News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kinect is great tech why would anyone in there right mind want it taken out of the picture .
Its already showing some cool features in kinect sport rivals and in this video for project spark .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KeJ8FufwexQ

Now how cool is that putting your own motion capture and voice into your own little game .
I can see this tech turning up in AAA first person shooters your avatar is you as well as in role playing games as well .
Imagine doing your own motion capture winning taunt beats tea bagging any day of the week :) :) :) :)

UI writeup, not a ton of details but it sounds great

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/21/4643746/microsoft-previews-xbox-one-dashboard-gamescom-2013

One quote is "Your Xbox One will pretty much double as a Harmony remote", which is awesome, cause I been thinking about buying one of those, but they are too pricey :LOL:

There's good news for home theater enthusiasts, too. Microsoft is taking advantage of the console's IR blaster in a big way. The Xbox One can control individual components of your living room setup — a TV, receiver, etc. — recognizing commands like "Xbox, volume up" to make quick changes. The configuration process reportedly resembles that of a Harmony remote; you simply search for a device in your home theater chain rather than dealing with codes or other cumbersome menus.

Most don't have very efficient control of their living room gadgets. I've got everything plugged into an AV receiver/amplifier. It's fairly cumbersome with at least 3 remotes.

XBone does seem awesome. We'd get more use of the TV. It will be neat if the console automatically loads a profile with the camera and accepts Smartglass control from any specific user, with minimal faff.

A universal remote with natural language and gesture support. It'll be pretty nifty regardless of anyones pants. Switching to check the football scores while playing a game becomes a little more star trek.

I don't know why they've put a headset in the box, seems a waste. It looks fairly cheap though.

Once again a blow to yield issues:

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/gamestop-forecasting-largest-console-launch-in-history-6413492

GameStop president Tony Bartel said the company's launch allocations for the Xbox One and PS4 are "much stronger" relative to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. He said GameStop expects a "significant increase" in launch quantities for both platforms.

Seems about what I'd expect, quantities seem relatively high. And the Sony announcement of 1m+ preorders at a glance suggests more stock of PS4 than PS3/360 had.

Wonder if any active controllers will also use their IR to blast at the same time to make up for Kinect being pointed away from the devices. I can't see Kinect working properly in every room shape 100% of the time. I know there is an optional/included IR blaster port, but since the controllers have IR as well..hmmm?

I still need at least a 50' Kinect v2 extension cable to make my setup work, otherwise Kinect will just be watching the TV and probably never work correctly - or if I can make it think the ceiling fan is me then that could work for the auto login.

Wonder if any active controllers will also use their IR to blast at the same time to make up for Kinect being pointed away from the devices. I can't see Kinect working properly in every room shape 100% of the time. I know there is an optional/included IR blaster port, but since the controllers have IR as well..hmmm?

I still need at least a 50' Kinect v2 extension cable to make my setup work, otherwise Kinect will just be watching the TV and probably never work correctly - or if I can make it think the ceiling fan is me then that could work for the auto login.

Xbox controllers don't use IR. They use radio frequency transmitters.

Regards,
SB

Xbox controllers don't use IR. They use radio frequency transmitters.

Regards,
SB

There is either an IR sensor or IR emitter on the controller. It's either sending a pulse to Kinect or Kinect is sending a pulse to it. It has to do with the feature where you can pass the controller and it will recognize who is holding it.

Oh the new ones for Xbox One. Yes. But I don't think it's anything too complex.

Regards,
SB

No, I agree. I think the KISS principle here is use the IR blaster in cases where Kinect can't control the equipment correctly. I just can't remember if they are including one or not.

Is there any word on if Xbox One is able to play the content from a DVR or is it strictly live television? It would be pretty awesome if I could access DVR content from the Xbox One even if it doesn't do the recording.

Finally, we saw how the in-game video recording functionality works. It has been known for a while that the Xbox One will constantly record the last 30 seconds of gameplay. Well, if you say "Xbox record that" at any point while playing, it will render those last 30 seconds in 720p video to be posted wherever you like. And you can view it first before sending, while the game pauses.

30 seconds only?

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123...rst-look-at-the-new-console-s-user-experience

Uhm, i recall reading an earlier news clip that it was the last 7 minutes.

Found this bit about it being 5 minutes and the 30 seconds being the quick-save functionality for later editing/uploading -- http://videogamesandnews.com/ps4-vs-xbox-one-built-in-game-dvr-live-streaming-features/

Xbox One

• Records last 5 Minutes of gameplay
  • Upload Studio built into the console that you can access to edit and share with social media networks.
  • Live Stream service (Twitch.tv)
  • Can say “Xbox Record That” during gameplay to have the Xbox automatically record the last 30 seconds of gameplay and save it for you to edit later. This allows you to continue playing the game without interruption, but still have your clip saved.
And here's a blurb saying its 5 minutes -- http://uk.gamespot.com/news/xbox-one-records-last-5-minutes-of-gameplay-6411844

Microsoft has revealed that the Xbox One is capable of recording the last five minutes of gameplay through its new game DVR feature.

"It's called Project Upload. So the idea is you're always recording," Microsoft Studios creative director Ken Lobb told GameSpot at Comic-Con. "So we have a ring buffer game DVR, basically. So the last five minutes of any game you're playing is always being stored locally on your hard drive."

It records the last 7 minutes as BRiT says, but at anytime you can say "Xbox record that" (or whatever the command is) and it saves the last 30 seconds so it isn't lost.

Remember that the 7 minutes is constantly being recorded and deleted. So 7 minutes from when you said that command, that portion of the video no longer exists, except for the 30 seconds that you had it save.

I'd imagine there are also methods to record and save longer segments than just 30 seconds. The 30 seconds just represents an impromptu, "OMG that was cool, I have to save it" while playing a game.

Regards,
SB

Yeah, found another blurb that I edited in. It like SB said, it will just take a quick edit of the clip and send that last 30 second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back