News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point back in june, a dev said the power difference was 40% overall, and with the 800 to 853 upclock that difference would scale down to 30%. Maybe that's why Penello is using that number. Or maybe there are things we don't know. Never forget, there are things we don't know. Always be scared and doubtful. Let insecurities take hold. Fear the differences. *jedi hand wave*

Not sure if serious.
Hint -it's a multi billion dollar industry and I assume the Dev kits have been in a lot of third party hands already

I can tell you that when I worked for Sony, I left a few weeks ago, if anyone did have access to a XB1 dev kit, they were very quiet about it. And I think it's likely that I would have heard at least second or third hand.

For the most part the first definitive info we got on XB1 was VGLeaks stuff, just like everyone else. We certainly did get leaks from 3rd parties, for example confirming the RAM amount, and suggestions that we would have an advantage in compute, but I doubt any would be stupid enough to give Sony an XB1 devkit. I would assume that the same would be true on the other side of the fence.

I just don't think the risk for that sort of industrial espionage is worth while, by the time your competitor has real devkits available, your not going to be able to respond in any real way, so what's the point.

I would suggest as others have stated, panello was just stating that the obvious Flop advantage doesn't necessarily translate directly to a similar performance gap.

I can tell you that when I worked for Sony, I left a few weeks ago, if anyone did have access to a XB1 dev kit, they were very quiet about it. And I think it's likely that I would have heard at least second or third hand.

For the most part the first definitive info we got on XB1 was VGLeaks stuff, just like everyone else. We certainly did get leaks from 3rd parties, for example confirming the RAM amount, and suggestions that we would have an advantage in compute, but I doubt any would be stupid enough to give Sony an XB1 devkit. I would assume that the same would be true on the other side of the fence.

I just don't think the risk for that sort of industrial espionage is worth while, by the time your competitor has real devkits available, your not going to be able to respond in any real way, so what's the point.

I would suggest as others have stated, panello was just stating that the obvious Flop advantage doesn't necessarily translate directly to a similar performance gap.

Especially if you take into the account the rumors that the reason UBIsoft hasn't shown a lot of Xbox One game footage is due to the fact that Microsoft has limited UBIsofts access to devkits (rumor being that UBIsoft got them later than other publishers) due to leaks that happened when the Xbox 360 was in development.

No clue if those rumors are true or not, but even if it isn't true. Publishers certainly wouldn't want to put themselves into that position with either console manufacturer.

Regards,
SB

Still staying in the gaming world ERP?

He never said PS4 had a 30% advantage.

He said your crazy if you think we would give up a 30% advantage.
30%+ figure comes from the general internet consensus, and they got it from the leaks. He used the figure that the net is using.
He was talking about what people seem to believe, not that he believed it had that advantage, be it in specs or in actual use.

He was saying, regardless he doesn't believe that in use there will be that level of disparity that people expect to see based on the internet power disparity.

He wasn't saying there's a magic chip in there, but he was also not saying that there is a 30% advantage either.

I wonder if people actually listen to what he said, or read other peoples interpretation and run with that?

He never said PS4 had a 30% advantage.

He said your crazy if you think we would give up a 30% advantage.

Of course he doesn't have any choice in the matter either :smile: I mean he knows what his system can do but not what the competition can do. It also depends on the games as well and what devs are willing to do with either system. He can make the statement but whether it can be backed up is out of his hands at this point.

Of course he doesn't have any choice in the matter either :smile: I mean he knows what his system can do but not what the competition can do. It also depends on the games as well and what devs are willing to do with either system. He can make the statement but whether it can be backed up is out of his hands at this point.
So your agreeing with him when he said, see the games on both systems for yourself.
Or you just trying to get a rise out of people on here? :rolleyes:

I'm not actually agreeing that the speed difference exists in the real world. I was trying to point out that, considering the absolute balls up that MS has made of the xbone launch with extra helpings of PR gaffs, going on record and 'confirming' that MS acknowledge a deficit in speed was probably not the brightest thing to do.

He might as well day that the xbone gives you cancer and the PS4 is made of rainbows.

But MS haven't acknowledged any official performance difference and are disputing any and all differences in performance claimed. There's a major difference between them saying "Yes, XB1 is less powerful" and "Do you think we'd give up performance?"

But MS haven't acknowledged any official performance difference and are disputing any and all differences in performance claimed. There's a major difference between them saying "Yes, XB1 is less powerful" and "Do you think we'd give up performance?"

Yes. Yes there is. But not to the general internet forumites and twitterati out there. He would have been better off not saying anything at all.

So your agreeing with him when he said, see the games on both systems for yourself.
Or you just trying to get a rise out of people on here? :rolleyes:

Games are the big thing of course but logically once the console was designed whatever differences in power ( however defined ) is out of one's hands. Panello doesn't know what Sony can do and visa-versa. That is why I say he can't back up his claim although the future may well indeed.

Both companies will be looking for leverage with devs of course so that games will be optimized for either platform assuming we are talking about multi-platform games. There are differences to be exploited in the first place but a developers intention will be the biggest variable.

Of course millions of people won't care about the differences because they won't notice them so at the end of the day the differences might not matter at all.

*AHEM* This is not a versus thread, so don't go bringing versus material into it. It never ends well for those who do in the console forums. Thanks.

Yes. Yes there is. But not to the general internet forumites and twitterati out there. He would have been better off not saying anything at all.

On that I completely agree. There simply is no way of convincing certain crowds through words alone. You need to show them. Any attempt to talk to them on their home turf will never end well. Just chalk this up to yet another MS misstep. It's as if they are completely oblivious to the ways of the internet.

Ok, but it came from a person working in a development group, not a false news or something like this. I think it is on topic.

EDIT: I know it is not a versus, I don't want a versus war, I gues it was it was worthy. Sorry.

No. It is not on topic. This is not a versus thread.

Yeah, unfortunately with material like that it will devolve into pure flat-out versus talk.

Though for what it's worth, it seems like Adrian has jumped into the GAF thread and is attempting to do damage control by putting additional qualifiers on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back