News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't put too much stock in the report of a random poster in TeamXbox in this case without knowing the actual quote.

News:

Dying Light developers say they prefer the Xbox One as a console http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?p=14057416

Let's take a step back here. This is a forum poster recounting his experiences of Gamescon, including who he spoke to. What he said was:

BigKabuto said:
At Warner Bros. we interviewed the dev and then played Dying Light. There was a X1 and PS4 build and i played the X1 build. I didn't know this beforehand and automatically thought this was running off PC. But when i asked ''About the next-gen consoles...how do they look and run compared to this?'' and then he said that i actually had been playing the X1 build. He also said that they prefer the X1 as a console over the PS4.

When pressed on what this meant by other forum posts, he said:

BigKabuto said:
I didn't ask much about it when he said that, but basically they like the X1 more. Maybe in terms of how to develop for it, or maybe they have some features that are only for X1 and just cant talk about it. I honestly don't know, but i did like that he said it and i didn't want to leave it out in this. :)

Don't get me wrong, I can imagine how cross-platform devs working on a PC version would prefer Xbox One, and Dyling Light looks amazing, but let's not report second hand accounts posted on console-specific forums as "news" eh ;)

The most interesting news I saw this week was Phil Harrison's interview with C&VG, where there was this exchange:

Phil Harrison said:
C&VG said:
A quick word on Kinect - I presume there will never be an Xbox One sold without it. You are doing this for developer-related reasons as much as your own. You want all developers to know that they can always implement Kinect technology because it always comes with every system. Would that be correct?

Correct. Xbox One is Kinect. They are not separate systems. An Xbox One has chips, it has memory, it has Blu-ray, it has Kinect, it has a controller. These are all part of the platform ecosystem.

What we have shown really well at Gamescom is the magic of games that use Kinect. We have shown the power of voice control

I've seen no coverage of Kinect-powered or Kinect-enhanced games, does anybody know what games he's talking about?

Let's take a step back here. This is a forum poster recounting his experiences of Gamescon, including who he spoke to. What he said was:

When pressed on what this meant by other forum posts, he said:

Don't get me wrong, I can imagine how cross-platform devs working on a PC version would prefer Xbox One, and Dyling Light looks amazing, but let's not report second hand accounts posted on console-specific forums as "news" eh ;)

The most interesting news I saw this week was Phil Harrison's interview with C&VG, where there was this exchange:

I've seen no coverage of Kinect-powered or Kinect-enhanced games, does anybody know what games he's talking about?

Kinect sport 3 , project spark (motion capture bits) . These stood out to me as pretty great implementations of kinect

This is taken from the IGN AMA (Ask MS Anything) that they have been doing for a few weeks.

Will Xbox One have any TV DVR functionality? Or is the DVR just for games?

WHITTEN: It’s easy to use your current DVR with Xbox One. Our focus is on making the TV experience great – with favorite channels, voice control (including play, pause, fast forward and rewind with your DVR) and more. This is an area where you’ll see us drive more innovation over the years to come.

I would still like for someone to ask for Media Center info, so I can start planning already. At the very least if I can train the X1 like a Harmony remote I can train in the Media Center keyboard/remote. Even if they allowed this I could make the system work via HDMI in.

Full AMA is here, mostly boring -- http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

More DVR details

http://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/ten-reasons-to-love-the-xbox-one-operating-system-6413655/

"Without any input from the player, Xbox One automatically records the last 30 minutes of gameplay. With the simple command, “Xbox, upload video”, the video upload app snaps to the screen and allows you to choose any five minute stretch from the last 30 minutes of gameplay to upload for friends and followers. Though the Xbox One is locked to 1080p at 60 frames per second, the file that’s uploaded to your live account is a 720p file at 30 FPS. The video bitrate is unknown at the moment, but it appeared clear and free of any noticeable compression artifacts during the Gamescom demo. It’s also unclear how many videos users will be able to store in their live account."

It would be nice to turn this off if you've attached your own recording device such as the elgato game capture hd. Since the system allows you to attach your own capture device you can record however much you want, edit however you want, and upload to whatever service you want.

I think resolution is not locked to 1080p max.

I like the DVr functions.

This is taken from the IGN AMA (Ask MS Anything) that they have been doing for a few weeks.

