News & Rumors: Xbox One (codename Durango)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this your first console launch? Since when has any console had a "full slate of AAAA games"? At best, there is one system selling title, hoping for any more is crazy talk. I expect a lot of ports and cross-gen games during both launches, much like in the past. Question is which 1-2 studios is going to make Microsoft's AAA launch titles. I'm not expecting anything spectacular and after buying a Wii U last year (and having sold it since), I am extremely hesitant to be an early adopter again.

The 360 offered a relatively strong first year of titles even though titles like Fight Night 3, Oblivion and Graw showed up the following spring. A 6 month delay of some titles is bound to happen.

Its the first year where games aren't really known to tax the hardware, so first year Durango titles can even avoid eSRAM and make traditional use of the 68 GBs of bandwidth and still provide an improvement over 360 titles.

It's becoming clear(er) that this is very much the case of the difficult third album.

Think too much of yourself and drop the ball. The good news is the next one after Durango will be excellent.

It's becoming clear(er) that this is very much the case of the difficult third album.

Think too much of yourself and drop the ball. The good news is the next one after Durango will be excellent.

The Gamecube and Dreamcast asked me to asked you if you had thought about them in a while.

yup. it's actually pretty much strategy to NOT launch a (3d) mario or Halo with a system anymore. You wont be seeing Uncharted 4 debuting on the PS4 launch day either.

Probably makes financial sense too. Userbase is too low. system will sell out regardless. etc etc.

Well, let's face it. After the Halo4 meltdown releasing a Halo 2 HD would be a far bigger attraction to me. At least there we would know that the gameplay and level design worked.

Well, let's face it. After the Halo4 meltdown releasing a Halo 2 HD would be a far bigger attraction to me. At least there we would know that the gameplay and level design worked.

I thought Halo 2 was the worst Halo for level design and gameplay as far as the campaign goes. It has the worst vehicles sections of any Halo game, and lots of them.

Plus they broke a great co-op experience by making legendary too frustrating and heroic too easy for 2.

I wouldn't mind an update though, with the smoother vehicle animation/physics of the first game, and more co-op options.

Wherein you fail to understand the actual point. Wii was a success despite the price not being at all representative of the BOM or hardware capability. That's the take home message - final retail price is not tied to BOM, and only people with zero concept of economics in a free market will keep looking at a BOM and expecting that to reflect the retail price. Retail price can be far higher or lower than BOM, for any product.

bkilian is also right in that buying a console isn't about buying hardware, but buying into an experience. It's like buying a key where the value isn't in the metal that the key is made of, but in the room to which is allows entry. The cost of the console includes the opportunity to buy into platform exclusive games and services, like a paid-membership club. Pay £30 a year to join the diners club, and then you'll be allowed to pay to visit restaurants for special meals at special times that non-members don't have. Nintendo's a good example of that. The value of Nintendo's hardware is greatly tied to the quality of the platform exclusives that it enables you to play. Everyone buying a Nintendo console is buying it to gain access to that library, as if the box of electronics is a key to the Nintendo toy chest.

I think i let it die here since you people are the know it all about all,and any one who challenge that,doesn't know anything,pull things out of its buts or has a rage agenda or something.

You win the xbox 720 is worth every cent on that bom because you people say so.

some of these arguments about cost, pricing and MS evil or aloof ways, could be construed as juvenile to say the least.

Especially considered they have not announced anything yet... some of you guys are bending over backwards to bring something here that isn't really here.

I think i let it die here since you people are the know it all about all,and any one who challenge that,doesn't know anything,pull things out of its buts or has a rage agenda or something.

I think you missed a very big point. Noone is saying the 720 is necessarily worth 500 USD. Or that it isn't. Just companies don't price a product based solely on the BOM. The BOM only sets a minimum price floor which you only go under if you have a VERY good reason. But there is nothing that sets the price ceiling. That is determined entirely by what a company feels it can sell it for based on brand strength, value proposition, level of competition, competition pricing, ability to manufacture X number of units and a whole host of other factors.

It doesn't matter if the BOM of Durango is 50 USD, 100 USD, 150 USD, or whatever. Microsoft will sell the product based on things other than the BOM. Consumers will buy it at whatever price they feel is appropriate for the hardware and the services it offers as well as any brand strength.

Some products have a margin of 10%. Some products have a margin of over 200%. Microsoft will price at whatever they think consumers will buy it at in X quantities.

Regards,
SB

Both flopped sales wise, both remembered fondly as good machines though.

Do you think gamers consider the PS3 and the N64 lesser/bad machines?

Durango's only video output is HDMI, no VGA or composite, is PS4 doing the same?
And wouldn't this be another annoyance for people playing on older TV sets?

I imagine not any worse than Live being broadband only when the majority of homes were still on dial up connections.

Since you can't participate in this discussion as an adult, I suggest you take some time off to rethink how you interact with others on this site.

The point is to have an open discussion and not keep parroting the same close-minded notes over and over again.

Except you could still play games just not go on LIVE if you didn't have a broadband connection.

What does that have to do with your HDMI comment which elicited my response? The penetration of HDMI is alot higher now than the penetration of broadband during the launch of Live.

No HDMI TV then a HDMI to component/AV is your best bet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, that they're not comparable in terms of inconvenience? Not being able to play online because you don't have broadband is one thing but not being able to use your console at all because your set doesn't have HDMI is another.

It might not be a big deal anymore given that the most gamers now have HDTVs (75% of households in the US) - except if people want to use the old TV in their garage or bedroom for Durango, or take it on holidays where you only have older TV sets etc

Thanks for that

Last edited by a moderator:
Rumors mean nothing, pretty much. The internet is basically one giant echo chamber, someone posts a rumor somewhere, others repost it elsewhere - hopefully unchanged, but not always, like the game of chinese whispers. This reposting is often misinterpreted as "confirmation" of the rumor, weird, I know. So it bounces around a bit, and boom, suddenly people see it as gospel truth.

Truer words couldn't have been spoken. Rumors and leaks are nice to get, they give you from subtle to direct hints about the general direction of the truth. But people don't treat them with the caution that they should, as the industry journalism as of late (represents) has been horrible. HORRIBLE. No one is vetting their sources for accuracy or credibility. It's interesting but if you circle around and follow enough of these links you'll come to a forum where some anonymous has made a comment. That's it. Nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back