News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Penello on Neogaf said he was going to get some engineers together and answer a lot of the tech questions/rebuttals to his tech posts/trolling from GAF.

So cant wait for that. Unfortunately he said it may take a "few weeks" and they havent decided what format (he thinks neogaf is a bad format, threads move too fast/his replies get lost).

A conspiracy theorist might think "few weeks" is to wait for Volcanic Islands NDA to end. More likely as someone posted, it's to get approval from various departments to talk about various infos.

Anyway it definitely appears Penello/Microsoft wants to do more tech "deep dives" as he calls them. Just a question of when they happen.

how different is volcanic islands from sea and southern islands?

But what if that 30% means that this is as good as it gets? Nothing will ever look better on this platform?

Even with that 30% you will find some cases where Xbox One will have some things better.

Anyway, I don't believe that 30% will mean "1080p vs 720p" or "60fps vs 30fps" (or both) as some people believe.

Major mentioned he was still under a NDA, so I assume Al is as well. One could tie this into the alleged AMD NDA, and guess that the crappy answers are truly a band-aid due to missing pieces that make it all make sense. Can new tech actually make it make sense?

Originally AMD was going to unveil this new VI line months ago but delayed, what if that is related to the poor tech messaging. Just a theory for a conspiracy theory I guess, but maybe has bits of truth.

Nothing's been stated so far, other than unsupported claims of significant changes.
The new changes in the "Sea Islands" ISA document would be the more recent version of GCN to compare Volcanic Islands to, if they are separate architectures.
The assigning of names and designations is so fluid and arbitrary that I'm waiting for something official, and then waiting for the chance to verify what is officially stated.

Even with that 30% you will find some cases where Xbox One will have some things better.

Anyway, I don't believe that 30% will mean "1080p vs 720p" or "60fps vs 30fps" (or both) as some people believe.
Maybe Microsoft is using their advanced features as part of their API, and all games get a boost from that. On the opposite side, none of the PS4 launch games are using Async Compute yet nor any of their GPU modifications designed to maximize ALU usage. It could make launch game very close.

Sorry, you've lost my dumb ass.

I wasn't referring to an absolute performance advantage relative to PS4 as both have 2 triangle setup units. I was talking about an advantage in terms of keeping CUs busy (see ERPs post I was replying to). Triangle setup seems to scale with CU count on larger GPUs, and I'm guessing that there is a balancing act where you decide on a typical workload for a GPU over it's competitive lifespan and set the CU to triangle setup/rasterisation rates accordingly (taking into account die area and power consumed etc).

It's interesting that MS have gone for so few CUs relative to triangle setup in an almost "2 x APU" way (while Sony have gone for more of a "discreet GPU" ratio).

Is this simply a quirk of how the systems were developed or does it hint at a difference in how they see GPU workloads evolving over the coming years?
You might note there's been no AMD part with > 10 CUs that has a single triangle setup rate. So they're near the knee of the curve.

My original comment was saying it's not an advantage to have higher CU utilization if you are feeding the same 2 prim/clock fixed function pipeline and are able to keep them fed. Shader utilization isn't the goal when it comes to geometry processing. Ensuring the fixed function logic doesn't starve is the goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not official:

GCN1.0: S.I. implementation, basic features
GCN1.1: C.I. implementation, multi queue compute, system unified addressing, device unified addressing, support for unaligned memory accesses, new debug features
GCN2.0: V.I. implementation, ... what I know: basic features for system integration, new compute instructions, dynamic parallelism"
From a member of anandtech forum.

Interesting blurb in todays MS NPD PR:

Thanks to the tremendous interest and support from our fans, after 12 weeks on the market, pre-order sales of Xbox One are still trending as double that of Xbox 360 during the same time period. As a result of this incredible demand, a limited number of additional Xbox One Day One consoles are now available for pre-order.

I wonder if we can expect double sales too then? 600k-ish?

Either way I think supply is much better for next gen launch.

Rangers its my understanding with them pulling out of a few markets in Europe this year , they had more units they could allocate for NA and Europe.

Dispite what you hear on forums , the xbox one is selling very well preorder wise.

If you're counting preorders for the 360 you would need to include some numbers through January 2006 when they were still filling them.

600k is not a bad number for launch... that's almost double what 360 had right?

If they can sell 1m by end of the year, that's a decent start.

600k is not a bad number for launch... that's almost double what 360 had right?

If they can sell 1m by end of the year, that's a decent start.

Yes, since they said preorders are double I'm wondering if sales will be double. But it's total speculation on my part.

I'd be shocked if they dont beat 360 launch though.

There's still a NDA to deal with. Take a look at what Larry Hryb (aka Major Nelson) wrote in NeoGaf forum
One more thing before I head off for my nightly Xbox One play session: I will respect what NeoGaf is over here and won't roll in spouting empty marketing buzzwords or phrases. I'll try to answer questions as directly as I can with respect to my NDA.
If I can't answer anything, I'll keep my mouth shut. As a gamer and member of the gaming industry, I am really excited for this Holiday and what great gaming it will bring.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80747429&postcount=1201

What is the NDA all about?

He could mean an NDA he's signed with his employer.
It might be okay to talk about it because it's already assumed you can't talk about business internals.

I wouldn't think he'd personally have an NDA with AMD, rather it would fall under the list of things his employer would consider internal.

Major Nelson tweeted the "very first Xbox One off the assembly line"

Odd, it's green. I guess people speculate this is the non day 1 edition.

2nv.png

At first glance I like the black day one edition packaging better, but I dunno after a bit I kinda like the green too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back