I would still like for someone to ask for Media Center info, so I can start planning already. At the very least if I can train the X1 like a Harmony remote I can train in the Media Center keyboard/remote. Even if they allowed this I could make the system work via HDMI in.

Full AMA is here, mostly boring -- http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/05/ask-microsoft-anything-about-xbox-one

I hate it when they dont answer the question but instead use the question as an opportunity to give us a PR shower :mad:

I hate it when they dont answer the question but instead use the question as an opportunity to give us a PR shower :mad:

I thought it was pretty clear. The Xbox One won't be doing the TV DVR, it'll be enhancing the existing DVR you have by using the Xbox One and Kinect to control it.

If the Xbox One can act as a universal remote control I may just pick one up after all. I wonder if they will have the device configuration for controlling a Windows PC through IR. That might be nifty.

Regards,
SB

I thought it was pretty clear. The Xbox One won't be doing the TV DVR, it'll be enhancing the existing DVR you have by using the Xbox One and Kinect to control it.

If the Xbox One can act as a universal remote control I may just pick one up after all. I wonder if they will have the device configuration for controlling a Windows PC through IR. That might be nifty.

Regards,
SB

While it itself may not be a DVR, I hope it can become a proper receiver/stub for a DVR. I have one DVR at home, but I can pause live TV and access recorded shows on any other TV (over 802.11n) on Uverse. A similar setup is available on the DirectTV with the Genie DVR (not wireless) though. I'd be very happy if I could save the $7 a month I have to pay for the additional receiver and use the Xbox instead. Cost of live would be instantly offset.

While it itself may not be a DVR, I hope it can become a proper receiver/stub for a DVR. I have one DVR at home, but I can pause live TV and access recorded shows on any other TV (over 802.11n) on Uverse. A similar setup is available on the DirectTV with the Genie DVR (not wireless) though. I'd be very happy if I could save the $7 a month I have to pay for the additional receiver and use the Xbox instead. Cost of live would be instantly offset.

Sounds like something like that should be possible to do with an app sending the commands over 802.11n. In theory DirectTV, Uverse, Microsoft, or whoever could release such an app.

Regards,
SB

Sounds like something like that should be possible to do with an app sending the commands over 802.11n. In theory DirectTV, Uverse, Microsoft, or whoever could release such an app.

Regards,
SB

Yes, MS actually did this with the 360. But the 360 has no low power state and boot-up from power off was infinitely longer than hitting power on a settop box. I think the X1 is very well suited for this.

More DVR details

http://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/ten-reasons-to-love-the-xbox-one-operating-system-6413655/

"Without any input from the player, Xbox One automatically records the last 30 minutes of gameplay. With the simple command, “Xbox, upload video”, the video upload app snaps to the screen and allows you to choose any five minute stretch from the last 30 minutes of gameplay to upload for friends and followers. Though the Xbox One is locked to 1080p at 60 frames per second, the file that’s uploaded to your live account is a 720p file at 30 FPS. The video bitrate is unknown at the moment, but it appeared clear and free of any noticeable compression artifacts during the Gamescom demo. It’s also unclear how many videos users will be able to store in their live account."

It would be nice to turn this off if you've attached your own recording device such as the elgato game capture hd. Since the system allows you to attach your own capture device you can record however much you want, edit however you want, and upload to whatever service you want.

So they actually record 30 minutes, and the 5 minutes figure is just a upload limitation?

I wouldn't take the word of a guy who, in the same paragraph, is claiming the Xbox One is always running 1080p at 60fps. He doesn't provide any source for this information so I think he's probably just confused about the actual figures.

Nov 8th for the xbox one ?

ku-xlarge.jpg

http://kotaku.com/the-xbox-one-might-be-out-on-november-8-1204282442

Looks like I(we?) was wrong about WiFi Direct. Looks like it's only for Smartglass according to Major Nelson. The controller is still using a proprietary wireless tech. Bleh! Guess all that crap about the 5.1 headset audio was crap? Anybody have the original source where we got the WiFi Direct info? I'd like to post it to Major Nelson to see if he can find out for sure.

Major Nelson said:
The Xbox One controller does not use WiFi Direct for any of it's communication. The controller uses a proprietary wireless communication protocol that is optimized for gameplay and voice chat.
Xbox One does support WiFi Direct but that is for things like SmartGlass

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/1l5rhj/wifi_direct_for_controller/cbw26g1?context=3

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back