xbox One.

Someone could say that they brought it upon themselves ...

Well I would say that they made the classic mistake of assuming people had a brain and the capacity of logical thinking. Their original policies were phenomenally forward thinking and very consumer friendly. However, it seems the world was incapable of grasping that fact

Well I would say that they made the classic mistake of assuming people had a brain and the capacity of logical thinking. Their original policies were phenomenally forward thinking and very consumer friendly. However, it seems the world was incapable of grasping that fact

Or, as it was, MS were incapable of getting that message over in a way that didn't make them sound anti-gamer, anti-consumer, and pro-big brother.

They shot themselves in the foot with a carefully crafted sequence of PR blunders and contradictory messages, to the point that even the mainstream press were reporting on such an orchestrated failure!

Hasn't amd implied that mantle will end up in some form in both console to help portings?

I think MS has confirmed that the XB1 won't support mantle. Which is a given as it directly competes with DirectX, so there is no way they can support it's use.

Or, as it was, MS were incapable of getting that message over in a way that didn't make them sound anti-gamer, anti-consumer, and pro-big brother.

They shot themselves in the foot with a carefully crafted sequence of PR blunders and contradictory messages, to the point that even the mainstream press were reporting on such an orchestrated failure!

They weren't able to get the message across because the message was crap in itself. They have every chance to do all the positive things that was included in their original policy. Except it won't cover physical distribution.

And they should, it would move dd forward and hopefully the people who make the laws would be forced to protect the consumers.

What are you talking about ?? They wouldn't let me sell , trade or lend MY games without going into a tedious process and they wanted me to phone my parole officer every day since i was considered a criminal .You call that " phenomenally forward thinking and very consumer friendly" ? And don't let me start on their weak excuse of a hardware . It is practices like these that made me to not want to have any more business with them , ever .

What are you talking about ?? They wouldn't let me sell , trade or lend MY games without going into a tedious process and they wanted me to phone my parole officer every day since i was considered a criminal .You call that " phenomenally forward thinking and very consumer friendly" ? And don't let me start on their weak excuse of a hardware . It is practices like these that made me to not want to have any more business with them , ever .

Posts like this underline Cranky's point.

Cheers

They wanted to let me freely share and even trade DD games. Something I can't really do now. All that was required was an internet connection, and I have one of those.

I hope they can implement those policies at some point.

They wanted to let me freely share and even trade DD games. Something I can't really do now. All that was required was an internet connection, and I have one of those.

I hope they can implement those policies at some point.

I fully agree, and now I am bit wary of how multiple consoles under the same roof are going to work. With the removal of the family plan I am still a bit confused on how I need to plan for five consoles.

So you can add me to the camp that liked the old plan and understood it. (not to open back old debates, but you can't implement a digital trading system without being able to verify ownership rights across several consoles)

Last edited by a moderator:

hunh? You could easily lend/trade your games. More easily in fact than now.

hunh? You could easily lend/trade your games. More easily in fact than now.

a lot of people didn't bother to read what was going on and followed forum talking points. Its quite sad really that we have lost a great feature due to people not taking a few seconds to understand what was happening .

Xbox one original DRM would allow you to buy physical / DD games and have them both treated as DD (like steam) it would allow you to sell a copy of a game to participating retailers or you could do 1 private sale with a physical copy. It would also allow you to share a game with up to 10 friends.

I really miss those features and its the lack of them that caused me to cancel my preorder

No one was able to explain the new scheme coherently originally. Not even the MS execs when they were asked simple questions point blank.

It took them some time to put something together for the public. By then it was already too late.

That was the key problem.

a lot of people didn't bother to read what was going on and followed forum talking points. Its quite sad really that we have lost a great feature due to people not taking a few seconds to understand what was happening .

Xbox one original DRM would allow you to buy physical / DD games and have them both treated as DD (like steam) it would allow you to sell a copy of a game to participating retailers or you could do 1 private sale with a physical copy. It would also allow you to share a game with up to 10 friends.

I really miss those features and its the lack of them that caused me to cancel my preorder

Original XBOX DRM required always on took away basic consumer rights the extra value gained by tradeable DD (if allowed, no one really knows just how that would work) was nothing.

I think we have a thread for this, lets go there if anyone is up for defending the shitty policy Microsoft proposed.

a lot of people didn't bother to read what was going on and followed forum talking points.
The former discussion shows a lot of uncertainty, even past the change when MS were talking about what the service would have been, such as whether only one game at a time could be loaned out, or each game loaned to one person. Which all came about because MS failed to communicate properly. One can point fingers at people not reading properly, or misinterpreting, but the responsibility of communicating one's intentions falls on the communicator. MS should have found a good way to communicate in a non-ambiguous, positive fashion. And I even explained how I'd have done it. The XB1 announcement should have been accompanied by a lifestyle video showing all the services and features in use and how everyone benefits. It would not have been hard to communicate clearly and in a fashion that'd meet far less resistance. MS just completely screwed up this platform prior to release. IMO there's no point trying to defend it. The sane thing is to learn from it (similar to learning from Sony's screw-ups last gen). Lesson to everyone - formulate your vision and communicate it in a clear, YouTube generation format.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back